New Splash Guards Could Help Prevent Spread of Saliva, Sweat in Football

New Splash Guards Could Help Prevent Spread of Saliva, Sweat in Football

June 7, 2020 - 22:03 PM

The world is starting to figure out what will constitute the “new normal” following the lockdown portion of the COVID-19 pandemic. Of course, the sports world is no different. With football seasons quickly approaching all across the country, one company […]

Read More...

I shared this in the NFL LA uniform thread:

jjNEZgf.png

I'm so glad I spent all that time tracking down that image from 1994. It looks like they were predicting a full face shield back then. Assuming you could develop a non-fogging, non-breaking material that still allows for peripheral vision, that seems like the way to go? You also kill of facemask penalties, which are generally just as ambiguously called as PI or holding.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Or when someone wants water...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

2 hours ago, Buc said:

Or when someone wants water...

Presumably the mask would flip up like Iron Man, which would be hella sweet.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

3 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

I'm assuming water bottles will probably be avoided, so most likely players will have to remove their helmets regardless. At least unsnap the chinstrap to drink water from a cup. 

This raises an interesting question. Since the 'splash guard' only works when you have your helmet on, what about the guys on the sideline who aren't wearing helmets? You'd almost need a second mask under the facemask for when the helmets come off. 

1415859239272588976.gif

Otherwise, what's the point when you're having conversations like this on the sidelines? 

11898839745_36be273df7_o.gif

Maybe something worn around the neck that they can slide on/off as needed? It'd need to be Dri-Fit material or else they'd be waterboarding themselves with their own sweat.  

P0.jpg

154495.jpg

Either that, or require helmets stay on at all times -- but some guys need to give their heads a chance to breathe. 

5UAyZJggdOeHw_DsJO89mKgsFFLpz9SYmMzEA9jf

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

4 hours ago, Skycast said:

Man, I played the shiz out of that game back in the day.

Cyberball was good, but I preferred High Impact Football.

From an equipment guy on the college football subreddit,

My $.02 as an equipment guy:

I haven't seen this in person yet, but my main concerns are fogging, rain, and difficulty breathing.

-Even the some of the best 'anti-fogging' stuff out there still will get foggy, and for $25 a set, I doubt this is super high end. Not to mention how easy it will be to get dirty with mud, sweat, scratches, and saliva

-If it rains, not a single player is going to want to wear this. If you look close enough during any game where it rains, its a fire drill on the sideline of players finding the equipment guys to take their visors off after the series they're in. You just can't see out of them when it rains.

-Especially during camp/August/September this thing will be super hard to breathe in. A couple of schools I've been around have trainer staffs who won't even let guys wear visors during camp because it limits how well you can breathe in the hot and humid.

Its good to see companies innovating though, I just don't know if this is it

IbjBaeE.png

41 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

From an equipment guy on the college football subreddit,

he's dead on on all of these, as an athletic trainer in HS fb for 20 years, I have always been equipment helper guy. I don't think this is going to be successful, especially in hot and humid  states like Louisiana. 

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

9 hours ago, j'villejags said:

This raises an interesting question. Since the 'splash guard' only works when you have your helmet on, what about the guys on the sideline who aren't wearing helmets? You'd almost need a second mask under the facemask for when the helmets come off. 

1415859239272588976.gif

Otherwise, what's the point when you're having conversations like this on the sidelines? 

11898839745_36be273df7_o.gif

Maybe something worn around the neck that they can slide on/off as needed? It'd need to be Dri-Fit material or else they'd be waterboarding themselves with their own sweat.  

P0.jpg

154495.jpg

Either that, or require helmets stay on at all times -- but some guys need to give their heads a chance to 

Dog cones

Archived