Tampa Bay Buccaneers Unveil New Uniforms

tBBP

7 hours ago, IceCap said:

Like I said, the Colour Rush program was formally abolished in 2018. There was nothing stopping them from wearing the Colour rush jerseys and pants with gold or black socks.

The Color Rush legacy will be that it negatively influenced how the league views socks as part of uniform design and how they police teams' sock usage. All the old rules got thrown out and teams look worse for it. It sucks. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, TornadoGTS said:

spacer.png

I'm happy with the home and away looks, but they dropped the ball with the color rush set.  Seeing this pic makes me think the Bucs should have appeased those longing for the return to the creamsicles.  If the third set had been orange, there would be little room for criticism.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

Now that I've had some time to think about the new Bucs set:

Good:

-Simple is sometimes better. And that holds true in this case.

-Good color balance for the most part. Home/Road jerseys could benefit from some more Pewter.

-Kept most of the good elements from the Super Bowl set.

-I'm actually a fan of the Pewter color rush. Yeah, the two separate Pewter pants is weird, but it looks somewhat classy. Will have to see what they look like when they hit the field though. And there should have been a red or pewter facemask for this set because of the lack of black.

Meh/Bad:

-The collar/cuff trim is too thin for my taste. Making the full collar/cuffs black/red would improve this set.

-The number font could have been updated to be a bit more modern. Not to the extent of the alarm clack numbers, but enough to help the set feel a touch more in line with the rest of the Bucs branding.

-The new recolored ship logo is wayyyy too dark. Keeping some red or including more Pewter would help with that.

Other than that I really don't have any complaints. 

It's a good change, one that they needed, and it's emblematic of a trend that the NFL is moving towards: receiving a modern rebrand and then reverting to something more simple if fans despise it. This however, is something that the Bucs will look good in.

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

21 hours ago, rjrrzube said:

You forget when the Jets went back to the Namath set. All the way back.

That was still more different than this if not the same I believe. They completely changed from Kelly to Hunter Green, added a chest logo which was technically a new logo and after a few years ended up adding green pants. 

I just realized something: now that the Buccaneers look of my sophomore-senior years of high school and young adulthood are back, maybe I might consider reordering a BROOKS 55 one that actually fits me a little better than the oversized one I've had for almost 20 years (since everything else in that era of hip-hop was oversized as well...)

I just don't know that I feel like paying Nike prices for it, though...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I was never the biggest fan of simply rolling it back to the old look... yeah, I was wrong. These instantly jump into the top tier of NFL uniforms, and are easily the best Nike redesign (if we can count it that). 

ExJworW.png

2 hours ago, Sport said:

The Color Rush legacy will be that it negatively influenced how the league views socks as part of uniform design and how they police teams' sock usage. All the old rules got thrown out and teams look worse for it. It sucks. 

Man, this is so spot on it's depressing.

1 hour ago, Buc said:

I just realized something: now that the Buccaneers look of my sophomore-senior years of high school and young adulthood are back, maybe I might consider reordering a BROOKS 55 one that actually fits me a little better than the oversized one I've had for almost 20 years (since everything else in that era of hip-hop was oversized as well...)

Give it some time - a month or two - and hit up eBay. 

With all this talk of how Tampa Bay didn't get influenced by Nike, I'm really confused.

So, Nike can just dictate what a team's uniforms look like without any oversight? They could have just said to the Bucs, "here's what your new uniforms will look like." The way it gets described here makes it sound like teams somehow have very little say except in rare cases. I must be misunderstanding.

7 hours ago, BucsBoy02 said:

I absolutely love this update. The pewter set is kinda meh, but I can live with it for a couple games a season. The logos could still use some re-working but they are fine. I honestly didn't expect them to go back to this look but am pleasantly surprised. I think the only thing I would have liked to have seen was a slightly modified block font, nothing to fancy though. I always thought a block font with scalloped corners would look amazing. 

Q5s5nlx.png 

The Pittsburgh Pirates think so...

spacer.png

I think Nike honestly should stick to making shoes. They are not great at creating identities for teams that should be left to the teams and NFL properties. Color rush is a horrible part of team identities. To me it’s unacceptable to have a uniform manufacturer deny a team a look they want. Bucs said they wanted a return to shiny Pewter pants and Nike could said they could not make them. In my opinion the pewter pants and color when it was first unveiled in 97 is what was so cool about the Bucs rebrand it was completely unique. The matte fabric color now is not so might as well loose it. 

16 hours ago, TornadoGTS said:

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Mitch B said:

I'm happy with the home and away looks, but they dropped the ball with the color rush set.  Seeing this pic makes me think the Bucs should have appeased those longing for the return to the creamsicles.  If the third set had been orange, there would be little room for criticism.

Somebody (most likely Nike) thinks the anthracite jerseys will sell better.

18 hours ago, HereComesThax said:

Well then. If I had any credibility on this board, I clearly don’t anymore. I’m gonna go sink back to my hole now.

I mean, you don't need to disappear. Just understand that social media rarely translates to reality. Especially right now with a lot of people out of work, there's a lot more people screaming and shouting on Twitter. The fact the Rams COO read "mean tweets" while also implying they aren't making any logo changes is because they seem to understand Twitter mobs are a vocal minority.

30 minutes ago, Quillz said:

With all this talk of how Tampa Bay didn't get influenced by Nike, I'm really confused.

So, Nike can just dictate what a team's uniforms look like without any oversight? They could have just said to the Bucs, "here's what your new uniforms will look like." The way it gets described here makes it sound like teams somehow have very little say except in rare cases. I must be misunderstanding.

5 minutes ago, Quillz said:

So, Nike can decide what a team can and can't wear? I just don't get that at all. How can they have that much power, to the point they can override the decisions of a team owner? If Nike decided the Rams were going to wear brown and lime green, there was nothing the Rams could have done about it? This is where I get confused, that just doesn't seem right to me.

Of course teams have the final say.  But Nike is very persuasive, and often have too much control in the final process.

On the one hand, I can see the position teams are in.  Nike pays a ton of money for the right to merchandise the teams, and they have lots of market research/sales data to back up their recommendations.  Make no mistake, "merchandising the teams" is Nike's only interest.  The only thing they care about is how much merch they can move this season, while teams have other considerations like building long-term brand equity.  Those considerations can get lost when a team's sales revenues are slumping and Nike comes in with lots of promises of boosting them back up.

There's also a sense of "they're the professionals, why did we bring them in if we're not going to listen to them?".  Teams that don't have a very strong idea of what they want when they go into the meeting can get easily steamrollered.

So to your last example, if Stan didn't have a clear sense that Rams fans wanted the classic colors, Nike could have come in with charts and graphs and shown him all their evidence that brown and lime green would reach the fans so much better than his boring old blue and gold.  That is, of course, if Nike thought that people would buy more brown and lime green.  Because short-term merchandise sales are their only business.

1 minute ago, Gothamite said:

Teams that don't have a very strong idea of what they want when they go into the meeting can get easily steamrollered.

I wonder how that plays out. I can see many teams having an idea of colors they want, but no idea what the uniforms will look like. As you said, I guess they then assume since Nike are the pros, the uniforms are good.

2 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

and often have too much control in the final process

Truly seems to be the case based on what I've seen and read. But if sales of TB merch does well, I wonder if that will change. Maybe other teams will see the power of making everything old new again, and start telling Nike to not do radical changes. I guess time will tell.

1 hour ago, Buc said:

Man I miss tall tee Tuesdays 

Norfolk,VA Philadelphia,PA VMD,(Virginia Maryland DC)

4 minutes ago, Quillz said:

Truly seems to be the case based on what I've seen and read. But if sales of TB merch does well, I wonder if that will change. Maybe other teams will see the power of making everything old new again, and start telling Nike to not do radical changes. I guess time will tell.

Should be very interesting.  We know that every design results in an immediate sales spike, even reviled ones (see "Buffaslug, The"). 

No doubt the Falcons will see a boost, as the Bucs will.  So that could result in mixed messages.

Archived