Tampa Bay Buccaneers Unveil New Uniforms

tBBP

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/22/2020 at 8:30 AM, JayMac said:

I never got the "they were successful in those uniforms, so those are good or better uniforms" line of thinking. The Seahawks looked amazing from 1976 to 2001 (even better when they put the logo on the sleeve). Their look now is by far the worst but they won a Super Bowl in them. 

I like to call this line of thinking "success blinders".

There are instances where I'd agree, like the Pats sticking with that set until Brady left, but it's also a matter of taste, as many don't agree with your assessment of the Seahawks (*RAISES HAND*).

Winning is among the many factors that go into a new design because a team's identity should reflect the team's identity. Some weigh this factor too heavily for our taste, but ultimately this is about selling a brand. You do that by creating an emotional connection, and it can be hard to top "winning threads."

22 hours ago, GFB said:

Circling back around to the helmet decal size, these photoshops were created by the team themselves, and both of these graphics have the smaller helmet decal (click to enlarge)

EWNqEDlXkAEA3Ol?format=jpg&name=4096x409

I like this update, but think they would look a lot better with red socks.  The pewter is so dark (at least on this graphic) that it looks mono with the black socks.

31 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

It will be interesting to see if that translates into a different textile color on the jerseys too, or if the change will be limited to print/digital graphics.

Well they had 2 years under Nike with the old unis (2012-2013), so would presumably be the same as those. How much of a change there was in the fabric color between those and the 2014-2019 set (if any) I'm not sure of. Whether you'd be able to tell from the naked eye anyways, who knows.

29 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I like this update, but think they would look a lot better with red socks.  The pewter is so dark (at least on this graphic) that it looks mono with the black socks.

That's my issue with this new pewter. It worked in the 2014-2019 set since there was no black trim, so it essentially acted as a mix of the old pewter and black, kind of streamlining the color. But to use it in the old style uni set with black in the mix, it definitely becomes too dark and doesn't work as well as the old pewter.

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

1 hour ago, TornadoGTS said:

Well they had 2 years under Nike with the old unis (2012-2013), so would presumably be the same as those. How much of a change there was in the fabric color between those and the 2014-2019 set (if any) I'm not sure of. Whether you'd be able to tell from the naked eye anyways, who knows.

Every time nike changes the jersey material, the colors are similarly altered.  I would be interested for anyone who owns all three to compare them.

20 hours ago, -Akronite- said:

There are instances where I'd agree, like the Pats sticking with that set until Brady left, but it's also a matter of taste, as many don't agree with your assessment of the Seahawks (*RAISES HAND*).

Winning is among the many factors that go into a new design because a team's identity should reflect the team's identity. Some weigh this factor too heavily for our taste, but ultimately this is about selling a brand. You do that by creating an emotional connection, and it can be hard to top "winning threads."

What makes the current Seahawks uniforms better than any of the previous uniforms?

I swear I'm not being a troll or anything. I seriously want to try to understand opposing views.

I get what you are saying but to me, success cannot make for better aesthetics. The Patriots look was an overpiped mess. A super bowl victory or 6 won't change that.

47 minutes ago, JayMac said:

What makes the current Seahawks uniforms better than any of the previous uniforms?

I swear I'm not being a troll or anything. I seriously want to try to understand opposing views.

I get what you are saying but to me, success cannot make for better aesthetics. The Patriots look was an overpriced mess. A super bowl victory or 6 won't change that.

Well no one is arguing that success literally makes the aesthetic better objectively, but yeah. The point is that designs are not made in a vacuum. Sometimes teams go with a bold new direction to sell jerseys. Similarly teams return to looks to make money off the nostalgia and emotional connection to the look, which is amplified if the team won in them. That doesn't necessarily mean the look is "better," but it tends to be good business. And it tends work here too, because returning to a look usually means a simplified and more traditional identity, which is generally loved here. Ultimately, it's always case by case and matter of taste.

As for the Seahawks, I don't hate any of their old sets, I just personally prefer what they have now to maybe every other look. If I were older, perhaps I'd be more attached to their traditional threads, but I'm just not. They aren't necessarily flawed but they also don't wow me or stick in my mind. Some teams, like the Seahawks, just feel generic in traditional threads (my opinion). 

For the aughts look, I was not a fan of the use of two different dark blues and do not have the same affinity for the muted blue that many here have. The look was technically sound, I just didn't particularly care for the colors/aesthetic.

While I think there are ways to improve their current look (it bothers me that all their pants are missing a color), the general aesthetic is much more interesting and cool to me. Things I like:

• The colors! Blue and green already works for Seattle, but the current scheme emphasizes a modern brand which works in a big tech city. The bright green is awesome and I thought they underutilized it in the previous identity.
  • Monochrome is seen as a more modern trend, so it SUCKS on traditional looks. The Seahawks, IMO, pull it off with the navy at least. I think I prefer their contrast looks, but the mono-navy doesn't bother me. Like an exception to prove the rule.
  • By being a "trendy" team, it creates awesome contrast in matchups, both in color and design (since many of the NFL's best looks are simple/traditional with bright colors).
  • I am a fan of the little touches and new design elements. The patterns evoke imagery of Northwest tribes (which ties in with the logo) while fitting in with the modernness.
  • I typically dislike shiny pants/fabric, so their shift to matte is a win in my book.
  • They just look damn good on the field, in my opinion.

3 hours ago, RedSox44 said:

Fox would be insane not to put the Bucs non-national games on in New England.

That's up to the local affiliate, not National Fox.

When Favre signed with the Jets, any possible Jets' game was broadcast on CBS in GB (and frequently in Milwaukee).

It's where I sit.

On 4/23/2020 at 8:27 AM, Gothamite said:

It will be interesting to see if that translates into a different textile color on the jerseys too, or if the change will be limited to print/digital graphics.

I’d be surprised if the fabric color changes, unless it’s already in use (as fabric) by another team. It seems like all the “red” teams use the same bright red fabric, and the next darker step is Washington’s color.

Atlanta, if I recall, has long used the darker shade of red that Tampa Bay just switched back to, but the base garment fabrics were the same color as far as I can tell:

spacer.png

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

2 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

I’d be surprised if the fabric color changes, unless it’s already in use (as fabric) by another team. It seems like all the “red” teams use the same bright red fabric, and the next darker step is Washington’s color.

Atlanta, if I recall, has long used the darker shade of red that Tampa Bay just switched back to, but the base garment fabrics were the same color as far as I can tell:

spacer.png

Honestly, that’s what I’m expecting.  Just like all baseball teams with red caps wear the same shade of red, and how there are only two shades of navy blue, you’re either a light navy or midnight navy team. 

The graphics might have changed but I would be surprised if the jerseys did. 

On 4/23/2020 at 1:07 PM, Gothamite said:

Every time nike changes the jersey material, the colors are similarly altered.  I would be interested for anyone who owns all three to compare them.

I have authentic bucs jerseys from almost every timeline. The problem is my Brady authentic is scheduled for by Sept 24 delivery at the latest lol. You can always hit up my Flickr account black74diamond in the bucs album. Those jerseys are at my parents house or I’d take some side by sides.

KISSwall09.jpg

23 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

spacer.png

Stanford's Cardinal is in between this and burgundy.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 4/22/2020 at 7:30 AM, JayMac said:

I never got the "they were successful in those uniforms, so those are good or better uniforms" line of thinking. The Seahawks looked amazing from 1976 to 2001 (even better when they put the logo on the sleeve). Their look now is by far the worst but they won a Super Bowl in them. 

I like to call this line of thinking "success blinders".

On topic now - I still can't decide between the Bucco Bruce era or the Pewter 1.0 era. The former is a look that is perfect for a Florida team. The latter is a great look for a pirate team.

That's probably the best summation I've seen of the polar dichotomy of the Buccaneers' two predominant looks (and we'll just forget that they alarm-clocked their way into joke butts for six seasons). It also raises a good point about design direction, for any team based in a tangibly-unique geographical area--these are all good points that often are brought out during the creative planning process.

That said, as the [used-to-be] preeminent Buc fan on these boards, having grown up with creamsicle orange (which also is largely why orange is my second-favorite color--then again,  I'm from Florida so I like most anything bright 🌞), and setting aside the total culture shift of '97, of which the new pewter was definitely the harbinger of, along with all the emotional attachments to both I've had for the better part of 30-some years of my life, I've been back and forth in my brain several hundred and fifty times over whether the orange and white or pewter and red is objectively better from a design standpoint... and so after doing all that, even I concede that the pewter and red is the more visually distinctive and this better design than the orange and white.

(And trust me...that's no easy admission.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

9 hours ago, Buc said:

That's probably the best summation I've seen of the polar dichotomy of the Buccaneers' two predominant looks (and we'll just forget that they alarm-clocked their way into joke butts for six seasons). It also raises a good point about design direction, for any team based in a tangibly-unique geographical area--these are all good points that often are brought out during the creative planning process.

That said, as the [used-to-be] preeminent Buc fan on these boards, having grown up with creamsicle orange (which also is largely why orange is my second-favorite color--then again,  I'm from Florida so I like most anything bright 🌞), and setting aside the total culture shift of '97, of which the new pewter was definitely the harbinger of, along with all the emotional attachments to both I've had for the better part of 30-some years of my life, I've been back and forth in my brain several hundred and fifty times over whether the orange and white or pewter and red is objectively better from a design standpoint... and so after doing all that, even I concede that the pewter and red is the more visually distinctive and this better design than the orange and white.

(And trust me...that's no easy admission.)

Agreed. As much as I love the creamsicle color scheme (it’s perfect for Tampa Bay and Florida at large), I admit pewter is probably better for the primary set. This mostly rests on the opinion that the creamsicle away uniform is far inferior to the home version. The red numbers (which are probably necessary, for legibility reasons) throw off the balance with the orange pants and facemask. 

I think the ideal situation would be the current pewter set as the primaries, with the creamsicle throwback look for two games a year, once the one-helmet-rule (likely) gets nixed. They could even choose orange for the Color Rush look (with the white helmet, of course) to get that bright color scheme in for one more game. The Bucs are in a rare situation where I think they could pull off both color schemes, if they really wanted to.

On 4/25/2020 at 9:47 AM, MJWalker45 said:

Stanford's Cardinal is in between this and burgundy.

Definitely looks like it. I checked Arizona vs. Atlanta pics thinking their red might be darker, but it looks about the same (strangely, a little less saturated in some images, though).

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

On 4/21/2020 at 10:13 PM, UnclearInitial said:

With the Bucs back on the front pages, just something I wanted to see. IMO it's an improvement and less less dark team with red highlights generic

spacer.png

The dark brown and orange with red accents all blends really well together. Very nice. However, it would fit better with a alternate helmet that has the retro Bucco Bruce logo. It would complement the bold orange numbers more.

Buccaneers have this photo on their homepage...shows a good look of the smaller helmet logo (but it seems like the flag is far more rectangular/stretched)

Head Coach Bruce Arians' at-home desk setup for the 2020 NFL Draft

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived