NCAA Breakthrough Series - (5/130 - UAB)

SSmith48

ufvSkG1.png

It's been awhile since I've posted anything on here. A lot of stuff has been going on, such as getting ready for college, managing an online school schedule, and spending time with family. I've also been working on a few personal projects I hope to get around to posting on here. This one is an ongoing series I had on the backburner for a bit.

One-off alternates are big in Division 1 football now. This Breakthrough series is my take on a one-off for each team, focusing on elements meaningful to each team, school, city, region, or state. I wanted to let the reigns off a bit, allowing for more unique design elements a team wouldn't otherwise choose. 

First up is UCLA

.PgtaN2Z.png

I originally had ideas around Jackie Robinson, the Rose Bowl, and the Golden Age of Cinema lined up for the Bruins, but ultimately chose a design emblematic of UCLA's rich sporting culture. Vegas gold (which is used mainly by the football team) is replaced by golden yellow. The trademark UCLA is reconfigured to the sleeves and recolored to match elements of UCLA's other sports teams, including the legendary basketball program. The UCLA arched text is also pulled from the basketball team. The helmet takes inspiration from elements of the Bruins' baseball team, complete with the B logo from their caps on the helmets, and a metallic powder blue finish

bNGlZxG.png

Thank you for tuning in!

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

This looks like an interesting series! I like your start here with UCLA, especially the B on the helmet. It's personally odd to see UCLA without the traditional UCLA shoulder stripes, but I don't hate the usage here.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

For this next team, we are headed to the plains. It's time for the Tulsa Golden Hurricane!

8HmYcDq.png

The University of Tulsa is home to the Gilcrease Museum, boasting one of the largest collections of Native American art and artifacts. Using this location as a basis for the uniform, Tulsa's set is meant to tribute the Native American heritage of Oklahoma. The main feature is a pattern based off of Cherokee art and weaving. This is fitting because the Cherokee nation is actually based about an hour and 15 minute drive from Tulsa, in Tahlequah. The look is meant to be simple and clean, focusing on the custom pattern.

LT5RzOz.png

As always, thank you for tuning in!

spacer.png

2 minutes ago, sportsfan7 said:

I'm not sold on the Nautical Hurricane Flags behind the wordmark. Tulsa isn't anywhere near an ocean and the nickname was originally supposed to be the Golden Tornadoes.

In their real life branding? Because they've fully embraced that imagery:

spacer.png

7 minutes ago, OHK said:

In their real life branding? Because they've fully embraced that imagery:

spacer.png

Huh, I never woulda guessed. I'm not from Oklahoma and don't root for any teams in the American, so I've never had any reason to watch a Tulsa Football (or basketball, or anything else really) game.

12 hours ago, sportsfan7 said:

I'm not sold on the Nautical Hurricane Flags behind the wordmark. Tulsa isn't anywhere near an ocean and the nickname was originally supposed to be the Golden Tornadoes.

Yeah that’s literally their logo.

Excellent!

I'm back with another Group of 5 team! This time we are looking at Western Michigan!

rQdSd0o.png

WMU, like most Group of 5 schools, provided a challenge to find a fun theme for this uniform. However, they do have a unique claim to fame: it once operated the only railroad privately owned by a U.S. college. The Western State Normal Railroad trolleyed students up the campus hill as an alternative to a 150 step climb. The railroad closed in 1949, but a replica car now lies on the former site today. This uniform is inspired by this unique piece of history. The white and brown heavy color scheme mimics the colors of the railroad's cars, and the font and logo choices are meant to evoke a elegant, yet classic feel. The striping of the uniform is taken from railroad tracks, and the finishing touch is a wood grain pattern on the lettering and numbering.

556ABSW.png

This one was certainly an interesting challenge, but I would love to know what you guys think!

spacer.png

I would make the rail a different color from the wood, as after seeing the striping on the shoulders, I'm reminded of a fence more than a railroad. However, that is not to say that it isn't a great idea or that it looks bad, just that I think having the difference make it easier to recognize the allusion.

5 hours ago, Punchy_Gungus said:

The brown and gold W makes me immediately think of Wyoming. I would suggest using the bronco logo or the combination mark. Aside from that, all of these have been amazing.

You bring up a good point. In the attempt to create a more retro look, the W can become confusing. So, I switched out the W for the Bronco logo:

AW0JhcQ.png Next up we have UCONN!

pFoGnpi.png

The Huskies have not had a great football history. Well, that's at least compared to their powerhouse sport: Basketball. Specifically, Women's basketball with a staggering 11 national championships since 1995. This uniform incorporates elements from the uniform of the initial championship run in 1995, complete with retro script, collar/cuff striping, and navy/red color scheme. I even incorporated the asymmetrical shorts from the uniform, adding a unique element. 

wzQi7PO.png

I always appreciate the comments! Until next time!

spacer.png

Continuing with the theme of group of 5 schools (or former in UCONN's case), we are heading to UAB! 

FI9kVPO.png

Birmingham has had a lasting legacy in the iron and steel manufacturing industry, even becoming the largest producer of iron/steel in the decades after the Civil War. The industry even has it's own tribute in a statue of Vulcan in the city. This uniform pays homage to this unique distinction. The color scheme of gray, orange, and black draws inspiration from the forging process, specifically drawing from iron/iron ore, soot/smoke, and fire. The Dragon logo's flame is taken as it's own unique element, another tribute to the forging process, specifically the fire that heats the metal. The helmet features a finish of gunmetal gray, mimicking the finish of iron and steel.The tapered stripe found on the helmet and pants is drawn from the Vulcan statue, specifically the arrow he is holding.  

Qn61a1x.png

As always, thank you for tuning in!

spacer.png

Archived