Pittsburgh Steelers OT Zach Banner Advocates For Black Lives Matter Helmet Decals

Pittsburgh Steelers OT Zach Banner Advocates For Black Lives Matter Helmet Decals

June 10, 2020 - 07:21 AM

In the two weeks since George Floyd’s death at the hands of Minneapolis police, numerous collegiate and professional athletes and coaches have spoken out about racial injustices in our communities. That includes Pittsburgh Steelers offensive tackle Zach Banner, who recently […]

Read More...

The NFL already drew a line in the sand with a few other equally-noble causes on the basis that there are simply too many good causes to keep it from getting out of control - "all or nothing" was the only reasonable conclusion to draw. I wonder if they'll crack on this one, though...

5 minutes ago, C-Squared said:

The NFL already drew a line in the sand with a few other equally-noble causes on the basis that there are simply too many good causes to keep it from getting out of control - "all or nothing" was the only reasonable conclusion to draw. I wonder if they'll crack on this one, though...

Goddell MAY have painted them into a corner on that one, but owners will also feel free to Vero something they're not passionate about. No one would lose sleep if they say no. 

13 minutes ago, walkerws said:

Goddell MAY have painted them into a corner on that one, but owners will also feel free to Vero something they're not passionate about. No one would lose sleep if they say no. 

They don't call themselves "woke" for nothing! 😂

This upcoming season is going to be a dumpster fire of division for NFL fans. I actually feel a little bad for Goodell & I have no idea how he will balance this movement with the huge "stand for the flag" fanbase.

My late brother was a vet and I stand for the flag if only in his honor at this point. I also have no issue with the ones who decide to take a knee for social justice. So I think I kind of understand both sides.

I hear a lot of people saying that the NFL can't win. I think there is a way of coming out looking at least okay on both sides. However the simple solution requires the NFL to lessen their greed. They need to stop taking money from the Department of Defense and get rid of the national anthem part of the pregame festivities. It is a very sensitive matter for both sides. The NFL needs to show that they care about social injustice. Also, this allows the ones who want to stand up to the injustices to display it in other creative ways. But they need to be allowed to have that opportunity. To appease the "you are disrespecting the military" crowd, have a military celebration of some sort in November or at least the weekend closest to Veteran's Day. But it would have to go beyond wearing camouflage and/or flag themed apparel. 

It's not a perfect solution but it is better than the status quo. 

I've never understood what the national anthem and the giant flag ceremonies have to do with pro sports at all.  We don't salute when Target opens in the morning, so I'm not sure why we have to when another private company starts their day.  The national government isn't sponsoring the game and it's not an international contest like the Olympics, so there's really no reason for any of that other than to rile up the "U.S.A.!" segment of the crowd.  The paid-for military award thing was a complete joke, and I really can't take any of those things seriously anymore because there's always the doubt of if it's the team pandering, doing it in good faith, or if it's just a recruiting ad.

Professional sports, the military, and nationalism have nothing to do with each other - not sure why some people feel so strongly that they do.

(Auto-post flirts with the-no politics rule)

I bet the NFL would like to have a time machine and go back to before the players were out on the field during the anthem.  But they chose to bring them out (wasn't it part of them actually getting money from the military for showing off their patriotism?) and eventually, this was going to happen.

And, yeah, now they're painted into a corner.  Their primarily black players and their primarily white (nationalist) fan base do not see eye-to-eye on this. The guy screaming "hats off!" in the crowd hates political correctness and over-sensitivity but he's not accepting someone not showing the same reverence for a song that he has.

For me, I've always felt like their are so many causes that the NFL did need to slow it down...I don't miss pinktober and I do think they have to be careful here because inevitably, there'll be calls for them to call out something a little less controversial (e.g., cancer, which they've just toned down) and of course, some saying "how 'bout a Blue Lives Matter one, too?"

• IceCap locked this topic