Tampa Bay Buccaneers Unveil New Uniforms

tBBP

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Jezus_Ghoti said:

It's an easy catch-all to describe this era of NFL uniforms and the similar traits they all share. Would you prefer I directly blame Shandon Melvin for his hand in overseeing the design of them?

If people need a single entity to “blame” for these things, there just isn’t one. Everyone, the team execs, the league’s design team, the outfitter’s design team, and sometimes even an outside agency has a hand in the final product. Even within an individual design team, there’s a structure where designers bring initial ideas that are subsequently filtered through an art director and/or creative director. That’s typically who decides what goes in front of the team and what gets left on the idea board, and also how (and how aggressively) it gets presented or “sold” to the team execs and/or league.

I think a fair way to look at it (at least for what I understand to be the NFL’s process) is this: the NFL is usually responsible for the concept and execution of the branding (incl. the helmet), while the outfitter is usually responsible for the concept and execution of the uniform, and the team acts as a guide and guardrail through the whole project. Obviously, teams vary in how liberal or conservative or how hands-on or -off they are through it, but that just reflects how different every project is and is a perfect example why it’s short-sighted to always blame the same entity or a single entity at all. It’s tough to know where it went wrong without having been there. That particular workflow alone makes it difficult to connect everything, in my opinion.

Sometimes a team tells you exactly what it wants. Sometimes it even sends you artwork. One time we presented a full set of four uniform and identity designs for a third jersey, and the team came back with one of our logos on a uniform that they had an agency design. There’s a basic, flexible structure to these type of projects, but they’re all unique in their own little ways.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

If we are to continue jag-jacking (jagging?) this thread, it's amazing how much gold does for the uniforms. This would be my favorite uniform in the league. 

aIn5pfI.png

Similarly, Tampa NEEDS orange as a tertiary/trim color on the uniforms. The orange trim on the numbers was my favorite part of those uniforms. 

Nike may be moving away from the double-outlined numbers, but then you remember the last set essentially had 3 outlines when you count the reflective silver.

usa-today-8546330.0.jpg

1076490832.jpg.0.jpg

Oddly enough, the orange outlines actually gave a 'glow' effect in the sunlight as well. 

kwohlynqystdjtvdncqo.jpg

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

17 hours ago, CrookedThumb said:

The new uniforms have a pewter helmet, but the Bucs decide to try and pull off Creamsicle Day anyway.  Everything from the neck down would be true to the throwback, but as a middle finger to the One Helmet Rule,  they take the pewter helmet and put Bucco Bruce, the helmet stripe, and the orange face mask on it?

9wVCHBp.png

6 hours ago, Volt said:

Plus, the football in the logo will still be orange, unless that's changed, too...so that'll make no sense at all if that's the only orange in the entire rebrand.

8Xpxcz6.png

0I3kSAc.png

We are wolves • Under the moon

so I assume that this should go in the "unpopular opinions" thread, but I genuinely do not like neither the original buccaneers uniforms, nor do I find these mockups all that exciting. The main issue I have with the design of the super bowl uniforms is that there is this weirdness when it comes to message.

z15NooF.png

So, I've decided to put boxes around things that would individually make sense within separate sets.

The Green is for things that feel like Arena Football.

I've always though that while the primary logo was a solid mark and conveyed the "gritty edgy ol' pirate instead of 30's and 40's movies" theme, it never looked at home within the NFL as a whole. It was relatively complex, making it look strange against the Lions, packers, and bears logos, while not complex enough to look at home against the vikings logo (using NFC Central teams to shorthand my feelings). Around the time of the introduction of the logo, I understand that the Dolphins, Bengals, Broncos, Eagles, Ravens (Browns), 49ers, Jags and Panthers all either got new logos or became new teams, but all of these logos feel more expertly crafted of more suited to fit within and next to the simpler logos of the rest of the NFL.

Here is the Bucs logo against 2003 Arena Football logos.

ro7acZy.png

I'm just guessing, but if you knew nothing about football and I asked you which of these is an NFL team, I'd say the Bucs are maybe your 3rd or 4th guess.

Pink is for things that are quintessentially "tame 90's sports design". It matches a sort of evolution with how teams were promoted and the influx of merchandise of the era, while still trying to stay true to traditional sports aesthetics. The block font, although directly clashing with the style of the Buccaneers logo and wordmark, is somewhat forgivable because of that double outline. However, this double outline, especially when the white base is relatively thin, has the effect of making it feel like it belongs on an Old Navy T-shirt rather than an NFL jersey. (All of this applies to the Dolphins block numbers they introduced in '97, but replace the thin inner number comment with the drop shadow.) The pants aren't anything super special, but the shiny fabric that's been talked to death was just seen as an evolution of football/athletic materials. I think it's dumb, but hey, to each their own. 

Blue is for "Things that feel at home on a movie's football team", or if you prefer, "REAL GOOD DESIGN".

Traditional-ish pant stripe (although in nontraditional colors) and a lack of serious sleeve stripe, only replaced with color blocking on the elastic portion of the jersey (not shown in this photo) are kinda, well... boring. The team, during this giant merchandising boom of the 90's, dramatically scale themselves back aesthetically. It makes no sense, that with the name that they had and the new logo that they had, etc. that from a uniform standpoint, they look like they could be playing against the Rock in The Gameplan. It was unimaginative, derivative, and aesthetically bland.

The fact that they're bringing back this design, although I understand it makes sense nostalgically, is such a dumb idea. They lose their identifiable traits from even the super bowl era (lak of orange is a big deal) and become a team without a certifiable identity.

Unrelated but it astounds me that their stadium is super cool and they have a really unique and interesting feature front and center (the giant pirate ship), but their old and new uniforms in Raymond James literally can't match that energy.

If those are the real Bucs unis, then it is the exact same scenario as the Jaguars. Use a flashy, cartoony uniform for 5-6 years, get ripped apart for it, and then compensate by making the newest set excessively simplified and lifeless. God forbid they find a middle ground that has some sort of design element on the jersey but avoids gimmicky nonsense like enormous helmet logos and two-toned helmet shells. They'd better minimize use of the white on white look, which doesn't have any pewter aside from the helmet and is ultimately very plain and boring. At least the previous white on white set they wore often had a solid balance of red and pewter with some orange mixed in. Take away the helmet and both the home and road uniforms are just bland beyond comprehension.

I really didn't think this would be an unpopular opinion but the mockups look good, nothing like the Falcons at least in my eyes, and comparing them to the Jags is a funny because the Jags look really good right now, the best they've looked in 20 years

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

I'm really annoyed with these new Bucs renderings.

The only sin worse than making something ugly is making something boring. I think they somehow managed to do both. They took an already boring set and made it even more yawn-worthy.

Orange has been the truest, most prominent color in franchise history.  I just will be stunned if they ditch it, especially when a team in the flippin' conference is Red & Black (Pewter be damned). 

Sadly, their current set was a number font fix away from being a great uniform and they're going in reverse, if Lukas is right.  Permanent half-throwbacks.  Just dumb.

1 hour ago, Htown1141 said:

so I assume that this should go in the "unpopular opinions" thread, but I genuinely do not like neither the original buccaneers uniforms, nor do I find these mockups all that exciting. The main issue I have with the design of the super bowl uniforms is that there is this weirdness when it comes to message.

I have a theory about the Bucs' Super Bowl set. That is that pewter was a late addition. This would explain why it's absent from the jerseys. The original prototype mockups from the Bucs' 1997 redesign featured black, silver, or white helmet shells. That makes a lot of sense in the context of 1997. Out of the box helmet design wasn't a trend yet, and if you're the Tampa Bay Buccaneers looking to reinvent yourself in that context? Those are the colours you'd likely consider. You even see this with early graphics. A lot of trading cards and sports magazines printed the Bucs' helmet graphic as if it were silver.

I'm guessing that someone thought of pewter relatively late in the process, and they decided to run with it instead of white or silver. The original set's alternate white pants could even have been a holdover from the original plans to debut the 1997 set with a white or silver helmet.

In the end though? I think it all worked out. The 1997-2014 Bucs uniforms are a real mystery to me, because I should hate it. It's got too many colours, uses them inconsistently, and @the admiral is right. They seem a bit too 49ers-ish. 

The logos are brilliant though, and ironically? They're better suited to digital applications in the 21st century then the "updates" the team rolled out in 2014. As for colours...I've explained it before but I think that what works is that there are too many colours that are used inconsistently? They all worked in the applications they were used in. Pewter didn't have to be on the jerseys, because it worked as a great backbone for the identity in the helmets and pants. And there were enough elements on those parts of the uniform that did tie into the jerseys. It's like the Cowboys' white jerseys. They don't need silver to look like they fit with the silver helmets and pants.

I've seen people claim black was unnecessary, but I disagree. It worked as a trim element, never once becoming overused. The Bucs never overexposed it with black pants or jerseys. Orange worked the same way. It wasn't strictly necessary, but it popped in the small spaces it was used in.

The 1997-2014 Bucs set was a master-class in how to balance a lot of different elements and handle it effectively. Everything was used just enough to the point where it worked without being over-exposed. The colour scheme ended up being busy but very workable.

The 49ers comparisons, however, are still apt. And one of the reasons I'm keen to see a Super Bowl-inspired look that uses white helmets and pants. I think it could mitigate those comparisons.

47 minutes ago, Volt said:

Sadly, their current set was a number font fix away from being a great uniform and they're going in reverse, if Lukas is right.  Permanent half-throwbacks.  Just dumb.

I can't agree. The current set has more problems than just the numbers.

The chrome mask seems more appropriate for a gimmicky college helmet than a pro team's helmet.

Pewter doesn't need to be on the jerseys (see above).

The yokes aren't really necessary and seem too futuristic for a team named after swashbuckling pirates.

Having a truncated wordmark on one sleeve doesn't make much sense.

The shards of colour masquerading as pants stripes came off as lazy considering the very similar pants design Jacksonville rolled out a year earlier.

That's not even getting into the logo redesigns that weren't as good as the 1997-2014 versions.

47 minutes ago, Volt said:

Orange has been the truest, most prominent color in franchise history.

I agree with you here though. That's probably my biggest letdown from this announcement. The orange looked great on the Super Bowl set, and I would hate to see it go. If Lukas is right? That's a misstep for sure. That being said...

54 minutes ago, Edubdesign said:

I'm really annoyed with these new Bucs renderings.

The only sin worse than making something ugly is making something boring. I think they somehow managed to do both. They took an already boring set and made it even more yawn-worthy.

I can't agree with this.

The 2014-2019 look was awful. Legitimately, in my opinion, one of the worst in football history. The mockups Lukas has presented are an over-correction and dull, but I'll take them over the current set any day of the week.

1 hour ago, andrewharrington said:

Everyone, the team execs, the league’s design team, the outfitter’s design team, and sometimes even an outside agency has a hand in the final product.

I think that, honestly, there are an eye-raising amount of similarities between the Jags and Bucs' recent uniform history.

First- Over-design and gimmicky uniforms with arguably unnecessary logo revamps that rely on shads of colour across the pants and jerseys, a jagged and pointy custom number font, a patch that includes a truncated version of the team nickname, and helmet designs that borrow heavily from collegiate trends.

zr59xVs.png

UnbhBKW.jpg?1

Followed by- Stripped down version of a beloved previous uniform that keeps the last redesign's revamped logos on an otherwise basic uniform that strips away perhaps too much (gold in the Jags' case, orange in the Bucs' case).

7Yu0Kjv.png

35yuOwZ.png

I'm unsure if that's Nike, the league's design team, or an outside agency that was involved in all of this, but I find it hard to believe both teams followed the same trajectory independently of each other. It seems like someone fairly influential in the design process at either Nike or the NFL only has two speeds- insanity or a bit too boring.

So much hate for rumors about uniforms. Legit these may be from a reputable source but it’s still third hand information and some information could easily have been lost. Clearly they are pushing back the the Super Bowl det with current logos and I couldn’t be happier.

2 minutes ago, dont care said:

So much hate for rumors about uniforms. Legit these may be from a reputable source but it’s still third hand information and some information could easily have been lost. Clearly they are pushing back the the Super Bowl det with current logos and I couldn’t be happier.

I'm still not convinced they're dropping orange. The first teaser video featured orange pretty prominently, and they have posters up around town that feature "2020" in block fonts that match the Super Bowl set, complete with orange outlines.

Lukas has never been one for detail (weird for this hobby, but whatever) so I'm hoping he just overlooked it.

2 minutes ago, IceCap said:

I'm still not convinced they're dropping orange. The first teaser video featured orange pretty prominently, and they have posters up around town that feature "2020" in block fonts that match the Super Bowl set, complete with orange outlines.

Lukas has never been one for detail (weird for this hobby, but whatever) so I'm hoping he just overlooked it.

Unfortunately, he seemed pretty sure of the mock-ups.

The uniforms were shown to me by an industry source who has requested anonymity. I did a fair amount of vetting to confirm the source’s credibility, and it’s clear to me that what he showed me are indeed the team’s new uniforms. I was not permitted to take photos or other visual documentation, but I was allowed to take detailed notes, so I will give you a point-by-point description of the designs — a fairly easy task, as it turns out, because the designs are very straightforward. 

Again, I wasn’t permitted to retain any photos or other visuals, but I’m pretty sure the mock-up is a match for what I was shown. My source has also confirmed that it’s accurate.

0I3kSAc.png

We are wolves • Under the moon

2 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Just a couple of minor tweaks would fix the Jags same as with the Bucs. Add the little orange trim to the Bucs and everything is back to normal. Add a little gold trim to the numbers and switch the piping on the white jersey from black to teal and the Jags are winners. 

LUgwBxN.jpg

Add some some type of stripes on the pants and it's perfect

I'm of the opinion that we, at least in some small modicum, be grateful that they didn't unveil some further abomination.  It's an overcorrection, no doubt, but I'm choosing to look at it as more of a reset.

It's my form of coping, I suppose.  The Jaguars too are a drastic overcorrection, BUT the basis has been stripped of all the silly bullcrap and we're left with what's essentially drywall with one lonely picture.  The Bucs are pretty much at that stage as well. 

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

1 minute ago, CherryMX said:

I'm of the opinion that we, at least in some small modicum, be grateful that they didn't unveil some further abomination.  It's an overcorrection, no doubt, but I'm choosing to look at it as more of a reset.

It's my form of coping, I suppose.  The Jaguars too are a drastic overcorrection, BUT the basis has been stripped of all the silly bullcrap and we're left with what's essentially drywall with one lonely picture.  The Bucs are pretty much at that stage as well. 

That's where I'm at. Is this new uniform what I would prefer? No. Does it have some missteps? Yeah (no orange). It's still infinitely preferable to the trainwreck they had before, so I'll take it.

Archived