“Black Lives Matter” to Replace Player Names on EPL Jerseys

“Black Lives Matter” to Replace Player Names on EPL Jerseys

June 13, 2020 - 14:38 PM

When the English Premier League returns on Wednesday, jerseys will read “Black Lives Matter” on the back in place of each player’s name. “We, the players, stand together with the singular objective of eradicating racial prejudice wherever it exists, to […]

Read More...

26 minutes ago, O.C.D said:

I thought the forum adopted a strict no politics stance on posts?

I like to think affirming humanity is not a political statement.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

5 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I like to think affirming humanity is not a political statement.

The problem is people have been disallowed from having an opinion contrary to "It's cool to have BLM on the back of every jersey" because they disagree with that political group. Rather than having an apolitical forum (which we can all participate and be cool with) we now have a forum that is political but only for one side. When you get to look at yourself as "I'm on the good side, they're on the bad side" congratulations. You're thinking in harry potter terms and minimizing a complex political issue

42 minutes ago, O.C.D said:

9 minutes ago, O.C.D said:

The problem is people have been disallowed from having an opinion contrary to "It's cool to have BLM on the back of every jersey" because they disagree with that political group. Rather than having an apolitical forum (which we can all participate and be cool with) we now have a forum that is political but only for one side. When you get to look at yourself as "I'm on the good side, they're on the bad side" congratulations. You're thinking in harry potter terms and minimizing a complex political issue

I'm pretty sure the original post was just a news item reporting that the decision was made. As far as I can read, the report doesn't make a value judgement on the news, just states it.  Is that political? 

2 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I'm pretty sure the original post was just a news item reporting that the decision was made. As far as I can read, the report doesn't make a value judgement on the news, just states it.  Is that political? 

The original post is just the news, granted. I think most people can see that this is a politically charged subject. It just seems like the forum is very proactive on political subjects when it's a certain topic, but picks and chooses when things are considered to be political.

I've seen many posts on here be derailed because they get political. And I THOUGHT there was a conscious on here that we would just stick to sports logos. This topic is INHERENTLY political while trying to couch itself as  being "Non political". Thats hypocritical

2 minutes ago, O.C.D said:

I've seen many posts on here be derailed because they get political. And I THOUGHT there was a conscious on here that we would just stick to sports logos. This topic is INHERENTLY political while trying to couch itself as  being "Non political". Thats hypocritical

It is reporting on a uniform change and nothing else. A uniform change is a uniform change.

bSLCtu2.png

One glance at the motherboard comments shows that people can't help themselves but to comment their personal opinions and feelings rather than any commentary on how the uniforms will look. 

That being said, in an actual comment related to the uniforms, how are they going to fit "Black Lives Matter" on the back of a uniform? I'll admit I'm not the most knowledgeable person on Premier League kits but from what I've looked at, super long surnames general curl in kind of an extreme way. For example:

spacer.png

This picture is from 2015 so if they've had a font update this might not apply. But are they going to change the font?? make it smaller?? just do "BLM"?? I have a feeling it might look kind of awkward aesthetically. 

Do I realllllly wanna say something here? Yeah, I guess. 

This is not a political issue. The news is being reported here, nothing more. Our commentary here is what would make it “political”, but the statement that the EPL is making is an apolitical one, as the organization BLM isn’t a big deal in the UK. In America, however, saying that black people matter is somehow political because an organization has the same name as a common slogan? I just don’t understand why so many people continue to only look at the movement against racism through the lens of a single organization? How brain dead do you have to be to deny people the right to fight against injustice just because the movement they support (the movement being anti-racism) is also supported by a group completely separate from them that sometimes makes questionable choices? Are people trying to be purposefully dense so they don’t have to engage with the situation or acknowledge their privilege, or are they just naturally that dumb?

As for what they’ll do? Since it’s the same nameplate for everybody who decides to switch, my guess is they’ll use a condensed version of their current NOB font and make sure it sizes appropriately to a standard jersey. There’s no reason for it to look stupid or curl around the numbers if it’s a preset NOB (which is what it looks like it'll be).

EDIT: I read the EPL statement, but essentially it's optional. Both points still stand.

50 minutes ago, Old School Fool said:

It is reporting on a uniform change and nothing else. A uniform change is a uniform change.

...that, surprise surprise, makes everyone in the internet gone cuckoo on their minds.

3 hours ago, Htown1141 said:

Do I realllllly wanna say something here? Yeah, I guess. 

This is not a political issue. The news is being reported here, nothing more. Our commentary here is what would make it “political”, but the statement that the EPL is making is an apolitical one, as the organization BLM isn’t a big deal in the UK. In America, however, saying that black people matter is somehow political because an organization has the same name as a common slogan? I just don’t understand why so many people continue to only look at the movement against racism through the lens of a single organization? How brain dead do you have to be to deny people the right to fight against injustice just because the movement they support (the movement being anti-racism) is also supported by a group completely separate from them that sometimes makes questionable choices? Are people trying to be purposefully dense so they don’t have to engage with the situation or acknowledge their privilege, or are they just naturally that dumb?

As for what they’ll do? Since it’s the same nameplate for everybody who decides to switch, my guess is they’ll use a condensed version of their current NOB font and make sure it sizes appropriately to a standard jersey. There’s no reason for it to look stupid or curl around the numbers if it’s a preset NOB (which is what it looks like it'll be).

EDIT: I read the EPL statement, but essentially it's optional. Both points still stand.

BLM is a political organization who is donated to and has political affiliations. Trying to act like the phrase and the organization are separate is being purposely. By supporting the political organization through publicizing it they're also supporting it financially. That POLITICAL group generates a lot of money and exerts political pressure. This is not an apolitical move

1 hour ago, O.C.D said:

BLM is a political organization who is donated to and has political affiliations. Trying to act like the phrase and the organization are separate is being purposely. By supporting the political organization through publicizing it they're also supporting it financially. That POLITICAL group generates a lot of money and exerts political pressure. This is not an apolitical move

Does it mean what the Premier League did is, in fact, political? Based on this statement, it could be true.

Why are we talking about politics?  No politics are allowed!

Because when POLITICS are discussed I start to compulsively caps the word, and since BLACK people are involved, Harry POTTER libs and kneeling snowflakes emerge.   It’s my DUTY to show them that not only is this discussion NOT ALLOWED, but that Gryffindor shouldn't have had BLM stitched onto their quidditch robes

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

On 6/13/2020 at 10:44 PM, O.C.D said:

This story was posted by a robot for :censored:s sake. You get that @SportsLogos.Net News is an automated account, right? It posts front page CCSLC news regardless of content. It literally doesn't know whether that story is "political" or not. It's a program running a script. 

Now as to why the CCSLC ran a story on this? It's a news story in the realm of sports uniform news. Which, as you know, is the site's primary purpose. 

So Chris wrote a news story for his news site that was relevant to that site's specialization and the forum NewsBot posted a thread about it like it would any other front page story. 

The idea that we went out of our way to promote a story specifically designed to promote a specific political viewpoint is absurd. 

You might suggest that maybe we take time to close these threads but here's the thing- moderation talked about it. We considered a number of options for dealing with NewsBot posts for threads that some could see as political and truth be told? We decided censorship- of our own mothership none the less- wasn't cool. 

Do you want to know a secret though? We mods and Chris? We'd LOVE it if we could talk politics here, or have discussions on the Native team name/logo issue. The reason we ban them is because some people can't help themselves. Some people can't see topics of a political nature without turning into the ugliest sorts of people. 
That's why we tend to bend our own rules on these matters though, and allow leeway from time to time. The HOPE is that *this* time the discussion will be civil. That *this* time we'll see proof that we can open these topics back up. And every time, every G-ddamn time, we're wrong. 

This has been a post born out of sheer frustration from a moderator angry that we can't have nice things. 

• IceCap locked this topic

I will point out that, while we do generally try to avoid politics, the CCSLC Official Guidelines do allow for some discussion if it's relevant to sports or graphic design, which this thread was.

Posts and topics of a political nature or referring to politics, whether explicitly or implicitly, that are not relevant to the topics of sports or graphic design are expressly prohibited on the CCSLC. This includes but is not limited to: jokes; links to news stories; concepts depicting current or recent political figures or using partisan political symbols; or any other content the moderating team deems to be of a politically incendiary nature. Such content also may not be used in members' signatures, user titles, avatars or profiles. Posts and topics referring to politics that are relevant to sports or graphic design must not be overly partisan or incendiary.

Archived