NHL Rethink. (32/32 - Washington added, let's wrap this sucker up?)

Edubdesign

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So like every other designer, I put together something with the Seattle Kraken. Thing is, I made up another design (using a logo that Dylan Nowak made a while ago and put up for anyone to use) months back and I figure I'd show 'em both off.

First, here's what we got (and a couple jerseys I think we should get)

0WmibOR.pngE51xFjj.png0rpRS9T.pngDOI566A.pngIpnwskw.png

And now, here's what I thought we'd see with the Seattle Totems.

F3ZknHB.pngxfsXw8e.pngzwhw35q.pngjvPgR0J.pngZ3r82rX.png

Sorry it's been a bit since I've checked it out, but you've got some more good stuff here!

For Seattle, I do like the added pants striping, and the Metros fauxback is fun.

Your take on the Totems have a really nice color scheme, though I'd prefer the salmon limited to small accents like the Kraken did with red. The laurel & gear design doesn't really make any sense to me as a Seattleite though... and the wordmark in the logo is not my favorite.

The wavy clash would really excellent as a green & blue jersey, IMO, and the big S alt could go red & green as a Metros tribute to complete the set.

Definitely agree with the others, St Louis's alt is awesome, but you should match the thickness of the staff stripes throughout. Home & away are solid; I'd go with navy & yellow collar though.

That font is nice and surprisingly suited for Pittsburgh! I'd suggest trying it for the diagonal text rather than the ghosted block letters.

Minnesota's tree alt and LA's graffiti alt are beautiful. Absolutely perfect!

Same with Edmonton's clash and alt; miles above the home & away. You should go for that gear logo throughout.

I'd go back to the drawing board on Florida, personally. The Vice jersey design is fine but that logo doesn't work in neon IMO. The home & away feel pretty awkward, with the gradient AND sun (either of which might work on their own) AND especially the mismatched stripes that seem to lack a color hierarchy.

Overall, more really outstanding and quite unique stuff here!

17 hours ago, vtgco said:

Sorry it's been a bit since I've checked it out, but you've got some more good stuff here!

For Seattle, I do like the added pants striping, and the Metros fauxback is fun.

Your take on the Totems have a really nice color scheme, though I'd prefer the salmon limited to small accents like the Kraken did with red. The laurel & gear design doesn't really make any sense to me as a Seattleite though... and the wordmark in the logo is not my favorite.

The wavy clash would really excellent as a green & blue jersey, IMO, and the big S alt could go red & green as a Metros tribute to complete the set.

Definitely agree with the others, St Louis's alt is awesome, but you should match the thickness of the staff stripes throughout. Home & away are solid; I'd go with navy & yellow collar though.

That font is nice and surprisingly suited for Pittsburgh! I'd suggest trying it for the diagonal text rather than the ghosted block letters.

Minnesota's tree alt and LA's graffiti alt are beautiful. Absolutely perfect!

Same with Edmonton's clash and alt; miles above the home & away. You should go for that gear logo throughout.

I'd go back to the drawing board on Florida, personally. The Vice jersey design is fine but that logo doesn't work in neon IMO. The home & away feel pretty awkward, with the gradient AND sun (either of which might work on their own) AND especially the mismatched stripes that seem to lack a color hierarchy.

Overall, more really outstanding and quite unique stuff here!

Thank you - some great comments and some constructive criticism here.

Florida was a tough one to do. They've never had a great look to draw on in my view, so that was a kind of "throw everything against the wall and hope it sticks" thing. Same with the Totems design - it was just me thinking "where do we even start?"

The victory stripes should only be visible if they're lifting the Stanley Cup but besides that it looks great and is a definite improvement over what they use now.  The logo looks great on the black jersey and I appreciate that the championship winning look is represented.

The stripe pattern on the home and away for the Leafs is what I remember from watching Leafs games as a kid (even though it was just on the socks) so I'm glad you've brought it back and extended it to the sleeves as well. On the other hand, I think the current Leafs logo is the best they've ever had, so I don't love the idea of going back to the Harold Ballard era wordmark, but I could live with it. It's somewhat heretical for me to say as a Leafs fan, but I think they should remove the team name from inside the leaf. I'd rather see something like this alternate logo on the front of the jerseys, but I digress. I really like the idea of mixing St. Pats colours with the leaf; it always feels weird to me to wear a jersey with a team name that's not your team name, but at the same time, it's cool to tie the identity back to the St. Pats.

As for the alternate, I like it! I'm assuming the inspiration for the double white stripes and the font is either the flag of Toronto or the Blue Jays font, but either way I think it works! The '3' in the jersey number looks a little funky to me, but it's OK. Using a more dynamic looking leaf is a good idea, and I like the general shape of this one, but I think the third point from the top (counting the very top point as "first") should be a bit "spikier" to match the ones on either side. The sublimated navy leaf on the royal of the jersey is an interesting element; I can't think of anything comparable in the NHL right now, but I always like to see more experimental ideas in concepts. I've always thought of silver as the Leafs "third colour", probably because of this alternate logo but the double blue works too. It meshes with the other Toronto teams too, as the Argos have always been double blue and the Blue Jays also use two blues (three now if you count powder). I would be pretty happy if they were to unveil this as an alternate! Great work overall!

Also, much credit to you for not making a black and gold alternate! I don't like that colour scheme for the Raptors, but I think it would be even worse and make even less sense for the Leafs.

Four teams left. Here's Vancouver - bit of the past, bit of the present with a very detailed alternate. I took a lot of inspiration from the Grizzlies there, including with the pattern - in the same way the Grizzlies' Haida pattern shows a claw and an eye repeating, this one features the new Haida "V" with the top fin of a whale.

1VamDZv.pngpiWBIaV.pngJXlgIJ3.pngWlH6fKe.png

UKvooyb.png

Is the gold alt supposed to be a Knight helmet slot? If so that’s super clever, but the execution is a little off. It looks like a check mark rather than the Knights logo. I would tweak it to make it a little more like a V. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Archived