SportsLogos.Net News

Raptors Getting New Uniforms, Tweaking Logo in 2021

Recommended Posts

Kinda look like Cheerleading uniforms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We The Chevrons: Toronto Raptors Unveil New Uniforms

October 15, 2020 - 11:08 AM

The Toronto Raptors made it official this morning and unveiled three of the five new uniforms they’ll be sporting when the 2020-21 NBA season finally tips off. As we had seen over the past several weeks, the new look features a chevron-heavy design, this based on the red and white

Read More...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The shorts are too much. They're taking away the attention from the main chevron on the jersey. Not good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The chevron seems to be higher on the shorts than the championship uniform. Preferred the lower previous version.

 

The big miss here was keeping black as the secondary color when red/white/ a hint of silver worked really well on the North uniform. It’s not like not having black would have prevented them from having BFBS uniforms in the NBA. And while the black uniform with the pinstripes is nice, the chevron wordmark doesn’t work AT ALL without a chevron behind it

 

They should have just used the Earned uniform, replaced North with Toronto, created a white version with Raptors on the front. Use black strictly on alternate uniform and go all in on the Canadian flag/Basketball Red Wings aesthetic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Overall, it looks better on the players than it did as a retail replica, the chevron is a cool feature for Toronto to embrace. It just feels a bit underwhelming, like it's just missing one little thing to help push it over the top. Maybe it's the basic red-black color balance, maybe it's the simplicity of the shorts design. I'm not sure.

 

toronto-raptors-new-uniforms-retro-throw

 

On the kind of interesting side of things, the black alternates seem to take the jagged pinstripes from the classic uniforms and turn them into a sort of side panel. That's sort of an uninspired use for that element IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's solid enough. Certainly could be better, but I think it's a slight upgrade and the jagged pinstripes on the black is a nice touch. Glad none of them say North but none of them say Toronto, which is stupid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Statement is the best one for me even chevron wordmark works quite well on that. Interesting to see that Earned uniforms comeback after one year hiatus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are they really gonna end up with 6 uniforms? What mystery Nike program has yet to be thrust upon us?

 

EDIT maybe those first three are just there as historical looks back, the mothership seems to suggest a black/gold "City" and purple "Earned" or vice-versa. https://news.sportslogos.net/2020/10/15/we-the-chevrons-toronto-raptors-unveil-new-uniforms/basketball/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Digby said:

Are they really gonna end up with 6 uniforms? What mystery Nike program has yet to be thrust upon us?

They haven't gotten to color-changing uniforms...yet. 😜 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish these were purple, but I like them.

 

However, why not have a TORONTO wordmark? Toronto happens to not only have an odd number of letters, it also has the exact number of letters as RAPTORS. It would fit perfectly on this jersey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Ark said:

However, why not have a TORONTO wordmark? Toronto happens to not only have an odd number of letters, it also has the exact number of letters as RAPTORS. It would fit perfectly on this jersey.

The Raptors are pushing the "Canada's Team" angle pretty hard. A good chunk of Canada (i.e. pretty much everywhere outside of Ontario) has a natural disdain for Toronto sports due to the Leafs; the Jays get country-wide support because they're the only MLB team in Canada right now.

 

De-emphasizing Toronto in their branding makes the Raptors' gear more appealing to people from pretty much anywhere in Canada than if said gear had a big ol' "TORONTO" on it. Also helps that they're not colored like a "Toronto team", which further distances the Raps from that stigma.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking ahead, I think they'll swap Raptors for Toronto on the black one in two years time. Built in change.

 

I LOVE the black one. Red I wish were more like the black.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

The Raptors are pushing the "Canada's Team" angle pretty hard. A good chunk of Canada (i.e. pretty much everywhere outside of Ontario) has a natural disdain for Toronto sports due to the Leafs; the Jays get country-wide support because they're the only MLB team in Canada right now.

 

De-emphasizing Toronto in their branding makes the Raptors' gear more appealing to people from pretty much anywhere in Canada than if said gear had a big ol' "TORONTO" on it. Also helps that they're not colored like a "Toronto team", which further distances the Raps from that stigma.

The Blue Jays at least have a jersey that says "Toronto", mind you, it's the grey, road jersey that probably doesn't sell all that well. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The video they put on Twitter has way too much purple in it for there not to be a purple version of this.

 

I dunno what's going on with that unlisted YouTube video, but that can't be the set. Maybe just what they will continue to sell until the future alternates are officially unveiled?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Jezus_Ghoti said:

The video they put on Twitter has way too much purple in it for there not to be a purple version of this.

 

I dunno what's going on with that unlisted YouTube video, but that can't be the set. Maybe just what they will continue to sell until the future alternates are officially unveiled?

 

It seems like one of the two remaining jerseys ... maybe the Earned Edition will be purple?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, kimball said:

 

It seems like one of the two remaining jerseys ... maybe the Earned Edition will be purple?

The story on the mothership shows two remaining jerseys yet to be unveiled. The photoshop tweaking makes it look like they'll be a black/gold (arched not chevron) and a purple (hopefully with red). It's anybody's guess as to which one would be Earned and which one would be City.

 

raptors-all-five-new-uniforms-2020-21-nba-toronto-chevron-sportslogosnet.jpg

 

toronto-raptors-new-purple-uniforms-new-gold-uniforms-city-edition-earned-2020-2021-sportslogosnet-nba-basketball.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess black/gold is a 'City' since all Raptors 'City' unis had Gold color and purple is 'Earned'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.