Major League Rugby Thread

kiwi_canadian

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...

It's supposedly the name of a new cocktail that the parent company plans to release soon. So basically the team is one big advertisement now... 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

This really seems like something a minor league baseball team would do for a one off promo night. I might even think it was good for that. 

But for a rugby team in a league that is the top level on our continent, and trying to be taken seriously as such, this feels like a really wrong move. Which is disappointing because a lot of the other initiatives the new ownership group has announced will be really good for rugby in the area. 

What's worse is that it's named after a new "Texas sized cocktail", and they've also trademarked names like "gilacolada" "gil julep" "giltini".......... and all of that is because one of the investor's last name is Gilchrist. 🙄

https://trademarks.justia.com/owners/giltini-group-llc-4229721/

Okay, the logos themselves. I feel like we're still waiting on a primary logo. They've release the wordmark and monogram as those are relatively easy to come up with and this seems to have happened quickly. I pray to god we don't get a cartoon cocktail glass with a face.

Edit to say: I do actually like the "AG's" monogram. If I was an Austin fan I'd just refer to them as the Ay-Gee's, and not dignify that name by speaking it.

15 hours ago, jonny24 said:

This really seems like something a minor league baseball team would do for a one off promo night. I might even think it was good for that. 

But for a rugby team in a league that is the top level on our continent, and trying to be taken seriously as such, this feels like a really wrong move. Which is disappointing because a lot of the other initiatives the new ownership group has announced will be really good for rugby in the area. 

What's worse is that it's named after a new "Texas sized cocktail", and they've also trademarked names like "gilacolada" "gil julep" "giltini".......... and all of that is because one of the investor's last name is Gilchrist. 🙄

Okay, the logos themselves. I feel like we're still waiting on a primary logo. They've release the wordmark and monogram as those are relatively easy to come up with and this seems to have happened quickly. I pray to god we don't get a cartoon cocktail glass with a face.

Edit to say: I do actually like the "AG's" monogram. If I was an Austin fan I'd just refer to them as the Ay-Gee's, and not dignify that name by speaking it.

Totally agree. Their plans for local rugby are fantastic and could/should be a model that all professional clubs should abide by. As for the name, it seems like they really are trying to be like the MLS with the ridiculous names like "Clash" or "Mutiny"... the terrible name is sort of made up by a not too bad monogram logo. Hopefully we will see an actual logo and kits soon. 

32 minutes ago, kiwi_canadian said:

Totally agree. Their plans for local rugby are fantastic and could/should be a model that all professional clubs should abide by. As for the name, it seems like they really are trying to be like the MLS with the ridiculous names like "Clash" or "Mutiny"... the terrible name is sort of made up by a not too bad monogram logo. Hopefully we will see an actual logo and kits soon. 

I'd say this falls under the ACME Packers idea more so than MLS. Those ideas came from Nike rather than the specific team itself. I wonder how many folks looking for Austin Herd tickets will see this and just blow it off. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

6 hours ago, kiwi_canadian said:

What they do not show on these kits is that players have large front numbers as well as name plates (that tend to start peeling off during games). The kits were okay but went downhill after the addition of front numbers and name plates.

Austin vs. Toronto highlights

That's just terrible. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 1/30/2020 at 4:31 PM, kiwi_canadian said:

So this happened rather quickly. The Austin Elite, who changed to Austin Herd for the start of the season are now the Austin Gigronis... no idea what that is.

https://www.austinherd.com/news/austin-gilgronis-take-on-new-ownership-and-find-new-home-at-circuit-of-the-americas-for-2020-season/

On 1/30/2020 at 4:39 PM, chcarlson23 said:

It's supposedly the name of a new cocktail that the parent company plans to release soon. So basically the team is one big advertisement now... 

On 1/30/2020 at 6:52 PM, jonny24 said:

Whenever I think about the Gilgronis nickname and its raison d'être, I cannot help but be reminded of the handful of North American professional sports teams that used or at least flirted with sponsored nicknames during the 1990s and even in the earliest years of the 21st century -- minor-league hockey's Detroit Vipers (sponsored by automaker Chrysler), indoor soccer's Detroit Neon (the product of another sponsorship agreement with Chrysler), the Arena Football League's Miami Hooters (yes, the restaurant chain paid its way into that team's name), etc.  Even the NBA came close to jumping on the bandwagon of sponsored names of teams when the Grizzlies left Vancouver; an early plan for a sponsorship deal with FedEx once the Grizzlies chose Memphis as their new home included a renaming of the team as the Memphis Express, and a rival pitch from Louisville contained a proposal by Kentucky Fried Chicken to pay millions of dollars not only for naming rights to the arena being offered to the Grizz, but also to change the team's name to the Kentucky Colonels, a revival of the identity of Louisville's beloved and consistently winning franchise in the original American Basketball Association.

I feel like there's something a little different about naming a team after a beloved figure, of the Kentucky Colonel, then a brand-new cocktail. Who even knows how successful it'll be. It feels like a huge leap for the owners to make a couple more bucks on drink sales. This isn't even like a popular Texas drink they're being named after! It's a random, nobody-knows-what-it-is that they named the team after. And it's not even a good name! They should have just named the drink the Herd, or something to that effect, and left the team name. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

• 3 months later...

I like where this is going! Will this guy run out of drinks he invented or teams he can name them after first? Will his business get big enough to rename the G League the GILeague?

Also, writing this post made me realize there are goalposts in the LA.

Archived