Raptors Getting New Uniforms, Tweaking Logo in 2021

1 hour ago, pelicanfan said:

I prefer those earned jerseys more tbh which so far doesnt look like a popular opinion here. But man a straight red and white jersey just has a so much better contrast. I honestly think the raptors would look so much better if they just used less black. Especially being Canada's team their flag is just red and white. I mean isn't their logo like 90% black and grey?

You obviously didn't know that black is Canada's unofficial third colour.  Every Canadian national team must have black in the colour scheme.  

That being said, I rather they either carried over the same whatever edition jersey it was (red & white) or come up with a completely new design.  I don't hate it, but it's just another repaint of an existing jersey.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, M4One said:

You obviously didn't know that black is Canada's unofficial third colour.  Every Canadian national team must have black in the colour scheme.  

That being said, I rather they either carried over the same whatever edition jersey it was (red & white) or come up with a completely new design.  I don't hate it, but it's just another repaint of an existing jersey.

Well in that case I still don't get why they want to use black so much. I feel like at least limiting the amount of black could give them an edge over the bulls, blazers, and rockets. And in my opinion makes all the difference. Or are they required to use it in large amounts too? I'm obviously unfamiliar with this topic 

IMG-7122.gif

2 hours ago, KittSmith_95 said:

If this isn't a fashion or practice jersey.... :puke:

Woof. The chevron is fine as a secondary design element on side panels like it’s been for most of Toronto’s history, but it looks atrocious front and center. Second straight iteration that the Raptors have downgraded, IMO.

Black as the second colo(u)r doesn’t work for me, either. Can we also mention another instance of minimal/no trim on the collar and sleeve holes? Nike’s go-to subtle design choice. Looks even cheaper here than usual, and that’s saying something.

I’ll give them one point in that at least the wordmark and outline finally have matching outline schemes for I think the first time of this Raps era.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

I actually wanted Toronto to iterate on the chevrons and their Earned jerseys, but this is a no-go from me. Should be straight red and white, no black, and for the love of good put something on the sides and the collar. The number looks weird being outlined in white while the other black element, the chevron, isn't. It's fine, but could be better, that's for sure.

the user formerly known as cdclt

2 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Oh boy. 

I’ve already stated a couple of times how bad the text looks when forced into a chevron shape, so I’ll spare it. But on top of that, the coloring is giving me way too much of a Bulls vibe (far more than “Team Canada”). Yes, I know the Bulls don’t have a big black chevron on the front, but a text/number color distribution of black heavy/white outlines atop a red jersey is very much a Bulls “thing”. It was the same problem the Heat had with thier red alternates in the 90’s: not the same template or uniform structure as the Bulls, but the color distribution still pointed too heavily to them anyways. 

With the Bulls being one of the most famed franchises in sports, teams shouldn’t roll out anything that distributes red/black/white like they do, or those comparisons will be inevitable. If this jersey is indicative of the real thing, Toronto blew it bad.

Yeah, well when teams have the same colors there is always that danger. This in red and purple wouldn't be confused with any other team.

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

37 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Yeah, well when teams have the same colors there is always that danger. This in red and purple wouldn't be confused with any other team.

Let me preface this by saying I do 100% agree with you that purple/red would have spared them this problem (and is probably my ideal color scheme for them, too). 

That said, there’s still ways to separate yourself from another team’s similar color scheme if you’re deliberate about it. If this jersey had white text upon a black chevron and white numbers, then it wouldn’t have any kind of Bulls vibe in terms of the way that color scheme is distributed. In fact, that would’ve really looked like “Team Canada” instead, if that’s what they were trying to achieve. That’s just one example, but there’s certainly other ways they could have done this and looked less like treading into Bulls territory (seeing as they’re insisting on red/black/white). It’s also worth noting that the Blazers and Heat don’t look like the Bulls, Raptors, or each other either. If you’re deliberate in your design, you can make it work.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

3 hours ago, pelicanfan said:

Well in that case I still don't get why they want to use black so much. I feel like at least limiting the amount of black could give them an edge over the bulls, blazers, and rockets. And in my opinion makes all the difference. Or are they required to use it in large amounts too? I'm obviously unfamiliar with this topic 

The designs are different enough that I think it would be hard to confuse the teams, though. 

11 hours ago, KittSmith_95 said:

I don't know what went into the design process, but just how hard was it to make the letters white, without any outlines? Would've looked so much better and it is so obvious. Now, with red letters outlined in white... not looking very good.

Other than that, I liked the original alternate look that this jersey is based on and already then thought they should use it as their main template, and I actually like it more with black instead of white. I only hope that they don't replicate the shorts template with another big chevron, but use it more subtly, since one big chevron on the chest is enough.

Archived