Evolution of the Ravens Uniform

23 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Regardless, the Ravens are a team that can get away with the yoga pants look - when they wear their purple jerseys with the black pants. 

2-15-unis.jpg

Sorry, but that looks ridiculous.

Especially chicken legs Flacco.  

Yeah from the waist down he looks like a female model posing for a shoot.

I'm fine with solid black, but you could also put purple strips on them to match the helmet, or even white and gold.  It's fine either way.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 6/6/2020 at 8:28 AM, Jezus_Ghoti said:

Have always felt the Ravens are a team that are just a few tiny tweaks away from pretty close to timeless. Get the B out of the logo. Kill those dumb helmet stripes. Get stripes on the black pants. Wear purple socks with the black pants. That's about all they need. The number font and secondary logo aren't great, but I can live with them.

The unfortunate reality is that if/when the Ravens do a redesign, they are sure to go way overboard with changes.

I would be fine with removing the B from the helmet logo and calling it a day . . . and maybe putting stripes on the black pants, but I'm not sure what type would work best.

A surprising number of people on the Ravens FB page were really, really itching for a change.  Those people scare me.

On 6/5/2020 at 7:43 PM, WSU151 said:

The current Ravens wordmark has those big serifs...putting them back on the numbers would look pretty good. I think they really only affected 1, 2, and 7.

This isn't a game worn...but pushing the numbers looks way better than the bad spacing of the '96 unis:

You raise a really good point about the spacing.  It was especially bad on the anything with a 1.

spacer.pngspacer.png

On 6/6/2020 at 7:44 PM, Buc said:

I present my "shot" at it...

shot-cropped-1585982301288.png

When the Ravens selected the new logo, they conducted a vote in conjunction with the Baltimore Sun that included three options.  I don't remember all of the choices, but this is the profile view they used in the vote . . . and what I assume was the inspiration for Buc's tremendous (as always) update.  The actual current logo wasn't used/didn't exist.

spacer.png

I voted for this one because I thought it would work better on a helmet than any kind of shield logo.

My assumption has always been that Art Modell insisted on finding a way to shoehorn a B into the logo, which is how we wound up with the current logo.  From the time of the move, he was very big on making connections to Baltimore in the team's marketing at a time when the Orioles almost never used the word Baltimore in their marketing (and hadn't used it on a uniform in 23 years).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

30 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

When the Ravens selected the new logo, they conducted a vote in conjunction with the Baltimore Sun that included three options.  I don't remember all of the choices, but this is the profile view they used in the vote . . . and what I assume was the inspiration for Buc's tremendous (as always) update.  The actual current logo wasn't used/didn't exist.

spacer.png

I voted for this one because I thought it would work better on a helmet than any kind of shield logo.

My assumption has always been that Art Modell insisted on finding a way to shoehorn a B into the logo, which is how we wound up with the current logo.  From the time of the move, he was very big on making connections to Baltimore in the team's marketing at a time when the Orioles almost never used the word Baltimore in their marketing (and hadn't used it on a uniform in 23 years).

Correct. I aimed for a fusion of the current logo and that one in my update...as wonky as that unused logo looks, the idea of it is too good to be tossed to the wayside (not to mention it being reversible without unnecessary letters pasted to the side of its head). 

Kind of a side note, but I believe the Ravens actually have one of the best identities on the NFL, and one of the most distinguishable in all of pro sports.  It's also got a lot of equity behind it now, with it basically having been the same now for over 20 years, not to mention (not that I put a heap of stock into this, but still) two Super Bowls won under this identity.  I do believe they could use a good refresh (which means I better get on the ball about the one I been chipping at for months now)--but it'd be a huge mistake to throw all that out in favor of going full Swoosh (see Snatit, Tennessee for how bad that can turn out).  The last thing the Ravens need to be looking like is the Oregon Ducks of the NFL (at least circa 2016; they've toned down considerably since then).

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

The older I get, the more I appreciate their original set. I think the team has an opportunity to take their visual identity in a much more refined, unique direction than most teams. Their training facility is a great example:

baltimore-ravens-corporate-hq-and-traini

They might be the only team in sports that could get away with something much more dark, muted, and even gothic than most teams, and especially less cartoonish. Their original set has become one of my all-time favorites over time. I'd love to see them shift closer to that direction when the time comes!

2 hours ago, Buc said:

Correct. I aimed for a fusion of the current logo and that one in my update...as wonky as that unused logo looks, the idea of it is too good to be tossed to the wayside (not to mention it being reversible without unnecessary letters pasted to the side of its head). 

Kind of a side note, but I believe the Ravens actually have one of the best identities on the NFL, and one of the most distinguishable in all of pro sports.  It's also got a lot of equity behind it now, with it basically having been the same now for over 20 years, not to mention (not that I put a heap of stock into this, but still) two Super Bowls won under this identity.  I do believe they could use a good refresh (which means I better get on the ball about the one I been chipping at for months now)--but it'd be a huge mistake to throw all that out in favor of going full Swoosh (see Snatit, Tennessee for how bad that can turn out).  The last thing the Ravens need to be looking like is the Oregon Ducks of the NFL (at least circa 2016; they've toned down considerably since then).

It is very good work, as always.

Also, I agree with most of the second paragraph.  My disagreement is with the part about needing a "good refresh".  I don't see the need for much change, if any, particularly since the brand is fairly well established and recognizable now. I also, like you, live in fear of a Titanesque debacle.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

45 minutes ago, C-Squared said:

I did have to double-check & make sure this wasn't Roger Goodell's house 😂

Just needs one arrow pointing out the Pringles can and one pointing to the main fieldhouse with "extremely large boi"

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 6/6/2020 at 4:51 PM, oldschoolvikings said:

There you go, moved to "discussions" where no one ever goes so it can quietly disappear.

On 6/6/2020 at 5:20 PM, SFGiants58 said:

That’s why the sections need to be merged again. Was it @CC97’s call for the split, or do the mods realize how unpopular the split was?

I kind of like the split, but the Sports Logos section is overall a nearly impossible thing to moderate.  Some threads go on for hundreds of pages, branching off into numerous sidebars.  You'd basically need a dedicated moderator to babysit hot threads to divvy them up in real time, but then the problem goes into how to organize it afterward.

You almost need an entire new nested set of forums/subforums to discuss uniforms by league, then by team.  It would be horrible.

The "general discussion" forum is a nice catch-all, but the Sports Logos News forum needs additional policing for the divide to make more sense.  Not targeting the mods at all, since it's a daunting, tiresome task.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

51 minutes ago, CherryMX said:

The "general discussion" forum is a nice catch-all, but the Sports Logos News forum needs additional policing for the divide to make more sense.  Not targeting the mods at all, since it's a daunting, tiresome task.

Like I said in the megathread-policy feedback post, it's an unnecessary daunting, tiresome task.  Activity keeps real news threads at the top and prevents them from being lost in between 'discussion' posts, and the bot posts wouldn't need to be moved as much.

How come nobody points out the hidden W and M in the Raven profile logo?  I'm sure it's as intentional as the 'hidden' E in the Eagles logo is.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

13 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

How come nobody points out the hidden W and M in the Raven profile logo?  I'm sure it's as intentional as the 'hidden' E in the Eagles logo is.

The what now?

3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Like I said in the megathread-policy feedback post, it's an unnecessary daunting, tiresome task.  Activity keeps real news threads at the top and prevents them from being lost in between 'discussion' posts, and the bot posts wouldn't need to be moved as much.

Moving dividing reorganizing also resets your view. When I came to this thread after its move, it didn't recognize that I had previously read some of it in the other forum. So I had to start over. Not bad on a short thread, but it blew chunks back when the LA megathread got merged.

Cuz there's no reason to talk about the Waltimore Mavens. But there is reason to discuss the Philadelphia Eagles. 

It's where I sit.

1 hour ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Moving dividing reorganizing also resets your view. When I came to this thread after its move, it didn't recognize that I had previously read some of it in the other forum. So I had to start over. Not bad on a short thread, but it blew chunks back when the LA megathread got merged.

Cuz there's no reason to talk about the Waltimore Mavens. But there is reason to discuss the Philadelphia Eagles. 

Don't know nothin' 'bout no Waltimore Mavens - I only came here to discuss mickey-mouse themed logos, but I guess that's considered news.

18 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I've posted it before, but this was my shot at the logo with the B removed...

spacer.png

I like this one too.  It does a good job of trying to capture the purple sheen on the feathers of actual ravens.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't normally comment on these boards, I usually just like to watch (heh)...

I play Madden 20 online from time to time, and I've noticed a Ravens uniform that I've never seen before. It's during one of the loading screen waiting for a game to start. It features a Ravens player, current I assume, wearing what appears to be a Ravens home jersey at first glance. The difference being that the numbers look like a mix between their current font and varsity don't. There's also no black shadow. Just white numbers with a gold outline. Also, the shade of purple seems brighter. It reminds of the change in shade that the Rockies made a few years ago, a much more vivid purple. I actually think it looks great and would be a great update for them. 

Has anyone else on this forum ever caught this? The only thing I think it could be is that he's a recently signed player with no "action" photos in a Baltimore uni and it was just a quick photoshop job.

If I ever see it again and can act quick enough, I'll definitely try to snap a picture and post it here.

39 minutes ago, Sith_apprentice said:

I don't normally comment on these boards, I usually just like to watch (heh)...

I play Madden 20 online from time to time, and I've noticed a Ravens uniform that I've never seen before. It's during one of the loading screen waiting for a game to start. It features a Ravens player, current I assume, wearing what appears to be a Ravens home jersey at first glance. The difference being that the numbers look like a mix between their current font and varsity don't. There's also no black shadow. Just white numbers with a gold outline. Also, the shade of purple seems brighter. It reminds of the change in shade that the Rockies made a few years ago, a much more vivid purple. I actually think it looks great and would be a great update for them. 

Has anyone else on this forum ever caught this? The only thing I think it could be is that he's a recently signed player with no "action" photos in a Baltimore uni and it was just a quick photoshop job.

If I ever see it again and can act quick enough, I'll definitely try to snap a picture and post it here.

It's Earl Thomas in a poorly swapped Ravens uniform. That's the Seahawks font

Archived