Tampa Bay Buccaneers Unveil New Uniforms

tBBP

5 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

When?  Or are you saying they will agree to it?  Because, yeah, if they do, that would change things.

They have agreed to it. 

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2770826-nfl-bans-lower-performing-helmets-impacts-about-200-players.amp.html

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26505526/nfl-enforces-helmet-ban-brady-31-others?platform=amp

NFLPA has to agree to to most league restrictions in equipment. It’s why Brady and AB had no leverage last year in changing helmets. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

They have agreed to it. 

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2770826-nfl-bans-lower-performing-helmets-impacts-about-200-players.amp.html

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26505526/nfl-enforces-helmet-ban-brady-31-others?platform=amp

NFLPA has to agree to to most league restrictions in equipment. It’s why Brady and AB had no leverage last year in changing helmets. 

Yeah, those specific helmets. Which why those specific player had to change. But that wasn't the only discontinued but still legal helmet out there. 

But maybe that's what they can do... just make every discontinued helmet instantly illegal. Still, that seems like a lot of trouble to go through just to have some cool throwbacks.  Also, while the union agreed to allow the ban for older helmets that specifically tested as under performing, they might not be as quick to give that access to all discontinued helmets, across the board. There are an awful lot of players pretty mentally invested in the helmet they wear, even if the manufacturer has moved on to something with  few more vents and ridges.

2 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Yeah, those specific helmets. Which why those specific player had to change. But that wasn't the only discontinued but still legal helmet out there. 

But maybe that's what they can do... just make every discontinued helmet instantly illegal. Still, that seems like a lot of trouble to go through just to have some cool throwbacks.  Also, while the union agreed to allow the ban for older helmets that specifically tested as under performing, they might not be as quick to give that access to all discontinued helmets, across the board. There are an awful lot of players pretty mentally invested in the helmet they wear, even if the manufacturer has moved on to something with  few more vents and ridges.

Huh? Which discontinued helmets are still allowed?

8 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Huh? Which discontinued helmets are still allowed?

Specific models?  I have no idea. But those helmets that Brown was so worked up had been discontinued for years. That's why it was such a big deal to him, and why he couldn't track one down. 

Helmet manufacturers are putting out new models constantly. Do you think that every player in the league is wearing a fresh off the line helmet?  I don't know, but I'm just guessing there's a lot of players that have a favorite helmet, one that passes all current safety standards, and one they wouldn't want to give up, that isn't instantly replaceable.

Look, we are getting way out in the weeds here.  The main thing I was trying to say is that people tend to misrepresent what the one-helmet rule is about. I think the NFL is just interested in picking their battles over this.

Just now, oldschoolvikings said:

Specific models?  I have no idea. But those helmets that Brown was so worked up had been discontinued for years. That's why it was such a big deal to him, and why he couldn't track one down. 

Helmet manufacturers are putting out new models constantly. Do you think that every player in the league is wearing a fresh off the line helmet?  I don't know, but I'm just guessing there's a lot of players that have a favorite helmet, one that passes all current safety standards, and one they wouldn't want to give up, that isn't instantly replaceable.

Look, we are getting way out in the weeds here.  The main thing I was trying to say is that people tend to misrepresent what the one-helmet rule is about. I think the NFL is just interested in picking their battles over this.

My wild guess is that 95% of the league is wearing a Riddell Speed model (introduced ~2010/2011) or newer (which is to say the Schutt and Vici models worn are newer than 2010/11)

I don't know if we have a specific list of the models worn on the field that are no longer available to new players.  But each year, the list of authorized helmets is updated, which leaves some veteran players with the option of being grandfathered in.

Regardless, you can say this is a silly policy.  But it is the policy, and that's the only point I was trying to make.

10 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

There was a fair amount of talk about it when Brady's grandfather period expired and he finally had to change helmets two years ago.  But the list changes every off-season.

Brady only changed his helmet in 2019. https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/tom-bradys-helmet-banned-qb-not-a-fan-of-his-new-helmet-but-doesnt-sound-like-hell-be-pulling-an-antonio-brown/

This was the list for 2019 https://www.playsmartplaysafe.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/nfl_helmetposter_040919a.pdf

31 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

DGNow kinda brought this up in the Pats thread, but it is rather amazing that the 2014-19 Bucs set is effectively the Jameis era uniforms. He started in the first game of new uni era in 2014, and he wore these unis until the last game. Seems rather rare for a QB to play in one specific uniform that is book-ended like that. 

Brady is similar in that he was a rookie in 2000 and the uniforms changed out after 2019, but Brady was QB2 in 2000. 

Jamies Winston was drafted in 2015. The 2014 Tampa Bay QB was Josh McCown.

da0Lbhs.png

2 minutes ago, simtek34 said:

Jamies Winston was drafted in 2015. The 2014 Tampa Bay QB was Josh McCown.

ahh s***

Disregard my analysis lol

Still, Mr. “Turnover Bakery” fits the whole mood of the ‘14-‘19 set so well. The team thought that the uniforms/Winston would be a symbol of future success, only to be dashed immediately, prove disappointing and problematic, and dragged through the mud by fans and outsiders. It’s fitting that the last moments of the set were an interception by the dude.

8 minutes ago, imawalkingcorpse said:

The Chargers knocked it out of the park. The Buccaneers struck out with the bases loaded down 1 in the bottom of the ninth. 

I respectfully disagree. They took a bottom 5 design, kept some of the salvageable elements and returned to one of their better looks. The chargers still have an identity crisis with a powder blue set, a royal blue set, and a navy set.

KISSwall09.jpg

16 minutes ago, imawalkingcorpse said:

The Chargers knocked it out of the park. The Buccaneers struck out with the bases loaded down 1 in the bottom of the ninth. 

You just hate pewter. I’d rather the team hold onto the one good period in franchise history than appease people who want the team to look like the club that went 2-26 in their first two years and dumped Steve Young.

22 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

You just hate pewter. I’d rather the team hold onto the one good period in franchise history than appease people who want the team to look like the club that went 2-26 in their first two years and dumped Steve Young.

Ehh the pewter is a losing color now. They would have been fine with a matte white helmet. 

I hate the new Buccaneers logo. Pewter was boring in 97, even more boring now.

Just now, imawalkingcorpse said:

A white helmet with the red and black flag has no history in Tampa. The pewter reminds people of a team that was good almost 20 years ago, that's it.

Even if Bucco Bruce isn't on the side, the white helmet would remind people of a team that was pretty much never good. The pewter represents the best period in team history, as well as calling to the classic image of a pirate (and the modern image of a pirate, for that matter).

ExJworW.png

Archived