United Baseball Association - 3/3 Memphis Posted

Megildur

I'm back! Life has been pretty busy for the past two plus weeks, but here's to hoping I can find some more time for this now. Thanks for all the words of encouragement, y'all! I'm glad the yellow-heavy look got a good reception.

On 6/25/2020 at 9:47 AM, Krz said:

What would the D logo look like without the point on the inside, just the outside.

Hmm, I honestly prefer it with the point inside, it makes a subtle "b" within the letter that I like. It does look cleaner without the inner point though. Here it is on the cap:

rH1nNdx.png

On 6/24/2020 at 10:25 PM, NDFreek said:

I think the roundel is fine. Maybe add some more color to it? Can we see the full sized original bison to compare it to the updated version?

Here's my original bison. I was going with a bit of a Durham Bulls inspired main logo at first, but then I felt that it was too Durham Bulls-esq, which is why I ended up scrapping the bison-through-the-d logo. My main changes between the two bison were just smoothing out some lines and making the width more consistent throughout. And I messed around with the horn and eye too.

5aheXpa.png

On 6/26/2020 at 8:08 AM, mbannon92 said:

I agree with NDFreek on the roundel - maybe try navy with yellow text instead of the white with navy text. 

I have two main ideas I pursued with the roundel - adding navy or adding red. I then messed around with adding color to the lettering too, while trying to maintain the yellow-red-navy color order I used for the jersey word marks. V1 is my previously posted logo, for reference. I added a white outline to the bison to separate it from the seams of the baseball too. I thought about changing the main color of the bison, but the prevalence of yellow is what separates this Denver concept from others, so it's staying the same. I think the navy-heavy roundel is more consistent with the jerseys than the red-heavy roundel.

18O8pwV.png

Which one is your favorite? I think I'm leaning towards A2 or B3, but I'm not sure. B1 reminds me of some restaurant logo, but I can't remember which.

• Like 1

I love all of these!  My only question is this: if Denver started playing in ‘59, don’t you think “Buffaloes” would’ve gone over better?  I don’t think there were any teams that didn’t end with an “S”, especially back then.  Other than that, these concepts are great, and it’s a definite follow!!

• Like 1

spacer.png

On 7/14/2020 at 7:52 PM, kb105 said:

To get that Durham bulls feel, how about having the Buffalo emerge through the roundel.

While my original intent was for that Durham look, I wanted to set it apart from that, which is why I ended up with a roundel instead. I messed around with increasing the size of the bison compared to the rest of the roundel, but it got too crowded for my taste. 

22 hours ago, Yee Yee Go 'Stros! said:

I love all of these!  My only question is this: if Denver started playing in ‘59, don’t you think “Buffaloes” would’ve gone over better?  I don’t think there were any teams that didn’t end with an “S”, especially back then.  Other than that, these concepts are great, and it’s a definite follow!!

Hmm, you've got me there. I personally prefer Bison over Buffaloes, and I think Buffaloes is a bit clunkier of a word. Would you accept my rational if I just say that Denver's first owner was a little eccentric for the times and wanted to be unique?

22 hours ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

I personally think A3 is the best option. 

17 hours ago, teeray01 said:

I like A1.  Well done!  Looking forward to the next concept.

17 hours ago, mbannon92 said:

My favorite option for the roundel is A2, but any of the A options would be a big improvement!

11 hours ago, NDFreek said:

I think A2 is the definite winner here, but I do like B1 (it reminds me more of Bayern Munich than a restaurant).

I think leaving the Bison yellow is the right choice. It highlights all three colors of the identity soundly.

Good work

Bayern Munich is a pretty good match, I gotta agree there. I did some googling and realized that perhaps the restaurant I was reminded of by B1 was Legal Sea Foods. Funny side note about Legal Sea Foods... I've always found it a bit amusing that they have a restaurant right across from the Boston Aquarium. Guaranteed fresh, I guess?

Anyways, side note aside, I took all your input and... did something else. I rotated the bison a little bit clockwise, took the white lettering from A1 and added a bit more spacing into that, and lastly added more red and yellow into the roundel via some more outlines. I updated the original Denver post with the change as well. Introducing the new and improved Denver Bison:

i6FjnFK.png

I'm pretty happy with this, but what do y'all think?

NEXT UP: We go northwest to the Emerald City and enjoy the view (on sunny days) of Mount Rainier. Also, did I unconsciously make the team Starbucks green? We'll see...

• Like 6

It appears as if the Denver update has been well-received, so we'll move on to the Seattle Cascades. Here, set the mood with this song by The Cascades, who were actually from San Diego, according to Spotify. The song is about rain, which Seattle gets a lot of...

Intro (updated 12/20/20):

EedI7L3.png

Since the expansions and realignments of the late 1990’s, California has been the major player out of the Continental League’s West Division. With the past two division titles though, Seattle has emerged as a force to be reckoned with in the division, and the team continues to lead the division with a 19-15 record so far this season. The lone title in Seattle’s history, and their first postseason appearance, came in 2004, as the Cascades beat Atlanta in five games to hoist the Maynard Trophy. Yet, the rest of the Cascades’ history has been bleak, as the club has only managed 11 seasons at .500 or above in their 47 seasons of play.

Despite the lackluster history of the Seattle ballclub, the Cascades are poised to contend for years to come with the #1 pitching staff in the Continental League, which features dominant hurlers throughout the pitching staff, and two top-60 pitching prospects waiting in Triple-A. Lefty SP Trevor Cabrera is the ace, and rightfully so, since he finished last season 2nd in CL Pitcher of the Year voting with his 2.30 ERA and 206 K’s. The 22-year-old signed a team-friendly deal with Seattle this past offseason, buying out his arbitration years and keeping the fan-favorite in a Cascades uniform affordably for years to come. Homegrown SP's 26-year-old Cody Hester and 22-year-old Jay Johnson are slated to anchor the rotation alongside Cabrera for much of that duration, while 31-year-old SP Jonathan Flores represents the lone veteran in the rotation and boasts the only All-Star nod of the staff (for now). 3B Ryan Merritt, at just age 24, is another young star and currently ranks as the UBA’s #4 position player league-wide. Acquired from Cleveland in the 2017-18 offseason for young SP prospect Willie Lovera and others, Merritt established himself as a star last season with 29 HR, 99 RBI, and a .319 average in his first full season as a regular. RF Octavio Molina was signed that same offseason to a 6-year, $102 million deal after establishing himself as an 2x All-Star in Toronto, and he anchors the lineup in the cleanup spot, right behind Merritt at #3.

The Cascades were named for Seattle’s proximity to the Cascade Range, which lie east of the city and boast the beautiful Mt. Rainier, which is visible on sunny days from Puget Sound. The cursive Cascades script has long been part of Seattle’s identity, as well as their rich shade of green and the mountaintop details on their logos. Urban legend claims that the Seattle-based Starbucks chain loved the Cascades color scheme so much that they copied it for themselves. As for the cap, the Cascades boast simple yet classic green cap with the curled S in white. The bright green alternate, worn in about 30% of Seattle’s home games, was introduced in the early 2010s, after the club scrapped their black alt in the mid-2000’s. The second alternate, a fan favorite, is actually worn more often than the away grays, if just slightly, though it is only worn when the club is on the road. (12/20/20: The fifth uniform is a throwback to an alternate worn by Seattle from 1997-2011, during which the Cascades won their first and only title in 2004. Seattle sported a simple, yet rather garish logo of a block S wrapped around the city's iconic Space Needle. Fans, and a couple well-known players on the team, lobbied ownership to bring back the fan-favorite uniform, and now the team sports it on select Friday night home games throughout the season).

Home (updated 12/20/20):

4aqP3yc.png

Away (updated 12/20/20):

ZO90i0E.png

Alternate 1 (updated 12/20/20):

i4FcOsY.png

Alternate 2 (updated 12/20/20):

rvgsZra.png

1997-2011 Throwback (added 12/20/20):

4JxbMxf.png

(12/20/20: The throwback is inspired by all the recent talk I've seen on social media about getting the Mets to bring back their black alternates from 1998-2012. I also took inspiration from these rather terrible Blue Jays years).

So there ya go! Team #4 is posted, so by my measure, just seven more groups of four to go. Welp. If it takes a month for me to post four teams, then that pace would have me done sometime in early 2021. Hmm, hopefully I can speed up before then. (12/20/20: Perhaps that was a bit too optimistic...)

Like always, let me know what you think and I hope y'all like Seattle!

SPOILER from 12/20/20: Includes the original team intro, home and first alternate sets, and the version 2 away and second alternate sets. I finished updating the primary logo, so the new graphics above include the new primary, which also replaced the old S in a diamond logo on the sleeves. These changes are detailed here

Spoiler

v1 of intro, originally posted 7/18

sYgtmWa.png

v1 of home, originally posted 7/18

TRYWGyw.png

v1 of first alternate, originally posted 7/18

uxGZlih.png

v2 of away, originally added 7/23

fP8HBXy.png

v2 of second alternate, originally added 7/23

tDsPjqV.png

SPOILER from 7/23/20: Includes v1 of the away uniform and alternate 2. I removed the white outlines from the away set, including the white from its place alongside the green striping. I changed the alternate's pants to match. Also, the removal of white from the away uniform included making the socks stripe-less.

Spoiler

v1 of away, originally posted 7/18

kNRAUFa.png

v1 of alternate 2, originally posted 7/18

M1Tt1rM.png

Edited by Megildur
12/20/20: Updated logo and updated jersey sheets to match. Added a throwback too.
  • Like 12

The Cascades look pretty nice (I'm used to saying that more literally 😝

I think the mountains on the baseball diamond logo feel really vertically stretched out, so I'd shorten those a bit and maybe consider adding some snowcaps. 

The jerseys are solid but I'd ditch the white outlines on the away.

While your shades of green are fine as-is, I'd be interested in seeing that mint green version you mentioned.

I'm not sold on the yellow-heavy text on the white jersey, but Denver's alternates are gorgeous. I love that red-brimmed cap. I'd swap the text fill & stroke on the red jersey, though. I think you had the roundel right the first time, personally, but the partial logo without the text is best.

Also, despite the colors that feel more Colorado or Philly, your NY design is quite nice, especially that monogram.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2020 at 1:15 PM, mbannon92 said:

Love those scripts and cap logo, as well as the simple green and white color scheme (other than the Seattle-required florescent green alt).

On 7/20/2020 at 11:33 PM, generalshepherd141 said:

I love the double green, especially for a Seattle team!!! Don't change a thing imo.

Thanks for the detailed comments, mbannon92 and generalshepherd141! I'm a big fan of the script and the color scheme as well.

On 7/21/2020 at 2:32 PM, vtgco said:

The Cascades look pretty nice (I'm used to saying that more literally 😝

I think the mountains on the baseball diamond logo feel really vertically stretched out, so I'd shorten those a bit and maybe consider adding some snowcaps. 

The jerseys are solid but I'd ditch the white outlines on the away.

While your shades of green are fine as-is, I'd be interested in seeing that mint green version you mentioned.

I'm not sold on the yellow-heavy text on the white jersey, but Denver's alternates are gorgeous. I love that red-brimmed cap. I'd swap the text fill & stroke on the red jersey, though. I think you had the roundel right the first time, personally, but the partial logo without the text is best.

Also, despite the colors that feel more Colorado or Philly, your NY design is quite nice, especially that monogram.

I visited Seattle once and got lucky to get sunny weather. The view of the Olympic Mountains over Puget Sound (if I've got my geography right) were amazing, but Mt. Rainier in the distance was even prettier and it stuck with me since. I'm absolutely jealous that you get to see the Cascades more often than I do!

I went back and implemented two of your suggestions -- no white on the Seattle away (and as a part of that, no white on the away pants), and yellow text on the red Denver alt -- and updated each teams' original posts. I'm hoping I read the "text fill & stroke" part correctly, since I don't know much graphic design lingo (I just click around on Affinity Designer until I like what I've created) 😬. I'm not completely sold on the yellow-heavy text on white either, but I like that it feels unique to me. I was hoping the double outline around the yellow would separate it enough from the white, which I think it did fairly okay. I chose the simple maroon for New York because maroon has always been attached to royalty, and naming a team the "Emperors," even though it was named for a building and the NY state nickname, felt appropriate. Oh, and it looked cool.

The initial idea behind developing a mint green alt was me trying to do a green equivalent of a powder blue jersey. I played around a bit with the mint green jersey that I'd mentioned, but scrapped all efforts after I couldn't find something that worked well. A yellow Supersonics inspired alt didn't work either, though I did try. I'll keep the neon green for now as I sorta love to hate it and it reminds me of the Seahawks. I'm going to continue work on the Seattle logos, since I agree that the secondary looks rather stretched. I'll mess around with some snowcaps too, to see if that gets anywhere.

Here are my initial sketches of the Cascades, if you're interested:

3sfpgps.jpg?1

Next up, we've got New Orleans. I'll leave you to figure out what the team name is going to be, but regardless the logos will relate more to New Orleans and less to the team name. I've got two color options so far, 1) purple and gold, or 2) Mardi Gras-inspired purple, green, and gold. I went with an interlocking NO instead of NOLA because the interlocking city abbreviation feels more traditionally MLB-esque than NOLA. Also, the NO is pretty clearly derived from this Notre Dame logo.

jeIk6CU.png

pyr6yYW.png

Which color scheme do you prefer?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Krz said:

I think #2 would look great if their where two outlines the first white and the second  gold.

Maybe something like this?

xOmhfhc.png

On the left, how what you suggested would appear on a purple background, so on a purple cap for instance. On the right, how it would appear on a white background, with the purple included as an additional outline.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Megildur said:

Maybe something like this?

xOmhfhc.png

On the left, how what you suggested would appear on a purple background, so on a purple cap for instance. On the right, how it would appear on a white background, with the purple included as an additional outline.

That's too many outlines, I agree with Punchy, purple and old gold is enough. 

• Like 1

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php