Utah Pioneers concept (Jazz rebrand)

OHK

The Jazz nickname for a professional team based in Utah has always confused me.

Yes, I'm certain if you look hard enough, there's a jazz subculture in Utah, because there's a jazz subculture in every state. Yet while Jazz seems fitting for a team based in New Orleans, the fact that it has never changed in over forty years since the franchise relocated to the Wasatch Front is surprising to an outside observer. There may be a strong brand attachment to the Jazz name at this point, but for my first ever concept, I decided to rebrand the Jazz entirely, focusing on a nickname that seems more culturally / historically appropriate for a Salt Lake City team (at least to an outsider). Thus, introducing the Utah Pioneers! 

Logo set:

spacer.png

Home:

spacer.png

Away:

spacer.png

Alternates:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Again, this is the first time I've ever put something together like this, so all feedback is welcome and wanted!

Cool concept - and very interesting! Love the name and the sides were cool! The uniforms reminds me a bit of OKC. All in all it is new and exciting, and I gotta say that pioneers is a great team name(!) 

I can understand the navy and orange, however I feel blue in general with orange is already in use, ref OKC and Knicks. 

I wonder how the uniform and logo would look with mountain purple and blue, maybe navy, yellow and green? Or even the city edition colours?

Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; en orðstír deyr aldregi hveim er sér góðan getr.

This is an awesome concept! The style reminds me of late-60s/early-70s logo design, like the Kansas City Kings, Buffalo Braves, and, in hockey, the Minnesota North Stars and Quebec Nordiques. I'm a big fan of that style, and it especially stands out since so many concepts on this board are more modern (not that there's anything wrong with that either).

The striping along the side is a good way to echo the Jazz's city edition without letting the gradient take over entirely. I do agree with @Tore that a different choice of primary colours may be better, though. The pastels you used here are pretty unique, which is good, but i might consider focusing on the purple and lighter blue from your palette.

I'm not sure if you've seen it, but the concept of a wagon wheel logo reminds me of the Saskatoon Quakers---I like your execution, and the subtle inclusion of a basketball, better though.

Archived