Raptors Getting New Uniforms, Tweaking Logo in 2021

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the Raptors have a ton of potential for a great uniform set, but I don't think they necessarily need to go full 90's, or full chevron look.

As for their colors, taking from their championship banner, red, black, and gold wouldn't be a bad color scheme if they did want to avoid bringing back purple.  They've embraced all of those colors, just put them all together.  

Toronto Raptors Flag 2019 NBA World Champions 3'x5' Flag Champs ...

90758391980.gif

Red, black, gold, and white borders on the Heat a little too much, even though the gold would be metalicy.

I like the plain black and gold - especially if the gold is "leafy" if that makes any sense.

Maybe there's a way to do black, purple, and gold and look good.  I don't think they'd be infringing on either the Kings or the Jazz.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Raptors' block font is atrocious. It's not as bad as what the Bucks use, but it still looks like a bad trace of Machine or something.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

19 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

If anything, the “brown Padres” argument fits the Rockets’ red/yellow set a lot more.

Maybe, but the Rockets have at least embraced red/yellow more with a bunch of throwbacks and retro-inspired alternates over the years, even though they've refused to switch back to that color scheme full-time. The Raptors have worn the 1995-1999 throwbacks only twice in their history (2014-15 and this season) and, IIRC, have never thrown back to the 1999-2006 look.

Another interesting aspect of the Raptors' hesitance to embrace purple is how it's a product of a pre-Drake era where Toronto didn't have quite as much international cultural cachet as it does now and the team itself was mediocre at best. When the Raptors first removed purple from their color scheme, they were trying to rebrand themselves as "Canada's team" to compensate for that. It was an understandable decision at the time, but times have changed. Nowadays, Toronto is cool enough that the Raptors probably shouldn't have to dress up like the Canadian national team to attract fans anymore. 

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

19 hours ago, the admiral said:

The Raptors' block font is atrocious. It's not as bad as what the Bucks use, but it still looks like a bad trace of Machine or something.

To me, it has kind of an industrial/rubber-stamped vibe. The font would work for a Rust Belt market (like if Pittsburgh ever got an NBA team), but it doesn't suit the Raptors at all.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

On 6/16/2020 at 8:22 AM, uniguy22 said:

If they are going the chevron route, I wouldn't mind incorporating purple back into the scheme sort of like this quick mock-up I did in Paint. Makes them a little more unique than all the other red and black teams. Drop the silver from their colour scheme and replace it with purple. 

spacer.png

Black and gold on the back, beginning where the chevron ends, and a purple alternate and I'm on board with this.

Here are my two cents...

- I have always felt the Raptors have had good uniform looks. I have always thought he Vince era uniforms were still better than the current Drake style uniforms. Even the Red-themed Vince recolored uniforms I still feel were better than the current uniforms. 

- I kind of like the move to the chevron look. It's unique. Out of all the Raptors "City/Earned Chevron" uniforms, the "Red Earned" uniform was my favorite.

- If you put "Raptors" "Toronto" and "North" on each respected uniform, and align the middle letter, you'll get "T.O.R".  Just a fun thought.

- I feel the Drake "OVO" theme is still strange, but a part of it I feel still works. I'm not sure why.

Anyways, that's my two-cents.

23 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

If anything, the “brown Padres” argument fits the Rockets’ red/yellow set a lot more.

4 hours ago, Lights Out said:

Maybe, but the Rockets have at least embraced red/yellow more with a bunch of throwbacks and retro-inspired alternates over the years, even though they've refused to switch back to that color scheme full-time

Looks like the Hawks won't fumble the same opportunity the Rockets had. That's great, because the Hawks just look right in red/yellow/black. The Rockets could've done the same and been the only team in the league with that color combo(Red/Yellow).

Was watching wrestling, and saw the tag team " street profits" in ring gear that looks inspired by the Vince Carter era Raptors. They have some chevron thing going on with the shorts and jacket. This sort of gives you an idea of what a mix between new and old would look like. ESNdu44W4AMCb25.jpg

10 hours ago, Wentz2Jeffery said:

I swear this team changes their uniforms every season, although I guess this would make sense since the current set is mostly connected to Kawhi...

Yeah, at this point the Raptors are the NBA's San Diego Padres or Jacksonville Jaguars-- they just can't seem to figure it out. 

11 hours ago, L10nheart404 said:

Was watching wrestling, and saw the tag team " street profits" in ring gear that looks inspired by the Vince Carter era Raptors. They have some chevron thing going on with the shorts and jacket. This sort of gives you an idea of what a mix between new and old would look like. ESNdu44W4AMCb25.jpg

THIS I can get behind. Mix in a little bit of gold for effect but that right there, to me, is 🔥. (And I'm 38.)

I've also long felt purple and red is a criminally underused colorway...Orlando City should have included the red when they jumped to MLS but they didn't. The only other team I know of that used this colorway was the Florida Fireman's of the old AF2.  (Google the uniforms at your own risk.)

image.ashx?domain=www.naplesnews.com&fil

Whatever the Raptors do, LEAVE DRAKE OUT OF IT. 

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

On 6/17/2020 at 11:59 AM, Lights Out said:

Nowadays, Toronto is cool enough that the Raptors probably shouldn't have to dress up like the Canadian national team to attract fans anymore. 

Toronto's always been cool. Sorry if you didn't notice before. 

2 hours ago, IceCap said:

Toronto's always been cool. Sorry if you didn't notice before. 

Well, in the States, Toronto didn't have much cultural appeal/significance until the 2010's. Not saying it isn't cool or anything, but It's inaccurate to say it's always been cool and relevant in the U.S.

1 minute ago, L10nheart404 said:

Well, in the States, Toronto didn't have much cultural appeal/significance until the 2010's. Not saying it isn't cool or anything, but It's inaccurate to say it's always been cool and relevant in the U.S.

I fail to see how that's our problem 😛

Archived