Tampa Bay Buccaneers Unveil New Uniforms

tBBP

6 hours ago, the admiral said:

Dull? I mean, it is just brownish silver, warm grey in non-metallic applications. It's not boring, but it doesn't excite me, either.

Drab is the correct word, if that's what you want to say. Drab means something lacks color. Boring is more about tedium, something that's overly repetitive. When those uniforms debuted that color wasn't boring.

It's what the color evokes, though. It's the color of cannons, cannon balls, the metal on a treasure chest. Take off the logos off the 97 unis and it still looks like it belongs to a Pirate themed team. There's a reason they used it back then and that's why it's not "boring". 

That's not to defend the current uniforms which have lost the thread and are the worst in the NFL. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, -Akronite- said:

I feel like this discussion has been had before, but I see it as the opposite. The old pewter on the shiny fabric looked brown in certain lighting, part of why I always found it kinda ugly. The current matte consistently looks dark gray.

Yeah that “brown” is gone with this current set.

14 minutes ago, daniel75 said:

Yeah that “brown” is gone with this current set.

Funny, my wife walked by as I was watching the Bucs game yesterday and asked why the one team was brown. I always saw it as pewter gray since that's what they call it but now it looks very brown to me. It's in my head. 

The Bucs' pewter is weird. On the old unis, I thought it ALWAYS looked like a shade of brown:

T8bN4pf.jpg

But on the new set it varies for me. Still shots tend to look like a dark gray:

uv6ewFA.jpg

But on TV and in videos it gets a brown tint:

wSTgLym.gif

I really don't know what to make of it.

Whatever it really is, brown tint or not, it's one of the very few colors that looks better in a shiny fabric, along with the other metallic colors like gold and silver

9 hours ago, -Akronite- said:

I feel like this discussion has been had before, but I see it as the opposite. The old pewter on the shiny fabric looked brown in certain lighting, part of why I always found it kinda ugly. The current matte consistently looks dark gray.

Sorry, I don't see that at all. The current pewter looks brown. No two ways about it.

12 hours ago, jn8 said:

The Bucs' pewter is weird. On the old unis, I thought it ALWAYS looked like a shade of brown:

T8bN4pf.jpg

But on the new set it varies for me. Still shots tend to look like a dark gray:

uv6ewFA.jpg

But on TV and in videos it gets a brown tint:

wSTgLym.gif

I really don't know what to make of it.

Whatever it really is, brown tint or not, it's one of the very few colors that looks better in a shiny fabric, along with the other metallic colors like gold and silver

That might be due to pewter being metal..

15 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Sorry, I don't see that at all. The current pewter looks brown. No two ways about it.

I suppose we just have to agree to disagree, because the post right above yours illustrates my point exactly. The matte looks far more like a dark gray while the old look has a tannish brownish hue.

29 minutes ago, -Akronite- said:

I suppose we just have to agree to disagree, because the post right above yours illustrates my point exactly. The matte looks far more like a dark gray while the old look has a tannish brownish hue.

Nada. The old dazzle fabric gave it that metallic look that's inherent in pewter. It is a metal, after all. 

The matte not only looks brown, but it's not even properly pewter. It can be if it's matte, as pewter is a metal. It has a nature reflectiveness and a degree of shininess to it. 

19 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Nada. The old dazzle fabric gave it that metallic look that's inherent in pewter. It is a metal, after all. 

The matte not only looks brown, but it's not even properly pewter. It can be if it's matte, as pewter is a metal. It has a nature reflectiveness and a degree of shininess to it. 

Pewter is a metal, yes. And depending on the source of the coloring, it does have that tan/brown hue in it. You can argue that the old color is more metallic or a more accurate pewter or simply that it looks better. In some lighting, I do see what you mean in terms of the new fabric also looking like a dark brown. But in terms of which looks more brown/tan, the pictures speak for themselves.

Ike+Hilliard+Tampa+Bay+Buccaneers+v+New+

275px-NFCS-1997-2008-Uniform-TB.PNGComposite_Tampa_Bay_Buccaneers_uniforms.

gettyimages-1029946126.jpg?w=1000&h=600&

3 minutes ago, -Akronite- said:

But in terms of which looks more brown/tan, the pictures speak for themselves.

Yes, and in my opinion? The matter looks like brown, and the dazzle fabric looks pewter. 

I get that you feel you have to defend the Bucs' current set, but no. You're not selling me on this one. 

25 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Yes, and in my opinion? The matter looks like brown, and the dazzle fabric looks pewter. 

I get that you feel you have to defend the Bucs' current set, but no. You're not selling me on this one. 

I'm not arguing about the design, people are free to prefer one look over the other. I'm not even arguing that the new color/matte is better, as that's a matter of opinion. Hell, I'd even concede that the new look, in certain lighting, does come off like a dark brown. And whether the old color was a more accurate pewter is not really the question here. I'm just not sure how you can look at those two and claim that the old one was less brown/tan. 

I mean, how would you describe pewter? Yes it's metallic, but do you think the old fabric looks like a dark gray or some sort of gold or what?

5 minutes ago, -Akronite- said:

I'm just not sure how you can look at those two and claim that the old one was less brown/tan. 

The dazzle fabric of the old look had a dull metallic look to it that called pewter to mind. The matte version currently used lacks that element and looks dark brown. That's how. 

In short? Use dazzle fabrics if you're going to use a metallic colour. 

2 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

The dazzle fabric of the old look had a dull metallic look to it that called pewter to mind. The matte version currently used lacks that element and looks dark brown. That's how. 

In short? Use dazzle fabrics if you're going to use a metallic colour. 

How would you describe pewter as a color, outside of calling it metallic or dull?

6 minutes ago, -Akronite- said:

How would you describe pewter as a color, outside of calling it metallic or dull?

I'm unsure. I get that you're fishing for "brown" but that's not accurate. It can come off a dull bronze or silver, depending on the finish. 

Either way? Take away the metallic aspect and it's not pewter. Much like how silver becomes grey without the metallic aspect.

Just now, Ice_Cap said:

I'm unsure. I get that you're fishing for "brown" but that's not accurate. It can come off a dull bronze or silver, depending on the finish. 

Either way? Take away the metallic aspect and it's not pewter. Much like how silver becomes grey without the metallic aspect.

Bronze! Okay, yeah. I feel like bronze basically looks like a darker copper and, like pewter, has brownish tones/looks brown. I'm not trying to "gotcha," I just want to see how you are distinguishing the colors differently than I do.

Again, you can argue that it's more accurate to pewter. And you can certainly prefer the use of shiny fabrics (I personally find them ugly). But yeah, I think there's clearly some brownish tones in the old pewter. Silver becomes gray without the metallic aspect, but I'd argue that silver inherently has grayish tones. Same applies to pewter and brown IMO. And because the new matte finish is darker than the old one, shiny fabric or no, the brown stands out much less to me.

Anyway, I think we can move on.

As a longtime Bucs fan I love the ideas being thrown.  I was a fan of the Retro creamsicle unis, but loved the 1990s - 2000s unis as well.  I made up some concepts in that forum that have the Retro being left alone, but the latter unis being a combo of the two.  

I really hope they bring Bucco Bruce back in some capacity. I don't remember the era when Tampa used Bucco and the creamsicle uniforms, I was about 5 or 6 when they switched over to the pewter identity, but ol' Bruce and those bright orange jerseys are actually what got me interested in sports logos and uniform design. I have only one customized NFL jersey and it's a creamsicle. 

@McCarthy as others have clearly expressed, your concept is awesome. I was scanning this thread for the first time in a while and among all of the variations and color schemes, I think that the one you put on that white helmet a couple pages back works best. 

On 10/10/2019 at 7:36 PM, Brian in Boston said:

...However, there was a difference - no matter how subtly technical - between privateers, buccaneers and pirates.

I’m confused...

Why write several long paragraphs in apparent disagreement if your conclusion is the exact point we’re all trying to make?

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

4 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

I’m confused...

Why write several long paragraphs in apparent disagreement if your conclusion is the exact point we’re all trying to make?

The post by don't care that I was responding to claimed:

"Buccaneers were privateers, and privateers were pirates. It’s literally 2 words talking about the same thing just ones backed by the Spanish and French were known as buccaneers, and ones backed by the English were known as pirates."

I explained to him -in detail - that this was not the case. Technically speaking, privateers/buccaneers/corsairs were not the same as pirates. The former engaged in the attack and seizure of ocean-going vessels under the protection of letters of marque issued by royal personages and/or governmental entities. By contrast, pirates attacked and captured such vessels under their own volition. 

Further, I pointed out that "privateers" - not "pirates", as don't care claimed - was the term that the English used to describe privately-owned ships licensed to attack and seize ocean-going vessels from nations at war with the British crown, as well as the personnel that manned said ships. "Buccaneers" was a term that came to be applied to the personnel - initially French, but later also Dutch and English - manning similarly-licensed ships and operating specifically in the Caribbean.    

Archived