Tampa Bay Buccaneers Unveil New Uniforms

tBBP

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/19/2019 at 8:48 PM, -Akronite- said:

I'm a Bucs apologist as well, but I love the giant helmet logo. It's one of the best parts if the identity IMO, so many helmet logos are too small which is exacerbated by helmet straps obstructing parts of many logos. Don't understand the hate for the big logo (the chrome and numbers are dumb IMO though).

Cuz they are just chasing a collegiate fad. Fads can stay at the college and lower levels.

It's where I sit.

21 hours ago, dont care said:

I don’t know, I just know there was a significant weight difference. And when I looked at the knit pattern the dazzle twill looked like a double knit pattern, vs the matte that had more of a regular knit that wasn’t as thick kinda matched the same pattern as a regular polo. I don’t know if dazzle could be knit in the same way and this was 10 years ago. I assume it was knit the way it was to show off the dazzle better but that’s just a guess.  I don’t know what advancements they have made in the 10 years since I wore those dazzle uniforms to make them significantly lighter like the did the speed machine ones we wore the next year but if they did I’d be all for it.

But 10 years ago, the dazzle uniforms were already old, compared to the brand new speed machine uniforms that your school bought to replace them, correct? So the dazzle uniforms have likely had nearly 15 years to make an advancement..

Also, Nike's use of giant mesh panels, minimal pockets for padding (which they've pushed to newer, more intricate -and presumable heavier goodies), and dropping formerly standard features like flys and belt loops might go a long way in why they felt so different back then.. none of that requires matte fabric though

6 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

But 10 years ago, the dazzle uniforms were already old, compared to the brand new speed machine uniforms that your school bought to replace them, correct? So the dazzle uniforms have likely had nearly 15 years to make an advancement..

Also, Nike's use of giant mesh panels, minimal pockets for padding (which they've pushed to newer, more intricate -and presumable heavier goodies), and dropping formerly standard features like flys and belt loops might go a long way in why they felt so different back then.. none of that requires matte fabric though

True but I’m talking about the fabrics itself was knit thicker like in a double knit style. The matte material was thinner. I don’t know if they can make dazzle twill that isn’t thicker, if they can I’d be all for it. It also wasn’t as stretchy.

1 hour ago, dont care said:

True but I’m talking about the fabrics itself was knit thicker like in a double knit style. The matte material was thinner. I don’t know if they can make dazzle twill that isn’t thicker, if they can I’d be all for it. It also wasn’t as stretchy.

I can assure you that our brand new shiny pants are among the stretchiest I've ever felt/witnessed.. and greatly preferred by our players over our previous PrimeKnit pants

9 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

I can assure you that our brand new shiny pants are among the stretchiest I've ever felt/witnessed.. and greatly preferred by our players over our previous PrimeKnit pants

Ok like I said it was 10 years ago. Also as I asked in my original post when I asked if there was a difference in the weight and materials but never got an answer. That is because I really don’t know the advancements in the last 10 years for dazzle twill and if it had improved to be as good as the regular materials

7 minutes ago, dont care said:

Ok like I said it was 10 years ago. Also as I asked in my original post when I asked if there was a difference in the weight and materials but never got an answer. That is because I really don’t know the advancements in the last 10 years for dazzle twill and if it had improved to be as good as the regular materials

If I had a pair of the newest pants from each of the three main apparel providers and an accurate enough scale, I'd get you an exact answer.. however, I unfortunately do not.. so all I have to go on is the material makeup each company uses..

On 9/21/2019 at 10:11 PM, Sec19Row53 said:

Cuz they are just chasing a collegiate fad. Fads can stay at the college and lower levels.

Outside of the notion that it's a collegiate fad, is there anything wrong with it aesthetically? It's fine to have a traditional sense of style, especially for the NFL, but I feel like it looks good and doesn't ride the fad too hard. A lot of over-sized college logos are also re-colored and used shiny stickers on matte helmet to be extra slick. This is just a big logo and it looks great IMO.

16 minutes ago, -Akronite- said:

Outside of the notion that it's a collegiate fad, is there anything wrong with it aesthetically? It's fine to have a traditional sense of style, especially for the NFL, but I feel like it looks good and doesn't ride the fad too hard. A lot of over-sized college logos are also re-colored and used shiny stickers on matte helmet to be extra slick. This is just a big logo and it looks great IMO.

Aesthetically it looks like it belongs in college (or lower level, such as high school, minor league, or PeeWee). Added to the chrome mask that also is a fad, the helmet as a whole doesn't appeal to me.

I appreciate the question - it is of course my opinion, and I can't criticize you for yours.

It's where I sit.

I also think it looks bad, but mainly because it overpowers the helmet color and from many angles, you can see both logos, which gives an odd Rams-esque feel, like the tips of the sword are horn-like or something.. also, the brighter red is a touch too much on the pewter imo, but that might be rolled into my first point a bit..

On 9/23/2019 at 12:16 PM, -Akronite- said:

Aesthetically, yes. It's so big it gets obscured by helmet fixtures and holes facemask straps and all that other stuff. The flag and other details get lost so it just reads like a big red rectangle with a robotic skull on it. The helmet color, which is the actual star of the show, is more covered and less visible. 

Thankfully there's a simple solution

Image result for buccaneers helmet

PvO6ZWJ.png

18 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Aesthetically, yes. It's so big it gets obscured by helmet fixtures and holes facemask straps and all that other stuff. The flag and other details get lost so it just reads like a big red rectangle with a robotic skull on it. The helmet color, which is the actual star of the show, is more covered and less visible. 

I appreciate the point your making, however, this is a pretty idealist vision given that modern helmets tend to have vents and straps interfering with decals of all sizes.

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

Too many elements in play here: Flag, Skull, Swords, Football... If they want to be "unique" why not make the overall helmet the red flag texture (Similar to Maryland's flag helmet) and then put the skull, swords, football on the side?  

ff_2552820_full.jpg&w=325

On 9/23/2019 at 12:16 PM, -Akronite- said:

i dont believe the Bucs design was driven purely by aesthetic fads as though the thought was "this is in now, guess ill use it", but pulled appropriately from new techniques added for Nike Designers to play with. once you realize you can do an oversized logo or a finish on a facemask that looks more metallic, the key is to use those things in proper places. the Bucs helmet is the proper place.

start with the colors and finish of the helmet and mask. it does have this appearance of something you'd find on a ship. a piece of silver/metal stuck into a cannon ball, or something. and what do you do with a logo that is a blood red pirate flag pierced by a sword, charging into battle? of course you blow it up and make it as loud as possible! it's like the logo is screaming, and that perfectly suits it.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

51 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

Too many elements in play here: Flag, Skull, Swords, Football... If they want to be "unique" why not make the overall helmet the red flag texture (Similar to Maryland's flag helmet) and then put the skull, swords, football on the side?  

ff_2552820_full.jpg&w=325

I can only speak for myself but perhaps they didn't go that route because it's ugly as :censored:? 😁

On 9/24/2019 at 2:55 PM, -Akronite- said:

I appreciate the point your making, however, this is a pretty idealist vision given that modern helmets tend to have vents and straps interfering with decals of all sizes.

Then making the decal bigger and more prone to vent/strap interference is the wrong direction to move.. 

Also worth mentioning that the vents really don't affect side logo decals much at all.. certainly far less than people here like to suggest.. and the straps often have alternative buckle location options, or at least alternative methods that can give you more wiggle room with the decal..

58 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

Then making the decal bigger and more prone to vent/strap interference is the wrong direction to move.. 

Also worth mentioning that the vents really don't affect side logo decals much at all.. certainly far less than people here like to suggest.. and the straps often have alternative buckle location options, or at least alternative methods that can give you more wiggle room with the decal..

I would agree if that was my stance, but to be clear it isn't. My point is that logos, big AND small, get obstructed partially by vents and straps. I'm not bothered by it enough to dislike the big Bucs logo, which IMO looks great.

36 minutes ago, -Akronite- said:

I would agree if that was my stance, but to be clear it isn't. My point is that logos, big AND small, get obstructed partially by vents and straps. I'm not bothered by it enough to dislike the big Bucs logo, which IMO looks great.

And my stance is that logos, big AND small, aren't really obstructed at all by vents, and aren't obstructed by straps any more than they've always been..

My opinion regarding the Bucs helmet logo has nothing to do with the vents or straps, but if vents and straps are an issue, a bigger logo certainly isn't the solution

Tampa Bay has put too much emphasis on "pirate" and not "Buccaneer".  Buccaneer carries a different image, and has more flair, more class, and more style. Bruce was the perfect mascot for that. I went way too far down the Buccaneer rabbit hole, but most were on government contracts, so not exactly outlaws. Yeah he needs to be updated, maybe he becomes a skull himself, but this team needs the bright orange, red, something flashy, not just drab cannonball pewter. 

Archived