in_a_rush

Modern Day Arena Football Concepts (Grand Rapids Posted)

As a fantasy geek, D&D player, etc. I get what you are trying to do with the Forest Dragons, but something about it just doesn't work for me.

I might come back to Portland since it sounds like it isn't quite a winner yet, but for now I'm going to keep moving forward while I experiment with the Forest Dragons logo some more. I again looked to challenge myself with this update, but it felt like a place where some touchups would do some good and not many others have tried to handle in the past. Here is the Minnesota Fighting Pike!

I wanted to maintain what they were going for with the 'muddy' color scheme but still get a little more vibrance and contrast between colors so I made the main color a midpoint between the old logo's yellow and dark olive? colors. I tried to simplify the fish, while making the way its body is twisting around still clear. I'm not 100% sold about the face right now to be honest, but I'm not sure what to do to get it better. Pike faces are just kind of weird looking I think to begin with which doesn't help much haha.

I wanted the helmet to come off kind of like the fish was jumping out of murky water, which then lets the fish sort of wrap around the top for a stripe-like effect while also being the side logo. I put the wordmark in the front to help fill in the negative space there.

spacer.png

On 6/21/2020 at 6:59 PM, Sebastianm said:

Looks much better than the original, though it looks off for some reason.

Thanks, I'll take it! I think the face could be improved but I still haven't gotten it working any better; they're just kind of a weird looking fish in my view haha.

Anyway, I got distracted for a time but decided to come back to this. Here's an update to the Grand Rapids Rampage! This one I didn't want to change too much, but I took some of the little detail marks out to simplify it in some areas, and added a darker shade of red to give it some depth. On the helmet, it felt natural to do a wide, tapered stripe based off the main horn of the logo

spacer.png

I think the Forest Dragons and the Pike still need a little bit of refinement.

* I think it's ok if the dragon has flames.  Maybe the "forest" can be him breathing fire onto a tree growing footballs or something.

* Soomething about the new pike looks "flat".  Maybe it's the tan color, not sure.  What if you had it catching a football (different from the Miami Dolphins' alternate, of course) in its mouth?  Or maybe it's body is arched over a diagonal football instead of catching it (this hides the "back" fin, of course).

Just my 2 cents, of course....

Simplifying the Rhino logo was a good move

I love the horn stripe on the helmet