Sacrilege, Heresy, and Blasphemy. Montréal Canadiens Logo and Jersey Redesign

Midwest_surfer

I redesigned the Habs logo for an alternate jersey and instead of doing something based on their historic jerseys I decided to go super modern.

spacer.png

The crest has 3 main parts. The very center is a Fleur De Lis in honor of their home province of Quebec (at the risk of drawing too much of a comparison to the Nordiques). I made it the center of an M for Montréal with the two “wings” on either side. I also separated the top part of the Fleur De Lis to make it the flame of a torch made from the bottom part, referencing the team motto “Nos bras meurtris vous tendent le flambeau, à vous toujours de le porter bien haut.” Or in English “To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.”

spacer.png

The team’s hanger effect on their current jersey is the first part of that line, so I added the second part as this jersey’s hanger effect, completing the line of the poem and creating some vague symbolism of the classic jerseys passing the torch to this modern take.

The chest and arm stripes were made thinner and modernized with the removal of the bottom white stripe and the addition of 24 ghosted Fleur De Lis on the chest, obviously representing the 24 cups they have won.

I tried this jersey in blue at first, with the thought that there would then be a jersey in their arsenal for each color, “Bleu, Blanc, et Rouge”, but it kept looking either too much like a Rangers jersey or a Leafs jersey so I abandoned that idea and stuck with red.

I know I will be labeled a heretic for messing with the Canadiens crest, but I thought it was a cool way to modernize the look of the oldest team in the league.

Please C+C. Thanks in advance.

It's sick, disturbing and sacrilegious. I love it.

My only question is about the fleur-de-lis though - the Nordiques already pretty much hold a claim on that as an element. What would happen if they came back? Would the Habs have to redesign again?

3 minutes ago, Edubdesign said:

It's sick, disturbing and sacrilegious. I love it.

My only question is about the fleur-de-lis though - the Nordiques already pretty much hold a claim on that as an element. What would happen if they came back? Would the Habs have to redesign again?

I think it depends on who owns that branding. If the Avs own it, the new team would probably have to go with something new entirely. If it’s a Winnipeg situation, no big deal, this is just meant to be a 3rd jersey anyway.

The Nords have been gone for longer than they were in the NHL at this point (I know they were around before they joined the NHL for longer but still) and with QC getting passed up for a team again, it doesn’t look like the NHL wants a team there, despite how much that city deserves it.

whoa.. that a bit extreme but if it is usable as a 3rd jersey yeah good idea. .the main jerseys need to be left alone as is as it's historical and more of how the Canadiens are recalled and talked about as legendary for many years... 

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

Archived