Tampa Bay Buccaneers Unveil New Uniforms

tBBP

5 hours ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

I'd wait and see. If I've learned anything about sports uniforms it's that the only people to trust on info are the weirdos that frequent this sub. Everyone else just kind of says things. 

4 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

This is true. In my experience, to everyone who doesn't frequent this board, as long as there isn't a color change or a new logo, everything is a minor change.

So I was at the XFL Tampa Bay Vipers game last week. Some guy behind us was going on about how he liked the Vipers' jerseys because they reminded him of the Packers. Weird right? That's the level of detail normal people care about this stuff. So Bruce Arians could have seen a mockup of a Super Bowl-esque look with white helmets and gone "I donno, looked like the set from the Super Bowl year."

Not everyone cares enough about this stuff to care about those distinctions 😛

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Haz_Matt said:

Maybe it's time to use anthracite and drop pewter? It's a color Nike can keep consistent, looks mostly the same in any lighting and also resembles a cannon and cannon ball ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I’d hate for the Bucs to drop a color they have owned within the Big 4 sports leagues. I’d rather they just insisted it be done better. 

10 hours ago, chakfu said:

Interesting - in the 80s/90s was it also 5? (Between the Bills and Jets changes I guess, so a little over a decade?) Adding the Bucs and Oilers/Titans.

Patriots had white helmets until ‘93.

Late 80s white helmets: 

Indy

Miami

NE

Houston

St Louis/Phoenix

Tampa

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

22 hours ago, henburg said:

I actually prefer the matte finish of the newer fabric to the old dazzle fabric 9 times out of 10. Still, teams like the Buccaneers with actual metallic colors really did benefit from that fabric being so popular at the time. If the Bucs asked for that finish specifically, I'm positive that Nike could develop a Vapor Untouchable variation of it. That said, most teams probably just don't notice and don't know to ask. 

I think most, if not all, the silver/gold teams should go back to dazzle.  I prefer the Eagles in dazzle as well.  If they don't want to or can't make it themselves, Nike could just contract them out to Ripon like they did early on in the deal, 

10 hours ago, Haz_Matt said:

Maybe it's time to use anthracite and drop pewter? It's a color Nike can keep consistent, looks mostly the same in any lighting and also resembles a cannon and cannon ball ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Totally.  I don't think the "warmness" of pewter really adds anything to the boldness of a dark silver.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Agreed - the brown just gets muddy.  A dark silver, or anthracite, or whatever Nike's marketing department wants to call it this week, could easily provide the same effect while being a more attractive color overall.

I would drop the black, though, from everything except the logos.  The uniforms don't need black trim when there's already a very dark black-ish color present.

15 hours ago, daniel75 said:

The only problem I had with the old pewter pants was at times it looked brownish. The new pewter doesn’t have that problem, although I do prefer them shiny.

spacer.png
spacer.png

Good God those Buccaneers uniforms are awful. They haven't aged well at all and the pewter is really ugly IMO. It's shocking how bad they look.

17 hours ago, LAWeaver said:

The last thing we need in the league is another white helmet, so I'm glad to hear it resembles the Super Bowl era uniforms. 

14 hours ago, THRILLHO said:

There are five white helmets in the league now. Is six too many?

EDIT. Actually I think there are six now. Maybe seven would be a lot. I don’t. Know. 

13 hours ago, rjrrzube said:

Only 5 is right. 

Arizona

Indianapolis 

Buffalo 

Miami

LA Chargers 

The too "many white helmets" dicussion is dumb. It's no more prevalent than alot of other colors:

Dark Blue (6)

Bears

Rams

Seahawks

Texans

Titans

Broncos

Silver  (5)

Lions

Panthers

Cowboys

Patriots

Raiders

Black  (4)

Falcons

Ravens

Steelers

Jaguars

9 minutes ago, GrimlockAutobot said:

The too "many white helmets" dicussion is dumb. It's no more prevalent than alot of other colors:

Dark Blue (6)

Bears

Rams

Seahawks

Texans

Titans

Broncos

Silver  (5)

Lions

Panthers

Cowboys

Patriots

Raiders

Black  (4)

Falcons

Ravens

Steelers

Jaguars

So it’s not a problem if half the league wears 3 different helmet colours but the Broncos having a somewhat similar scheme to the Bears is a travesty?

1 hour ago, Chromatic said:

So it’s not a problem if half the league wears 3 different helmet colours but the Broncos having a somewhat similar scheme to the Bears is a travesty?

Game.

Set.

Match.

It's where I sit.

2 hours ago, Chromatic said:

I'm over that, troll.

You want to have intelligent conversation, I'm here for that.

You want to rehash dumb :censored: then go the :censored: away.

3 hours ago, GrimlockAutobot said:

Dark Blue (6)

Bears

Rams

Seahawks

Texans

Titans

Broncos

Silver  (5)

Lions

Panthers

Cowboys

Patriots

Raiders

Black  (4)

Falcons

Ravens

Steelers

Jaguars

Technically the Cowboys wear "Texas Blue" 😉

3 hours ago, GrimlockAutobot said:

Dark Blue (6)

Bears

Rams

Seahawks

Texans

Titans

Broncos

Silver  (5)

Lions

Panthers

Cowboys

Patriots

Raiders

Black  (4)

Falcons

Ravens

Steelers

Jaguars

Put the Broncos into their old lighter-ish blue and the Falcons into red and we can shrink this list.

46 minutes ago, GrimlockAutobot said:

I'm over that, troll.

You want to have intelligent conversation, I'm here for that.

You want to rehash dumb :censored: then go the :censored: away.

How do you say this stuff and then :censored: about toxicity?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

16 hours ago, IceCap said:

So I was at the XFL Tampa Bay Vipers game last week. Some guy behind us was going on about how he liked the Vipers' jerseys because they reminded him of the Packers. Weird right? That's the level of detail normal people care about this stuff. So Bruce Arians could have seen a mockup of a Super Bowl-esque look with white helmets and gone "I donno, looked like the set from the Super Bowl year."

Not everyone cares enough about this stuff to care about those distinctions 😛

I don't even think I can relate to the lack of attention to detail "normal" people have.  And I know they're the normal people and we're not.  But it reminds of the release of the Vikings current uniforms.  A lot of fans would say "I like these throwbacks." 

So you're probably right about Arians.  Guys who work 23-hour days on scheming probably don't actually remember (the way we remember) what the team's uniform looked like before they were even with the team.  The most you can probably read from this is that they're not going back to creamsicle and they're not reinventing themselves in purple and green or red, white, and blue.

I'd be flabbergasted if they brought back my favorite feature of those uniforms: the numbers.  Yes.  I love the block font and I love the three layers.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived