United Baseball Association - 3/3 Memphis Posted

Megildur

• 1 month later...

*nearly two months later*

Long story short, school has been kicking my behind and life has just been crazy, but I've been working on the UBA and Ferris Wheel when I can. 

Finally, up next: San Francisco Miners

yYqPVEx.png

The San Francisco Miners entered the UBA in 1984, quickly winning their first championship in 1989 and acquiring the best pitcher in UBA history, SP DeAndre Robinson. However, despite having Robinson’s multi-award winning arm at the forefront of the San Francisco rotation (and all pitching stat categories) from 1986 to 1997, the 1989 championship is the only title to show for it. The Miners have only made the playoffs four times since, most recently in 2013. However, with a second place finish in 2019 with 83 wins and a young homegrown roster, the Miners are well-equipped to chase their second title soon.

2018 Continental League MVP 1B Gustavo Ramirez is just 24-years-old, but he leads the offense and has easily taken over as the face of the franchise. Ramirez bats third and is followed by 27-year-old CF Robby Salazar, who lingered on the free agent market for a while over the past offseason before signing a one-year deal with the Miners to reestablish his value. With a monster season in which he led the CL in WAR, Salazar established himself once more as a top player in the league after years of injuries and should be handsomely rewarded this offseason. So too will 29-year-old LF Tetsukazu Aihara, the CL’s batting title winner for 2019, and 32-year-old SP Pat Cox, the ace of the rotation. Despite those losses, the future is bright, as San Francisco has six Top 100 Prospects, including 18th ranked SP Troy Pritchard, who established himself as a future star with a solid age-23 debut season in 2019.

4Gz2etM.png

The Miners played around with a yellow and black color scheme upon joining the league in the 1980’s, but quickly adopted a metallic gold and black look in the 1990’s. The one cap features the primary logo of interlocking city initials, a staple since 1984, while the secondary logo seeks to tie two pickaxes into the identity. The Miners were named for the city’s history in relation to the California Gold Rush, hence the emphasis on gold in the identity. The team of DeAndre Robinson has stuck with that look since the 1990’s, adding two alternate uniforms in recent years that have attempted to diversify the look a bit. The unique black alt with pinstripes is worn on select Friday night home games, while the second black alt is worn during roughly a third of San Francisco’s away games.

KCf8mRJ.png

fnRZpQE.png

u0nq1ci.png

2oe8xO3.png

Thanks for viewing! I've been experimenting with some rough jersey swaps for fun, so I included those here, even if they're not perfect (anyone want to buy me Photoshop??). The secondary logo is based off an old Milwaukee Brewers logo, which I was originally using as a framework for my MLB Ferris Wheel Brewers concept, but decided to use here instead. The black and gold pinstriped uni is based off one of Vanderbilt's jerseys. The Miners may get a similarly inspired gold alt in future updates as well, if I decide I want to add another jersey to their rotation.

So, what are your thoughts?

• Like 6

5 hours ago, teeray01 said:

Looks good.  Pretty similar to Philadelphia.  I like the colors and the crossed bats.  I noticed there are no FL West concepts yet.  Anything coming from this division?

Thanks! I hear you on the similarity to Philadelphia -- there will be an update to Philly to differentiate the teams a bit more -- though I would say much of the similarity just stems from both teams using pinstripes. As for the FL West, there will be a team, I knowingly skipped that division. I'm deciding on the color scheme for Portland still, so I'll share the two color schemes I'm thinking of when I have some updates for Philadelphia and Jacksonville to share.

• Like 1

Well I haven’t paid attention to this thread. But I like it. Good work.

• Like 1

spacer.pngspacer.png

Im an isles,rangers,devils,Sabres,Yankees,Mets,Braves,hawks,knicks,nets,bills,giants,falcons,and jets fan. So?

• 2 months later...
On 3/7/2021 at 1:16 AM, Megildur said:

*nearly two months later*

Long story short, school has been kicking my behind and life has just been crazy, but I've been working on the UBA and Ferris Wheel when I can. 

Finally, up next: San Francisco Miners

yYqPVEx.png

The San Francisco Miners entered the UBA in 1984, quickly winning their first championship in 1989 and acquiring the best pitcher in UBA history, SP DeAndre Robinson. However, despite having Robinson’s multi-award winning arm at the forefront of the San Francisco rotation (and all pitching stat categories) from 1986 to 1997, the 1989 championship is the only title to show for it. The Miners have only made the playoffs four times since, most recently in 2013. However, with a second place finish in 2019 with 83 wins and a young homegrown roster, the Miners are well-equipped to chase their second title soon.

2018 Continental League MVP 1B Gustavo Ramirez is just 24-years-old, but he leads the offense and has easily taken over as the face of the franchise. Ramirez bats third and is followed by 27-year-old CF Robby Salazar, who lingered on the free agent market for a while over the past offseason before signing a one-year deal with the Miners to reestablish his value. With a monster season in which he led the CL in WAR, Salazar established himself once more as a top player in the league after years of injuries and should be handsomely rewarded this offseason. So too will 29-year-old LF Tetsukazu Aihara, the CL’s batting title winner for 2019, and 32-year-old SP Pat Cox, the ace of the rotation. Despite those losses, the future is bright, as San Francisco has six Top 100 Prospects, including 18th ranked SP Troy Pritchard, who established himself as a future star with a solid age-23 debut season in 2019.

4Gz2etM.png

The Miners played around with a yellow and black color scheme upon joining the league in the 1980’s, but quickly adopted a metallic gold and black look in the 1990’s. The one cap features the primary logo of interlocking city initials, a staple since 1984, while the secondary logo seeks to tie two pickaxes into the identity. The Miners were named for the city’s history in relation to the California Gold Rush, hence the emphasis on gold in the identity. The team of DeAndre Robinson has stuck with that look since the 1990’s, adding two alternate uniforms in recent years that have attempted to diversify the look a bit. The unique black alt with pinstripes is worn on select Friday night home games, while the second black alt is worn during roughly a third of San Francisco’s away games.

KCf8mRJ.png

fnRZpQE.png

u0nq1ci.png

2oe8xO3.png

Thanks for viewing! I've been experimenting with some rough jersey swaps for fun, so I included those here, even if they're not perfect (anyone want to buy me Photoshop??). The secondary logo is based off an old Milwaukee Brewers logo, which I was originally using as a framework for my MLB Ferris Wheel Brewers concept, but decided to use here instead. The black and gold pinstriped uni is based off one of Vanderbilt's jerseys. The Miners may get a similarly inspired gold alt in future updates as well, if I decide I want to add another jersey to their rotation.

So, what are your thoughts?

As a Bay Area baseball fan, I might be a little biased, but this is a strong set. I like the colors and team identity. I REALLY like the secondary logo with the pickaxes. The Vanderbilt style alt is my least favorite, but the others are strong. 

One thought - there's something about the interlocking SF logo that feels slightly off. Maybe it's because I'm so used to the Giants logo, but with the S lower in the lockup it feels like that initial should come second in the city name. Not a major thing, but I couldn't put my finger on what I was noticing. Anyways, great set overall. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2021 at 5:24 PM, teeray01 said:

To be continued?  Hopefully so.  I would love to see it finish.

On 8/5/2021 at 12:58 PM, GoCubsGo said:

Yeah, it is my favirote concept series!

I appreciate the love, y'all. My hope is certainly to continue this down the road. I have a head full of ideas and a 💩 ton worth of sketches for the UBA. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to commit to it right now, so I guess the project is on hiatus for now. I'll be back at some point though and thanks for checking in!

• Megildur changed the title to United Baseball Association - 8/32 Posted, Currently Paused
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey y'all, I'm back from disappearing from this thread for a bit, even if it's not necessarily for a full concept.

Here's a proposed home jersey for one of UBA's newest clubs, the Las Vegas Scorpions. The general design idea behind this one is that the Scorpions are the relocated and renamed franchise formerly residing in Calgary. Calgary has had an NHL team for some number of decades, so early on in my UBA playthrough on OOTP, I liked the idea of sticking a team there. I always knew that I would move them to Las Vegas at a later point, somewhat like a 2020's version of the Expos moving to Washington DC mashed up with the ongoing talks of the Athletics getting moved to Vegas. 

So, the concept is meant to be a kind of present-day MLB design. I swear if you look hard enough, I had influences from the current Miami Marlins' and OG Arizona D-Backs' looks. I'll explain more at a later point when I post the full concept.

spacer.png

Anyways, here's the idea. My main question, before I finish up the rest of the look, is does the circled number work? It's supposed to be something unique, because c'mon a 2020's-based Las Vegas baseball concept has to have something new, and it's a subtle reference to the encircled WELCOME lettering in the famous Welcome to Las Vegas sign. Maybe this has been done for a minor league team before or something else, but in my searching I haven't found it, so I hope it's new.  

NOTE: I snagged the template off this wonderful lil thread. And, my lil logo for the team looks a bit like a deformed lobster right now, so I have to fix that, but I wanted to share that something is in the works, lol.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• Megildur changed the title to United Baseball Association - 8.5/32, Las Vegas v. 1

I like the circle number idea, but maybe you could try separate circles for each digit...? And that logo is already doing well! The scorpion looks great and its composition with the LV is really nice; I'm excited to see it on a cap! Tbh my issue with it is more that the L is italicized but the V isn't.

In terms of the wordmark, the diagonal is solid, but assuming you don't go with separate digit numbers, an arch might flow better with the circle. I would also say that this concept feels really red heavy to go with such a solid black circle outline; you might switch to black numbers to even things out (my preference since you could recreate the monogram styling) or use an outlined circle.

Also poor Calgary; kinda sad to see the '90s/'00s thing of Canadian teams leaving extend to fictional concept worlds even if it's realistic :( 

Also, since I haven't commented since then, the latest Cascades updates look good (bar that low-contrast BFBS '90s alt, that cap S feels stretched really wide, and kinda awkwardly integrated with the Space Needle in the same way the old Stanford logo was with its tree)

I love the latest take on the Jacksonville trident, and the inline script is really pretty!

The Penns also look good! Maybe too many outlines on the home and alt numbers; I don't think the white outlines are necessary on the alt since the logo looks so gorgeous on pinstripes with just the blue outline at home. Also, I imagine it's just meant to be an old-timey quirk, but I'm curious why you put the number both so low compared to the logo and on the opposite side? Is that a thing?

Finally, I really like that Miners secondary logo with the pickaxes. The monogram reads a bit more as "FS" than "SF" to me; I guess my suggestion would be extending the bottom of the F below the S? Also, not crazy about the white outlines on the away alt, especially in comparison to the beautiful, nearly whiteless home alt :P

Anyways, sorry to nitpick; glad the series is back!

• Like 1

big fan of Vegas' color scheme and that wordmark, but the circled number kind of looks like an afterthought and I think the jersey would be better off without it.

also, that is really goddamn weird because in my own fictional baseball league, I had a Calgary expansion team that ended up moving to Vegas too.

• Like 1

53Ocz8U.png

It has been a while, has it not? I like the new fonts for Vegas, and as a LV Native, see the resemblance. My only complaint is the circle numbers, as it seems random and quite honestly the only sense I can make out of it is the fore mentioned Welcome To LV sign. Other than that, nice work and it is great to have you back!

• Like 1