disman00911

Dirt Sliding Pads on a Grass Baseball Field

Don't know where to put this topic as it has nothing to with sports logos/uniforms.  I just stumbled into this clip of the Old Timers Game in 1982 that was held at RFK Stadium in Washington DC during the 30+ period of having no MLB team.  Notice anything different about the playing surface?  It lacks an all-dirt infield.  I associate dirt sliding pads more with the stadiums that had Astroturf at the time (Astrodome, Three Rivers, Veterans, Busch, Riverfront, Olympic, Exhibition, Kingdome, Metrodome, & Royals Stadium). RFK Stadium always had grass.   So weird to see an MLB stadium with grass but without an all-dirt infield.  The Blue Jays were the last team to have dirt sliding pads as the Rogers Centre (formerly Skydome) has featured an all-dirt infield for several years now. 

link to the full game here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgBtD2CryV4&t=494s

My God, it's an abomination...

I mean all the dirt sliding pad fields were, but to see a grass field so sullied...

Never saw that before.  Guess if it wasn't a full time baseball stadium, it was less damaging to the field than tearing up enough grass to make a whole diamond.

High school teams in Ohio have done this to minimize the time it takes a field to dry out after rain showers. One school that did that was Indian Valley ( Gnadenhutten, Oh). I'm not sure if they still use it, the change occurred in the late 1990's when the school was formed after consolidation.

10 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

High school teams in Ohio have done this to minimize the time it takes a field to dry out after rain showers. One school that did that was Indian Valley ( Gnadenhutten, Oh). I'm not sure if they still use it, the change occurred in the late 1990's when the school was formed after consolidation.

There’s at least one school we play every year that does this. Can’t remember if there’s any more or not, but I have seen and coached on one.