Tampa Bay Buccaneers Unveil New Uniforms

tBBP

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

That's because, within the context of the logo, the "actual sword" is meant to be... well, an actual sword. By contrast, the swords on the flag are meant to be depictions of bladed weapons, crudely drawn by 17th and 18th century seafaring brigands. As such, the depiction of the swords on the flag isn't meant to perfectly mirror the depiction of the "actual" sword that serves as the impromptu flagstaff.

This is the very reason that I prefer the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' 1997-2013 primary logo. In my opinion, the skull, swords and football depicted on the flag in the primary logo that the Buccaneers introduced in 2014 are far too perfectly polished. So much so that they strike me as being stylistically anachronistic. To my mind, the flag in the Buccaneers' logo of the past six seasons has been devoid of any real stylistic sense of the era in which the team's namesake seafarers plied their trade.

Frankly, I could have lived with the the new version of the sword that serves as the flagstaff and the new flag from the 2014 Buccaneers' logo, so long as the skull, swords and football on said flag had been rendered in a style similar to that of of the 1997-2013 mark.                

That's actually pretty cool.  Definitely in the "I can't unsee that" category. 

Also in there is that both flag swords and the staff sword was the exact same image just scaled and positioned differently. It's for sure some pedantic guy or gal (like myself) would've been super excited about at the time that is much less cool on re-examination. 

1 hour ago, daniel75 said:

Does it bother anyone that the feathers in the nbc logo are too clean? Just 1 of a thousand examples and probably a bad one, but you get my meaning. It’s not supposed to be an illustration, it’s a logo.

No, because the NBC logo has always been clean. The Bucs' original flag suited their brand a lot more then this sterilized version has ever done, since it was rougher and more pirate-esque and, well, looked a lot like an actual Jolly Roger.

1 hour ago, daniel75 said:

Does it bother anyone that the feathers in the nbc logo are too clean? Just 1 of a thousand examples and probably a bad one, but you get my meaning. It’s not supposed to be an illustration, it’s a logo.

its different approaches to Design. NBC's logo is very abstract; an ultimate exercise in minimalism. the Bucs logos are illustrative and trying to depict something much closer to real life. its not that the current Bucs logo is "too clean" or "too minimal" but that it does a very poor job of expressing something not only in a believable way, but with any sense of skill or craftsmanship. its the same logo as before, drawn much worse.

39 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

That's because, within the context of the logo, the "actual sword" is meant to be... well, an actual sword. By contrast, the swords on the flag are meant to be depictions of bladed weapons, crudely drawn by 17th and 18th century seafaring brigands. As such, the depiction of the swords on the flag isn't meant to perfectly mirror the depiction of the "actual" sword that serves as the impromptu flagstaff.

This is the very reason that I prefer the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' 1997-2013 primary logo. In my opinion, the skull, swords and football depicted on the flag in the primary logo that the Buccaneers introduced in 2014 are far too perfectly polished. So much so that they strike me as being stylistically anachronistic. To my mind, the flag in the Buccaneers' logo of the past six seasons has been devoid of any real stylistic sense of the era in which the team's namesake seafarers plied their trade.

Frankly, I could have lived with the the new version of the sword that serves as the flagstaff and the new flag from the 2014 Buccaneers' logo, so long as the skull, swords and football on said flag had been rendered in a style similar to that of of the 1997-2013 mark.                

spot on. though the previous version of the logo is simpler in its line work and detail, there is so much more substance.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

25 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

its different approaches to Design. NBC's logo is very abstract; an ultimate exercise in minimalism. the Bucs logos are illustrative and trying to depict something much closer to real life. its not that the current Bucs logo is "too clean" or "too minimal" but that it does a very poor job of expressing something not only in a believable way, but with any sense of skill or craftsmanship. its the same logo as before, drawn much worse.

spot on. though the previous version of the logo is simpler in its line work and detail, there is so much more substance.

I don’t think they are at all. That’s actually the gripe some people are making, that it doesn’t look like a tattered real flag. Its quite obvious it’s a Jolly Roger flag.

1 minute ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Well, the old one was a Jolly Roger flag.  The new one looks like a van painting or heavy metal band logo, awkwardly superimposed over a flag.

The old one looked like clip art you’d find on a menu of a pirate themed restaurant.

20 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I'd love to head to a good pirate themed restaurant right now.

It's interesting to see the easy old "clip art" blast making a board comeback.

I would love to go anywhere right now.

24 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I'd love to head to a good pirate themed restaurant right now.

4 minutes ago, daniel75 said:

I would love to go anywhere right now.

I'm trying to think of menu items for a cheesy pirate themed restaurant.  I've got "Shiver-me-timbers Shake" and maybe a "Hamb-aarrrrrg-er"?

17 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I'm trying to think of menu items for a cheesy pirate themed restaurant.  I've got "Shiver-me-timbers Shake" and maybe a "Hamb-aarrrrrg-er"?

So long as they have some creamsicle flavoured deserts.

27 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

- Kraken Kalimari

- Mermaid-Hair Pasta

- Polly-Wanna-Cracker-Crusted Fried "Chicken"

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Jojopeligreeno said:

I’d live with second one ,is that the pewter color they use now? That looks closer to the old pewter

It is supposed to be. I used the RGB value they currently have for pewter to color over the original edit. 

I also pulled a shade of pewter from another image of their uniforms and ended up with this, which actually looks more accurate.

CgbCBND.png

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

Archived