Raptors Getting New Uniforms, Tweaking Logo in 2021

Not a fan. Of the bunch I actually prefer the Icon the most, but it's not a great look for them. I expected they'd go a more Canadian route keepin the association and icon white and red. The black outline around Raptors on the association is not pretty. And no Toronto wordmark at all?? 

Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; en orðstír deyr aldregi hveim er sér góðan getr.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Emphasizing black was a mistake. A straight reproduction of the red and white unis they won the title in with "RAPTORS" in place of "NORTH" was all they had to do. This is significantly worse than that would have been.

It's still fine, but they overthought it.

The black one is the best of the bunch (until the purple is released.)

The shorts are terrible.

They've downgraded each time since the Vince Carter set (I'm someone who loves the half purple/half black jersey). The Bosh-era ones sans purple were fine, if not still good, the previous set was meh and these are just bad (like I said above the black is decent but the wordmark staying in the chevron shape ruins it)

9 hours ago, Ark said:

I wish these were purple, but I like them.

I'm quite content leaving purple in the past, and the occasional throwback game.

However, why not have a TORONTO wordmark? Toronto happens to not only have an odd number of letters, it also has the exact number of letters as RAPTORS. It would fit perfectly on this jersey.

The Raptors have, since 2003, emphasized RAPTORS over TORONTO on the uniforms to appeal to as much as Canada as possible.

18 hours ago, henburg said:

Overall, it looks better on the players than it did as a retail replica, the chevron is a cool feature for Toronto to embrace. It just feels a bit underwhelming, like it's just missing one little thing to help push it over the top. Maybe it's the basic red-black color balance, maybe it's the simplicity of the shorts design. I'm not sure.

toronto-raptors-new-uniforms-retro-throw

On the kind of interesting side of things, the black alternates seem to take the jagged pinstripes from the classic uniforms and turn them into a sort of side panel. That's sort of an uninspired use for that element IMO.

Jagged pinstripes seem to be sublimated into the black jersey in addition to the red ones on the side panel.

The Raptors are now officially the (pre/re-brown) Padres of the NBA--they can't figure out how they wanna look. It looks like they're continually chasing tends, and that never ends well. 

(What I wish would end well, now, is all those unnecessary uniform designations. There was nothing wrong with "home/road/alternate/"--miss me with all that extra #DoinTheMost.com stuff.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

The red jerseys have grown on me. But I feel like the black jerseys were a missed opportunity to make the pinstripes at least more noticeable like a lighter grey or even red. They're not even that noticeable up close step a feet away and they're invisible 

IMG-7122.gif

3 minutes ago, pelicanfan said:

But I feel like the black jerseys were a missed opportunity to make the pinstripes at least more noticeable like a lighter grey or even red. They're not even that noticeable up close step a feet away and they're invisible 

Yeah, at first I didn’t see pinstripes at all. It took me looking at an up-close picture for me to catch them, and even then it was faint.

Even still, that uniform is the best of an underwhelming bunch by far, and I wish the new set had been built around its look instead. Arch the word mark in a rounded fashion instead of a chevron shape, make the pinstripes more pronounced, then make a white and red version, and they would’ve had something really good. 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

On 10/16/2020 at 4:04 PM, Buc said:

The Raptors are now officially the (pre/re-brown) Padres of the NBA--they can't figure out how they wanna look. It looks like they're continually chasing tends, and that never ends well. 

(What I wish would end well, now, is all those unnecessary uniform designations. There was nothing wrong with "home/road/alternate/"--miss me with all that extra #DoinTheMost.com stuff.)

^ This.... Although unlike the Padres there is no clear answer for what they should go to full time. I don’t understand why they didn’t just stick with the set they won a championship in. At least there’s some sentimental value with those.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

4 hours ago, TenaciousG said:

^ This.... Although unlike the Padres there is no clear answer for what they should go to full time. I don’t understand why they didn’t just stick with the set they won a championship in. At least there’s some sentimental value with those.

The Vince Carter 1999-2003 set.

5 hours ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

The Vince Carter 1999-2003 set.

I kind of agree with that... except they won the title in red and black. But I’m not a Raptor fan, so I can’t speak for them.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

Archived