Raptors Getting New Uniforms, Tweaking Logo in 2021

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, BBTV said:

It's the NBA in 2021 - the Sixers could come out with a lime-green alt and nobody would bat an eyelash.  They could have had a black alt without relying on black at all for their primary sets.

Which is why I am surprised that the Iverson black set (or a fauxback version of it) hasn't been reintroduced yet.

1 minute ago, Lights Out said:

I seem to recall the players lobbying the Sixers to bring back the Iverson uniforms a couple years ago, so it's weird that they haven't done it yet.

The Sixers org is too busy fighting the city to get a new arena all to themselves to bother with their players. 😜

I’m still failing to see what is making these “trash.” When you have examples of similar uniform designs like the Sonics arch uniforms and Portland’s sashes, and Washington’s Americans flag stripes. They are all similar elements and are loved so why are these different?

Sonics = Text fit a bit more naturally and was more easily readable in a rounded arch (though IMO that uniform was a little overrated, anyway).

Blazers = Text is not forced into the sash, the sash accompanies the text.

Bullets/Wizards = Text did not have to be distorted in any fashion to fit the stripe; the wordmark is still perfectly horizontal and optimal for readability.

Raptors = Text is forced to fit within a shape that is awkward for text, letter alignment forms jagged steps rather than a rounded arch that flows, and is thus more jarring to read than the other three examples.

That’s just my two cents, but that’s why (in my opinion) the Raptors’ treatment is far worse than other cited treatments.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

7 hours ago, JayMac said:

Which is why I am surprised that the Iverson black set (or a fauxback version of it) hasn't been reintroduced yet.

Next season will be the 20th anniversary of their last conference title, and they wore that set at the time.  Maybe that will give them a reason to bring those back as some type of throwback.

5 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

The Sixers org is too busy fighting the city to get a new arena all to themselves to bother with their players. 😜

That's not close to true.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

40 minutes ago, dont care said:

Well then they are too busy failing at the process.

I don't follow basketball too much. But I think that an extremely lucky shot that took 4 bounces in game 7 of the Eastern Conference finals last season and injuries have done in the process. 

tenor.gif?itemid=15258927

I don't follow basketball too much either, but I'm completely certain that there's a host of other self-inflicted errors that have done in the process.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• 3 weeks later...

PICS: Another Toronto Raptors New Uniform Leak

October 14, 2020 - 14:24 PM

Now that the 2019-20 NBA season is finally over, we can probably expect to see this made official any day now, but until then, the leaks just keep on pouring out. Today, the new Toronto Raptors red 2020-21 “Icon” jersey was spotted for sale on Foot Locker’s online shop. Of

Read More...

These Raptors uniforms make me feel like a huge hypocrite.

Here I am, regularly criticizing teams with overly designed, ultra-modern, trend-driven looks, practically begging them to simplify. Then the Raptors basically do just that and I can't stand them. And I don't know why.

I hate how the block letters stack diagonally inside the chevron. It looks ... i don't know the word. Maybe unnatural? It's one thing to see block letters cascade diagonally, like with the New York Rangers -- as a sash. But it looks awkward forced inside a chevron.

I recognize this is a trend in the NBA lately, likely started by the Raptors. The Hawks new unis are vastly simplified. The Wolves, as well, to a lesser extent. But this one just doesn't work for me. 

The chevron is a fine design element to build around, I just find the rest of the identity uninspired and dull, which was already the case but now slightly moreso. The shorts will be a big factor, I kinda like what they currently have with the T. I rarely like it when Nike goes with single color necks/sleeves, so for there to be no distinction to them at all makes them seem even more like knock-offs. 

Glad they aren't boosting the gold at least, but I'm among those wanting purple back.

Little nitpick: the white jerseys do not need that black outline around the text and numbers. White and red itself is already a good contrast. Both jerseys desperately need a collar color. Especially the whites. Good move for the logo though.

the idea is great to me, I'm all for a big ol chevron I think it's a unique idea. The execution is just poor though. Their one job was to make the chevron white on the red jerseys just like the jerseys they won the championship in. The whole reason they have these uniforms is to bring back the championship look yet don't bring back the championship jerseys...

IMG-7122.gif

Archived