Tampa Bay Buccaneers Unveil New Uniforms

tBBP

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At this point, I think the Bucs really should stay with Pewter helmets...It’s just freaking cool man, it looks like a damn cannon ball and is about as pirate-y as it gets. 

I just came across this pic this morning:

spacer.png

And I think it would be a great place to start-Pewter/Red/Silver. Obviously they would need a different number font and contrasting pants, but I really love the way the colors work together. 

55 minutes ago, 8BW14 said:

I think it would be a great place to start-Pewter/Red/Silver. Obviously they would need a different number font and contrasting pants, but I really love the way the colors work together. 

I don't, not on the uniforms the way Nike handles them. We have red, white and what looks like an ugly dull brownish-gray color on 95% of the uniform. If Nike cannot get pewter right for crap, would you rather they keep making bad attempts or just cut their losses and make a set they can get right in full?

The least the Bucs can do is look good while being a pile of crap on the field. And since Nike seemingly has a physical and mental aversion to making pewter look good, I'd rather they go the route of least pain and embrace the fact that they play outdoors in the Sunshine State and be, well, colorful. Like it or not, red/brownish-gray/white isn't exactly the most colorful pallete to work with; orange/red/white is much more vibrant and looks gorgeous on the field.

Of course, this is the Buccaneers; so I expect the coming rebrand to not be going back to the throwbacks as a great deal of people are hoping, but just making everything pewter-dominant; because Lord forbid this organization actually gets something right for a change. 😛

@Ridleylash I’d stay away from a pewter jersey/pants, unless they go back to a dazzle fabric, because you’re right, it does indeed look brown now with the matte fabrics. However, that metallic pewter helmet is a thing of beauty. As a trim color on numbers or an embroidered sleeve logo, where the thread/twill has a reflective sheen, the pewter is great too, IMO. The application matters. They went way overboard with the pewter/yokes. Pewter has its place in the Bucs identity, but showing some restraint/artfulness is key, which speaks to your point about Nike having none (even though the uniforms are ultimately up to the team, if they want shiny pewter, they’ll get shiny pewter).

All of that said, that’s just my opinion and you’re entitled to yours.

15 minutes ago, 8BW14 said:

@Ridleylash I’d stay away from a pewter jersey/pants, unless they go back to a dazzle fabric, because you’re right, it does indeed look brown. However, that metallic pewter helmet is a thing of beauty. As a trim color on numbers or an embroidered sleeve logo, where the thread/twill has a reflective sheen, the pewter is great too, IMO. The application matters. They went way overboard with the pewter/yokes. Pewter has its place in the Bucs identity, but showing some restraint/artfulness is key, which speaks to your point about Nike having none (even though the uniforms are ultimately up to the team, if they want shiny pewter, they’ll get shiny pewter).

sMSzQRP.png

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

You know, it's a shame....if not for the stupid number font, the Bucs can look terrific in their current sets.  If they would've done something less outlandish with the font - the application itself is pretty cool - and avoided the use of TV numbers (does the NFL allow that?), there'd be no need to change these, when worn right.   Pewter/Red/Pewter/Red and Pewter/White/Pewter/White are fantastic, but that number font just eliminates all that is good about these and automatically everyone dismisses them as being terrible, just because of the font.

629168228.jpg.0.jpg

1066272656.jpeg&c=sc&w=3200&h=2271

4 minutes ago, Volt said:

You know, it's a shame....if not for the stupid number font, the Bucs can look terrific in their current sets.  If they would've done something less outlandish with the font - the application itself is pretty cool - and avoided the use of TV numbers (does the NFL allow that?), there'd be no need to change these, when worn right.   Pewter/Red/Pewter/Red and Pewter/White/Pewter/White are fantastic, but that number font just eliminates all that is good about these and automatically everyone dismisses them as being terrible, just because of the font.

629168228.jpg.0.jpg

1066272656.jpeg&c=sc&w=3200&h=2271

It's not just because of the number font that people dismiss them.

- Pewter looks awful when it's not metallic.

- Nike decided to overload the shoulders with that awful matte pewter.

- The logo is a worse version of the previous logo.

- The logo is too damn big.

- The chrome is completely unnecessary.

spacer.png

22 minutes ago, burgundy said:

Subjective opinions, both your's & mine.  

I honestly don't believe the "Pewter" is that far different from the previous "Pewter", albeit a little darker, but the fabrics are completely different, so they're going to look different.   Keep in mind, what most of you call "Pewter" is simply a color Nike created for the Buccaneers...but I love how you all say "nIKe cAnT dO pEwtER".

51 minutes ago, burgundy said:

- "Bucs" on one sleeve and the pirate ship on the other

32 minutes ago, Volt said:

Subjective opinions, both your's & mine.  

I honestly don't believe the "Pewter" is that far different from the previous "Pewter", albeit a little darker, but the fabrics are completely different, so they're going to look different.   Keep in mind, what most of you call "Pewter" is simply a color Nike created for the Buccaneers...but I love how you all say "nIKe cAnT dO pEwtER".

Of course it's subjective. I was just pointing out the main problems that people have with the uniforms other than the number font.

I never said Nike can't do pewter. They're just choosing not to do metallic pewter because they believe it's an outdated fabric, even though many of us think it looks superior to matte.

spacer.png

2 hours ago, Volt said:

Keep in mind, what most of you call "Pewter" is simply a color Nike created for the Buccaneers..

What?

The Buccaneers used "pewter" before Nike. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

3 hours ago, Volt said:

Completely agree, they also rarely wore the right combination. Besides the numbers the only thing that bugged me was not having the ship on both sleeves.

4 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Nike cannot get pewter right for crap

The Buccaneers' pewter was more brown than gray when they wore dazzle fabric, and I think they've done a good job at maintaining that general color with a flat fabric. The actual issue is that they lightened the helmet to have grayer tones in 2014, but didn't do the same with the pewter on the jersey or pants (and that doesn't necessarily mean Nike can't get it right, but that they chose to not go that route). Had they kept the previous helmet, it wouldn't be an issue.

2 hours ago, burgundy said:

They're just choosing not to do metallic pewter because they believe it's an outdated fabric, even though many of us think it looks superior to matte.

And at that point, you're left with an ugly and boring color that nobody likes; and somehow I doubt this rebrand is just Nike changing their mind on metallic fabric being outdated, so if there's pewter, it will still look like an ugly grayish-brown mess.

If only one uniform element can even look good in a certain color because the league's jersey manufacturer refuses to use metallic fabric, what exactly's the point of keeping the color at all at that point? It's not like the pewter is really all that much more successful then the creamsicles at this point, considering they haven't even made the playoffs in over a decade and are close to matching the ever-maligned creamsicle Bucs teams in terms of playoff futility.

And at least those Creamsicle Bucs teams looked good while being bad. Ever since Nike took over and nixed the metallic fabrics, pewter hasn't looked good on the Bucs; so now they both look and play badly on the field.

5 hours ago, 8BW14 said:

At this point, I think the Bucs really should stay with Pewter helmets...It’s just freaking cool man, it looks like a damn cannon ball and is about as pirate-y as it gets. 

I just came across this pic this morning:

spacer.png

And I think it would be a great place to start-Pewter/Red/Silver. Obviously they would need a different number font and contrasting pants, but I really love the way the colors work together. 

I don’t think there’s any silver in there except for the chrome facemask. Those numbers are metallic pewter similar to the helmet. Amazing how Nike can make metallic numerals but not jerseys or pants. 

3 hours ago, burgundy said:

I dislike the numbers and ageee with your first two points, but the last three don’t bother me. 

Archived