Old Guys in "Modern" Uniforms

Hi, all. Someone wanted to make a thread about this a while back, but I'll do it. :)

It is crazy to think, that some athletes late in their careers, experience a change in their team's logo and uniforms. This has been common since at least 1970, when Major League Baseball introduced its first pullover jersey/beltless pants combo uniform set. I'll get the ball rolling.

Dkz6p_3VsAAjM_O.jpg

Bill Mazeroski, Pirates hero in the 1960 World Series, won another World Series ring in 1971 wearing the Pirates' ultra-modern pullover jersey/beltless pants combo; he played the last two and a half seasons in it. :D

110338474.jpg.f6c903db4f1a47ea693cc9503f

Yes, we know this has been mentioned, but John Elway closed out his career in the new Nike-engineered Broncos uniforms. This is a rare photo of him wearing the all-blue combo, which was only worn in the 1997 preseason.

UBwef0L.png

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's Morton Anderson:

mortenn.jpg

This, but the Elway photo specifically, show how silly adults look while wearing jerseys.  Some even while playing.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Also, Gary Anderson.

xmJguuwdUneC8kFi_yij588ztzRfyUNLiGdCKhNl 

FWIW, here he is in the previous style:

gary-anderson-of-the-philadelphia-eagles

Note that photo was from 1995 - the only season they had stitched-twill numbers.  You can tell because the black outline is super thin.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

55 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Here's Morton Anderson:

mortenn.jpg

This, but the Elway photo specifically, show how silly adults look while wearing jerseys.  Some even while playing.

It helps your point that his shoulder pads look like manboobs. 

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

great-one-wayne-gretzky-new-york-rangers

Daniel Alfredsson

83821849.0.jpg

Mike Modano

32226.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

8 hours ago, nash61 said:

great-one-wayne-gretzky-new-york-rangers

His Jofa helmet makes it so much worse. One of the ugliest helmets ever created.

Old style helmets, especially in hockey, make the old guys in modern uniforms look so much worse.

selanne-farewell-5-17.jpg?w=1000

I wore the newer Lemieux/Selanne Jofa growing up and that was right up there in ugliness too. 

15 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Also, Gary Anderson.

xmJguuwdUneC8kFi_yij588ztzRfyUNLiGdCKhNl 

FWIW, here he is in the previous style:

gary-anderson-of-the-philadelphia-eagles

Note that photo was from 1995 - the only season they had stitched-twill numbers.  You can tell because the black outline is super thin.

Gary Anderson on the Titans is the funniest example

82899810_display_image.jpg?1299785469th?id=OIP.a0je2w6l7qBry2FvfKLjiAAAAA&pid

He looks like somebody's uncle won a sweepstakes where you get to sit on the sidelines in full uniform. I guess they couldn't find him a navy blue bar for his "facemask". 

PvO6ZWJ.png

20 hours ago, johnnysama said:

110338474.jpg.f6c903db4f1a47ea693cc9503f

Yes, we know this has been mentioned, but John Elway closed out his career in the new Nike-engineered Broncos uniforms. This is a rare photo of him wearing the all-blue combo, which was only worn in the 1997 preseason.

IIRC and somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but Elway is the reason they didn't wear the blue pants again after that preseason game. The plan was to wear the blue pants with the blue jerseys for every game. The white pants with the orange stripe were kind of rushed to the team.

PvO6ZWJ.png

16 hours ago, j'villejags said:

It helps your point that his shoulder pads look like manboobs. 

You sure they're not manboobs?

5 hours ago, stumpygremlin said:

Can we please be sure to include names for each picture? The last one, for example, I don't know who is in the Ottawa and Dallas sweaters. That would be extremely helpful! :)

Look at other threads - to be a member of this forum you need to know who every hockey player that is currently playing or has every played is.

For purposes of this thread, the player should look old, which generally means the photos will be older, since people in general look younger now than they did back when they smoked, drank, dipped, and whored rather than train, supplement, and whore like they do now.

Archived