Another WHAT IF? The Federal League survives! CIN added

mcrosby

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, mcrosby said:

Double blue and some sort of red are almost a lock. I'm just not sure about logos. the KC monogram is great, but what else to represent 'Packers'? 

Apparently the origin of the name had to do with farms in the region transporting wheat to city factories for packing.

So maybe something involving a wheat stalk?

I'm not sure how accurate this site is, but a quick note on the side of the page says that Kansas City was known for its meat-packing industry. The word mark found there is pretty neat too.

Additional research provided this site. Here is some select text that I think is relevant to the Packers name and perhaps can inspire some imagery:

"With the completion of the Hannibal Bridge in 1869, the first bridge to cross the Missouri River, an important link was formed between the East and West. As plans for a transcontinental railroad system were established, developers lobbied for a terminal in Kansas City, and the Union Depot was opened in April 1878. All these factors led to the birth of the Kansas City Stock Yards Co. in the West Bottoms of Kansas City, which grew to be the second largest livestock trader in the nation.

The integration of industry, commerce, and agriculture—arising from relationships among the Kansas City Stock Yards Co., the American Royal, meat packing plants, factories, railroad terminals, and livestock commission firms—allowed each entity to thrive from the success of the others. Railroad men provided shipment of animals and resources. Commission firms helped facilitate smooth transactions between the buyers and sellers. The Stock Yards Company provided a place for the livestock business to be conducted. Meat packing plants bought the animals and turned them into meat for consumption. Area factories used slaughterhouse waste to manufacture useful products. And the American Royal promoted the raising of premium livestock.

By 1914 the Kansas City Stock Yards covered over 200 acres, had a daily capacity of 170,000 animals, and employed over 20,000 people. It was receiving stock from 35 different states and shipping stock to 42 different states, Canada, and Mexico. When the Livestock Exchange Building, today an iconic West Bottoms fixture, was built in 1911, it was the largest such building in the world. The year 1919 saw the completion of numerous improvements and updates to the stockyards facilities, prompting a writer for the Kansas Citian to boast, “Kansas City now has the best and most equipped yard in the world.”

Kansas City is also still considered a major agricultural city, so I think a Packers identity shaped around an agricultural/cattle based logo could work nowadays. I've seen concepts  before that referred to Chicago's history with the meatpacking industry by incorporating butcher knives or the labels of packaged meat into the logos. Something like a bull or cow's head maybe? This is all said hoping that you're not a vegetarian though, because if you are, I apologize 😬

PS. No one has mentioned the subtle wave pinstripes on the San Diego home plate jersey yet, so I figured I'd just point out that it's a really nice touch. In line with other critiques about the Browns, I agree that they could use a bit more work. The look isn't terrible, but I think in comparison to your other concepts on this thread, they aren't as impressive. San Diego and Atlanta stand out as creative spins on the two cities' histories, Cleveland had a new main logo and script, Oakland had a twist on it that made it different from the actual Giants, and Buffalo was refreshed enough that it felt new and unique to me. While I understand the goal of maintaining the traditional look of the Browns, I think it felt underwhelming because there wasn't really a new "mcrosby" adaptation to it that the other previously mentioned teams had. Still, you're doing some great work and it's definitely appreciated here.

5 minutes ago, Megildur said:

Kansas City is also still considered a major agricultural city, so I think a Packers identity shaped around an agricultural/cattle based logo could work nowadays. I've seen concepts  before that referred to Chicago's history with the meatpacking industry by incorporating butcher knives or the labels of packaged meat into the logos. Something like a bull or cow's head maybe? This is all said hoping that you're not a vegetarian though, because if you are, I apologize 😬

I had assumed it was a meatpacking based name, as is the case with my Green Bay Packers. Now that I think about it, the Royals nearly used a bovine logo once upon a time, and are named for the American Royal Livestock Show. Maybe I'll meld the current Royals, unused Royals and Packers looks into one. Thoughts? 

fad9e7765f30b68c104316a1e9bddf4a.jpg

5 minutes ago, mcrosby said:

I had assumed it was a meatpacking based name, as is the case with my Green Bay Packers. Now that I think about it, the Royals nearly used a bovine logo once upon a time, and are named for the American Royal Livestock Show. Maybe I'll meld the current Royals, unused Royals and Packers looks into one. Thoughts? 

Great idea. I think you could also think about maybe using the crest-like aspect of the current Royals' primary logo too, but with the new interlocking KC from the Packers' days.

And for the Los Angeles Browns, I'd love to see what you could do with this great logo. Perhaps there's a clear way to Los Angeles-ify it? Just an idea in case you plan to revisit that club.

2 hours ago, mcrosby said:

I'm just not sure about logos. the KC monogram is great, but what else to represent 'Packers'? 

Something playing off of Kansas City's history as a "cowtown" and center of the meatpacking industry is definitely the way to go.

Livestock owners would have cowboys in their employ drive herds to the Kansas City Stockyards. At the facility's headquarters, the Kansas City Livestock Exchange, cattle would be auctioned. A significant portion of the cattle sold, along with hogs and sheep, would be purchased by local slaughterhouses, packing facilities, and markets. The Armour family - founders of Armour & Company, one of the nation's leading meatpacking firms - were responsible for opening Kansas City's first slaughterhouse. Its thanks to the stockyards, the slaughterhouses, and the meatpacking plants that Kansas City exploded in growth and wealth between the late 1800s and the early 1950s.      

29 minutes ago, Megildur said:

And for the Los Angeles Browns, I'd love to see what you could do with this great logo. Perhaps there's a clear way to Los Angeles-ify it? Just an idea in case you plan to revisit that club.

Swap the statue for the bear on the Cali flag. 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

Taking a bit of a break from clubs that have changed and going with a team that has only slightly changed nicknames in our reality and in the what-if reality. 

CINCINNATI REDS

Reality & What If: The Reds spent time as the Red Stockings and the Redlegs, but have been the Reds for just about their entire history. 

I reworked the 2015 All Star Game logo for a new Mr. Red logo and slightly updated the wishbone C. The home and away have matching scripts because I love a script more than a block font script. The Tradition uses the Redlegs monicker, has a 3/4 button up, a pocket, and sublimated pinstripes. The Wishbone C is a bit thinner for this look as well. The Home Plate REALLY leans into the Redlegs name and brings back the pinstripe vest and pillbox hat. I hate it and I love it. 

1pRIimn.png

On 6/15/2020 at 10:59 PM, mcrosby said:

Well, nobody wins

ATLANTA HAMMERS

Reality: The Braves made it to Atlanta after some 69 years in Boston and another 12 in Milwaukee. 

What if? The Boston club moves to Milwaukee in 1953 and finds continuing success and support after a 1957 World Series Championship. The Milwaukee club stumbles a bit when Hank Aaron takes his talents to A-Town when the Washington Senators move to town. Hank carries the Hammers and earns the nickname Hammerin' Hank Aaron. To this day Atlanta fans do the Hammer Swing. 

I had no idea how much I was going to like navy, peach, and grey as a color scheme. I re-worked the Atlanta script a while back, and really enjoyed making a Hammers script to match. Between Hammerin' Hank and the easy switch from tomahawk to rail spike hammer the nickname just felt perfect. Click to see full size. 

QcgyHBx.png

Really love this. I also made a concept for a team called the Atlanta Hammers a few years ago. I love the name. 

https://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/106343-my-fictional-baseball-league-the-pbca-san-diego-added/?do=findComment&comment=2552397

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived