Tampa Bay Buccaneers Unveil New Uniforms

tBBP

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

I mean, I dunno if it's age. I was born a year after the Bucs debuted the Super Bowl uniforms and so never even saw the creamsicles when they were the primary jerseys, but I still think orange is a crucial part of what makes the Bucs the Bucs. Without it, you're basically left with a look that is so...dull.

And this is Florida, after all, the Sunshine State. "Dull" should be the LAST descriptor anybody should think of for a team based in Florida; ideally, teams would embrace brightness, not become even more dark.

Red and Pewter isn't dull and it fits the Buccaneers name much better

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

24 minutes ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

Red and Pewter isn't dull and it fits the Buccaneers name much better

And teal is a good fit for "Jaguars" or "Sharks"? Orange is a good fit for "Dolphins"? Blue is a good color for "Lions" or "Maple Leafs"? Team colors don't have to necessarily "fit" the name perfectly. Hell, let's use a different Florida team as a good example of why forcing colors to "fit the team name" isn't always a good idea.

spacer.png

The Panthers are a good example of this; what's necessarily "Panthers"-y about bright red, navy blue, gold, white and yellow put together? Not much, but the colors fit the location; aside from navy, all of them are bright, vibrant colors. They wouldn't look out of place, say, set against a Floridian sunset on the beach;

spacer.png

Now imagine that same jersey in a color scheme that's closer to that of an actual Florida panther, so fitting the team name;

spacer.png

...and suddenly that jersey doesn't look nearly as appealing as it did before. I mean, what's visually eye-catching about tan, white and black? Sure, it's the accurate colors for a Florida panther, but it's also horribly boring from an aesthetic standpoint. There's basically no real "pop" color there, so going with a unique color scheme makes a whole lot of sense.

This is why I don't like the rebranded colors for the Panthers; it loses that Floridian feel in favor of...I guess looking a little "tougher"? It's silly.

The Bucs brand has been the same since the team's inception; it's been red, orange and white. Later on they added pewter, but those three colors remained core parts of the Buccaneers color scheme and branding. Abandoning orange is basically abandoning a core part of the team's visual identity since they were founded. And I don't think that's a good thing.

You need only look at their NHL brothers in Amalie Arena to see why abandoning a unique color scheme to you is a terribleno goodvery bad idea.

21 minutes ago, Jeffery said:

If they went with orange and pewter:

1hFfXNk.jpg

Woof. Not good. Honestly Pewter only works with red being the dominant color with it. If orange was gonna be brought back in a more prominent role, then ditch pewter completely. 

In fact if the fabric is gonna stay matte , should just ditch pewter anyway. Looks terrible.

To me, the Bucs are a Red, Pewter & Orange team. They've never needed black as a colour and it was the colour that caused clutter issues with the SB-era set. 

They tried to fix that with the current set and basically nailed it minus the number font, but that's the least of that sets problems. 

TBH, given what I think were going to see from the Falcons, the comparisons between the two could be non-existant. 

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

48 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

And teal is a good fit for "Jaguars" or "Sharks"? Orange is a good fit for "Dolphins"? Blue is a good color for "Lions" or "Maple Leafs"? Team colors don't have to necessarily "fit" the name perfectly. Hell, let's use a different Florida team as a good example of why forcing colors to "fit the team name" isn't always a good idea.

spacer.png

The Panthers are a good example of this; what's necessarily "Panthers"-y about bright red, navy blue, gold, white and yellow put together? Not much, but the colors fit the location; aside from navy, all of them are bright, vibrant colors. They wouldn't look out of place, say, set against a Floridian sunset on the beach;

spacer.png

Now imagine that same jersey in a color scheme that's closer to that of an actual Florida panther, so fitting the team name;

spacer.png

...and suddenly that jersey doesn't look nearly as appealing as it did before. I mean, what's visually eye-catching about tan, white and black? Sure, it's the accurate colors for a Florida panther, but it's also horribly boring from an aesthetic standpoint. There's basically no real "pop" color there, so going with a unique color scheme makes a whole lot of sense.

This is why I don't like the rebranded colors for the Panthers; it loses that Floridian feel in favor of...I guess looking a little "tougher"? It's silly.

The Bucs brand has been the same since the team's inception; it's been red, orange and white. Later on they added pewter, but those three colors remained core parts of the Buccaneers color scheme and branding. Abandoning orange is basically abandoning a core part of the team's visual identity since they were founded. And I don't think that's a good thing.

You need only look at their NHL brothers in Amalie Arena to see why abandoning a unique color scheme to you is a terribleno goodvery bad idea.

I agree with you that the lighting should add black back, because it too, goes with what I said. Black, like that dark thunderstorm clouds, looks great with the blue, which is like the rain, or just feels right.

You're right in what you say, to a point. Colors aren't descriptive of the mascot. By your logic none of the Bucs colors would work because pirates wear a bunch of colors. But colors do give the feeling of a team. A theif-y, gritty, buccaneer brand needs a color palette that represents that. It's hard to capture this feeling with most animal names however, Lions, (Florida) Panthers, Eagles work with a lot more colors than things such as Lightning, Buccaneers, and, in case you want to bring in the date they were founded let's say Astros and Dolphins. Those all have colors that represent the team name. There are some like the Maple Leafs that just defy this and forced their colors to work. 

Here's an experiment; take the Lions Panthers and Eagles colors and try them out on the Lightning, Bucs, Astros, and Dolphins brands and see how each of them fit, they don't fit. A green and silver pirate brand doesn't fit the Tampa Bay buccaneers, it doesn't fit the Lighting Astros or Dolphins either. Neither does a Red Gold and Navy brand or a Blue and silver brand. (except for the Dolphins, which works because Dolphins are silver and swim in a blue sea)  Try the other way around. A Red and Pewter brand could work for all of them, so could a Teal and Orange, or a Navy and Orange, or a Blue and Black. Because the names Eagles, Panthers, and Lions are a lot more basic and don't give off that distinctive imagery and feeling that Buccaneers, Lightning, Dolphins and Astros do.

Red and Orange is a amazing color combination but you have to admit it works much less for a Buccaneer name than Red and Pewter. 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

21 minutes ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

Red and Orange is a amazing color combination but you have to admit it works much less for a Buccaneer name than Red and Pewter. 

I mean, let's go back to the name thing; real buccaneers, like the famous Sir Henry Morgan, were not necessarily all that darkly-dressed;

spacer.png

So for a team named the Buccaneers doesn't have to be dark in coloration; and the common thought when you hear the word "Buccaneer" isn't "dark", it's "Errol Flynn action movie" (or, if you're younger, probably Muppet Treasure Island). I'd argue a brighter, more flamboyant color scheme works just as well for a name like "Buccaneers" as a darker one.

33 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

I mean, let's go back to the name thing; real buccaneers, like the famous Sir Henry Morgan, were not necessarily all that darkly-dressed;

spacer.png

So for a team named the Buccaneers doesn't have to be dark in coloration; and the common thought when you hear the word "Buccaneer" isn't "dark", it's "Errol Flynn action movie" (or, if you're younger, probably Muppet Treasure Island). I'd argue a brighter, more flamboyant color scheme works just as well for a name like "Buccaneers" as a darker one.

I wasn't necessarily referring to clothing when I said that, just the acts they committed, the thievery, pirating, mercenary-ship, are dark and wrong, add some of their clothing being dark in modern renditions, the ships and sails are dark, the cannonballs, it all feels and gives off dark imagery, I don't picture a sunny bright beach when I think of pirates and buccaneers, I think of theives, killings, bombings, sinking ships, all that doesn't scream red and orange more it does pewter and red. I think a lot of people would agree

3YCQJRO.png

1 hour ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

A theif-y, gritty, buccaneer brand needs a color palette that represents that.

The problem is that there are two pirate teams in the NFL, and the Raiders are the longer tenured one. And they've got the the whole "dark, gritty, black flagged thieves" look down. The Bucs, as the newer team, went in the direction they went with the creamsicles to avoid stepping on the Raiders' toes. So they embraced the swashbuckling buccaneer look.

Regardless, we're getting off track. The Bucs have, since day one, worn orange. Regardless of whether it's "appropriate" or not, they've been wearing it in some form for over forty years. You may have never noticed the orange in the Super Bowl sets, but a lot of people did. And I would wager a lot of people liked the Super Bowl set because of the pop the orange provided, and helped elevate that look above most late 90s "dark for the sake of dark" rebrands in their minds.

As a kid growing up in Ontario? The Bucs weren't really on my radar. I didn't even know they had orange outlines until I came here, but once someone pointed it out? I fell in love with the idea. It was such a well-done nod to the previous identity. So now, years later as a fan (a new one, granted)? I'd like to see the orange stick around in a significant way. I don't think they need an orange alternate or anything (save for the rumoured throwbacks) but that orange striping/number outline was just right. Something will seem "missing" without it.

1 hour ago, Ridleylash said:

spacer.png

What the hell is going on with his legs?

bSLCtu2.png

4 hours ago, Haz_Matt said:

It's Tampa, not Texas...wrong orange. Also, lose the helmet stripes

I played with it on Madden, simply combining creamsicle jerseys with the SB pewter helmet/pants.  It would be a perfectly good alternate.

How could actual pirates operate in ridiculous getups like that?  Wouldn't it limit mobility and be extremely heavy if got wet?  I get that they didn't have a 'vapor untouchable' (barf) pirate uniform, but that just seems incredibly impractical.  "Oh we're going to raid this incoming ship, but first let me tie my oversized bow tie and make sure my frilly size-3 boots are on right."

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

41 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Not if you're counting likes on this thread.

It might not be wise to extrapolate the popular opinion based on 'likes' that people get on their posts.  I could provide some examples as to why if necessary.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

12 hours ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

Maybe it's an age thing, for my whole life, my perception of the Bucs have been red and pewter, with black third and hints of orange, i knew they were a red and orange team before, but i still saw them as red first, orange second, and i feel the role orange had in the identity has diminished in every update, it seemed more forced in the last set than anything else. Can't speak for y'all but when the Tampa Bay Buccaneers come to mind, orange feels as, if not less, important as black in the identity. I don't see the hullabaloo with removing orange besides the fact that they've completely moved on from it.

To me the Red Pewter and Black are the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and frankly i like that better than Orange and Red.

It easily could be the case, because some of my fondest memories because of age, trips seeing big time NFL stars while the Bucs were in Creamsicle and Red ( before Jaguars) because they were unique and so many couldn't stand the uniforms at that time, mostly disappointment was tied to them. 

I can say with absolute certainty orange was a huge part of the Bucs identity when going to Sombrero. That being said like everyone I loved when they made red the primary ( which at the time was long overdue IMO) It had been a rumor but when pair with pewter and new logo, it was beautiful and was a nice progression from the previous set. I was happy they went back to the original colors this last go around and utilized more creamsicle.

Creamsicle /orange has and will always be Tampa, just like Pewter.  So yeah it may have to do with my age being in my mid/late 30's but I still think of them as Creamsicle, Red and Pewter even if even the first is about out the door.            

#DTWD #GoJaguars

Archived