Another WHAT IF? The Federal League survives! CIN added

mcrosby

What if? series seem to be the hottest trend here on CCSLC, so I'm throwing my hat into the ring. This came into being while I was working on uniform sets and rebrands for my recently posted MLB series, you'll see flashes of that here.  

This What if? is a scenario where the Federal League survives into the current, instead of just a few short years from 1913-1915. It also takes some liberties with the probability of 3 leagues surviving and established teams not folding. This series will also follow parts of the alternate future set forward in this article, the main break from our universe being the St. Louis Browns move to LA instead of Baltimore. I'll start you off with my still-somewhat-rough draft of teams in this history. I won't be writing the complex histories of the alternate reality clubs that @SFGiants58 writes for his MLB projects (he's been invited to take that aspect over for me. The offer stands @SFGiants58!

Click images to zoom. 

Like the AL and NL, none of the original 8 teams in the Federal League fold. Some move, some rename, but they all survive in some way. Our reality's expansions are shared with the FL. 

FmGSGW2.png

The American League looks fairly similar to today, aside from the Browns moving to LA, the A's skipping Kansas City, and a new Atlanta club.

Ti9GmPp.png

The National League looks even more similar to our reality than the AL, with the Dodgers and some names being the most affected by the FL and the Browns of this alternate reality. 

PhnooAB.png

The first clubs will be posted soon. 

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BALTIMORE TERRAPINS

Reality: The Terrapins played in 1914 and 1915, and folded with the league. Baltimore eventually made the Majors in 1954 when the St. Louis Browns moved to Baltimore in 1954. 

What if?: The Terrapins survive and become as well known as other clubs that have existed for over 100 years. The O's monicker never comes to fruition, but a nickname at least as unique as Orioles lends to a similarly fun and classic look. 

wvMcWwi.png

1 minute ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

I would love a grey away instead of orange, but the transformation of the Orioles identity into the Terps is great. Is there any reason why the Baltimore franchise wouldn't of adopted the Orioles moniker though? 

I'm staunchly against grey away uniforms, you'll see very few in this series. The MLB could use more colorGrey will instead be reserved for the Tradition sets. 

I didn't see a reason for the established Terrapins team, playing since 1914, to change their nickname. I love the Terps nickname and really wanted to try to make the O's branding into a T's branding. 

8 minutes ago, mcrosby said:

I'm staunchly against grey away uniforms, you'll see very few in this series. The MLB could use more colorGrey will instead be reserved for the Tradition sets. 

I didn't see a reason for the established Terrapins team, playing since 1914, to change their nickname. I love the Terps nickname and really wanted to try to make the O's branding into a T's branding. 

You're absolutely right, I don't know what I was thinking, it slipped my mind that this was in fact an actual league, my bad. Also I'll agree to disagree on the grey uniforms, I'll just have to imagine myself what they would look like if they had them then. 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

Dude, I’m really liking this this far! The Terapins are an excellent adaptation of the Orioles’ design. I think you’ve replicated the taper on the home script, yes? If so, I’m so happy to see a guy finally do that!

The team arrangements are particularly fun. The Dodgers switch around is something I wasn’t expecting, but I’m glad to see you went there (renaming the Giants was also a fantastic move, reflecting the rivalry’s end and a new chapter for both clubs)! The Braves staying in Milwaukee, the LA Browns, and Atlanta Senators all sound like fun variations on our history.

I can’t wait to see the next steps!

The look is great, but I doubt they'd have adopted orange and black because that's not what terrapins look like. Real Baltimore orioles are actually black and orange, so it makes sense that the team is, but terrapins are green/brown/other dull colors. Likely the team might've taken after the college Terps and gone with red and yellow from the flag, maybe with a brown as a "skin tone" for the terrapin. Great start, although for realism I'd like to see proper away gray jerseys. I'm with you on liking colored away jerseys more than gray ones, but tradition like that doesn't just die out. Excited to see what's next.

the user formerly known as cdclt

The Terps are cool, and I think colored always are fine. I’d love to see an updated version of that turtle with a diamond on its back, idk how or what but it’s a cool design. Quick note: with the Dodgers still leaving, the Tip-Tops should definitely keep the Brooklyn moniker to capture that fanbase.

33 minutes ago, QCS said:

The look is great, but I doubt they'd have adopted orange and black because that's not what terrapins look like. Real Baltimore orioles are actually black and orange, so it makes sense that the team is, but terrapins are green/brown/other dull colors. Likely the team might've taken after the college Terps and gone with red and yellow from the flag, maybe with a brown as a "skin tone" for the terrapin. Great start, although for realism I'd like to see proper away gray jerseys. I'm with you on liking colored away jerseys more than gray ones, but tradition like that doesn't just die out. Excited to see what's next.

The actual Federal League Terrapins used orange and black. 

Very interesting premise for a series—and very ambitious. Both the cartoon terrapin and that “Terps” script are fantastic! Hope you follow through with the rest of the league. Can’t wait to see the San Diego Whales. The original Chicago Whales had my favorite Federal League logo.

P.S. Are you still working on your MLB series or is that project done?

10 hours ago, mcrosby said:

The actual Federal League Terrapins used orange and black. 

Huh, today I learned! Funnily enough, that probably comes from previous Baltimore Orioles franchises. Knowing that the set is pretty much perfect! The only thing I'd say is that the T in the Terrapins and Terps script is a little too much like a J because of the curl. Excited to see what comes next, I think the team that intrigues me the most is the Atlanta Senators.

3 hours ago, coco1997 said:

P.S. Are you still working on your MLB series or is that project done?

Consider this a replacement for that series. I'll hope to post some of the unchanged team redesigns here as well. 

2 hours ago, QCS said:

Huh, today I learned! Funnily enough, that probably comes from previous Baltimore Orioles franchises. Knowing that the set is pretty much perfect! The only thing I'd say is that the T in the Terrapins and Terps script is a little too much like a J because of the curl. Excited to see what comes next, I think the team that intrigues me the most is the Atlanta Senators.

I still haven't decided if I keep the Senators for the Atlanta club. The most historic name in Atlanta is Crackers, and I don't think I'll be using that. If anyone has suggestions for ATL let me know. 

NEW YORK TIP TOPS

Reality: The Brooklyn Tip-Tops played in 1914 and 1915, and folded with the league. The Mets wouldn't arrive in New York until 1963 as a replacement for the departed Dodgers and Giants. The Mets name is shorthand for the corporate name, New York Metropolitan Baseball Club, Inc. 

What if?: The Tip-Tops, named for Tip-Top Bread made by the owner Ward Baking Co, hangs on in New York as other clubs move West. A corporate brand never sits well with the MLB, but tradition prevails and the club goes forward as the NY Tops. Much like the T's, I've kept our reality's branding for the Tops, assuming they'd eventually get there. 

D4ywJhS.png

The Tops look great! It's clever name that fits in with some of the odder names of baseball's past.

22 minutes ago, mcrosby said:

I still haven't decided if I keep the Senators for the Atlanta club. The most historic name in Atlanta is Crackers, and I don't think I'll be using that. If anyone has suggestions for ATL let me know. 

Yeah, Crackers is kind of a no-go. Senators isn't awful since Atlanta is Georgia's capital, but I've got three other recommendations: you could go with the old Atlanta Firecrackers, or maybe Peaches or Magnolias for local flora. Excited to see what you do with it!

26 minutes ago, mcrosby said:

While "Crackers" is probably the most notable team name for minor league ball in Atlanta (to the point that the Negro League team was the "Black Crackers"), I'd suggest going in a bird direction. Since the Hawks, Falcons, and Thrashers all took upon bird-themed identities, I'd be curious to see where a bird name could go. I have a few ideas:

- Thrashers (the Brown Thrasher is Georgia's state bird, beat the NHL club to it)

- Firebirds/Phoenixes (rising from the ashes of Sherman's campaign, it's on the city flag)

- Owls (because their are species of owl native to Georgia and owls are really cool)

"Phoenixes" or "Phoenices" would be my choice, since "Firebirds" puts you in a trademark dispute with General Motors. "Peaches" and "Magnolias," as @QCS suggested, would be good as well.

Also, might I suggest "Dallas Dodgers" instead of "Texas Dodgers?" The alliteration really improves it and it'd be easier to translate the Brooklyn "B" to be a "D."

18 minutes ago, mcrosby said:

NEW YORK TIP TOPS

I really like how you've adapted the Mets' look here! The script style works well with the new name. Might I suggest using a tail-less script for the road, like one I made?

wcpbolP.png?1XNQBvJQ.png?1

It helps the consistency. Either doing that or adding a tail to the "Tops" script would help.

BUFFALO BLUES

Reality: The Buffeds, or Buffalo Blues played in 1913 as a minor league club and 1914 and 1915 in the FL, and folded with the league. Buffalo remains without a top tier club to this day. 

What if?: The Blues join the Reds as historically boring named teams playing to this day. The Buffalo script is a favorite of mine. I loved the nesting of the F's in the original script and did my best to modernize that while still making it feel like it could have been on a jersey 100 years ago. 
5RTIiFb.png

46 minutes ago, QCS said:

The Tops look great! It's clever name that fits in with some of the odder names of baseball's past.

Yeah, Crackers is kind of a no-go. Senators isn't awful since Atlanta is Georgia's capital, but I've got three other recommendations: you could go with the old Atlanta Firecrackers, or maybe Peaches or Magnolias for local flora. Excited to see what you do with it!

I think QCS might have the compromise with the Atlanta Firecrackers. They'd be commonly shortened to the 'Crackers, but wouldn't be outright named the Crackers.

Archived