United Baseball Association - 3/3 Memphis Posted

Megildur

2 hours ago, Megildur said:

I went back and implemented two of your suggestions -- no white on the Seattle away (and as a part of that, no white on the away pants), and yellow text on the red Denver alt -- and updated each teams' original posts. I'm hoping I read the "text fill & stroke" part correctly, since I don't know much graphic design lingo (I just click around on Affinity Designer until I like what I've created) 😬. I'm not completely sold on the yellow-heavy text on white either, but I like that it feels unique to me. I was hoping the double outline around the yellow would separate it enough from the white, which I think it did fairly okay.

The update to Denver was exactly what I was thinking. Thanks for deciphering my ramblings; maybe I'm a bit too used to Inkscape. Now that all the jerseys have yellow text, it's grown on me a bit on the home & away. Certainly you're right to call it unique and now it feels more cohesive, too.

Your updates for Seattle's jerseys are subtle but nice. I don't mind the light green you have; it's not overly obnoxious like the Seahawks or muddy like my Sounders. Mostly it was just curiosity about the mint.

Look forward to seeing your logo edits if you're so inclined.

As for New Orleans, I'm more on board with just purple & gold; looks much cleaner that way IMO. The NO monogram is pretty classy.

• Like 2

Would love to see it all the way stripped down without outlines at all,  Just a purple or green background with a gold logo or monogram. The breaks in the logo and monogram could be the background color instead of an outline

• Like 3

Wow, I'm rather blown away by all the input! Thanks for all your help and hopefully y'all like the colors I picked...

Without further delay, I present to you the Minnesota Vikings Los Angeles Lakers LSU Tigers...New Orleans Crescents:

XW2UfVW.png

Out of the eleven UBA teams without a title in their franchise history, the 1972 expansion team from New Orleans has the most postseason appearances. The CL South Division is typically weak, but currently has three teams over .500, including New Orleans at 18-15. Sadly, this is only good for third place, as the Crescents are 2 games behind the surging Houston ball club. Yet, New Orleans has actually been pretty good since the turn of the millennium, with seven postseason appearances and only two finishes below second place since 2000. A couple of those second place finishes have been with a below .500 record though, evidence of the status of the South Division as weak. Despite their successes, the Crescents have failed to turn it into titles, losing to Washington in 2010 in their first and only finals appearance so far.

The Crescents have a top-notch offense, but a basement-dwelling pitching staff. The two main offensive threats are five-time All-Star 3B Will Langmore, the face of the franchise, and 27-year-old LF Eduardo Capirossi. The 33-year-old Langmore is the #3 third baseman in the league (behind Merritt of Seattle and Tony Aguilar of Chicago), and has been extremely well-rewarded for his role in New Orleans' recent successes, as he’s in just year two of a $30 million per year contract through his age 36 season. While he’s brought star-level talents to the team for nearly a decade now, Langmore also accounts for nearly a third of the Crescents’ payroll. Like Langmore, Capirossi is a homegrown, nationally popular star too. He’s currently on pace for a 49 HR season, which would easily eclipse his personal record of 39 HR two seasons ago and certainly increase his currently affordable $4.4 million deal from arbitration. The contract demands of Langmore and the lack of recent success at developing homegrown starters is why 31-year-old SP Dave Haegele is considered the #1 starter in New Orleans. Haegale pitched to just a 4.77 ERA last season across 28 starts and this season is not any better, as he holds a 6.39 ERA through 7 starts so far.

New Orleans features three logos, of which the roundel and interlocking NO get the most use. The roundel is solely a shoulder logo for the jerseys, while the NO is used for the caps. The fleur-de-lis, found in the city flag and the heraldry of the city’s namesake, the Duke of Orléans, features prominently in the roundel, partly surrounded by a crescent from the city's police badges. The actual team name, the Crescents, comes from the city’s nickname as “the Crescent City,” which originates from the city’s initial crescent-shaped geography along the Mississippi River. The orientation of the crescent in the roundel matches that geography. The fleur-de-lis was formerly used as a standalone logo, but has in recent years been relegated to just its placement in the roundel. The throwback recognizes the days where the fleur-de-lis had more importance though, as it adorns the cap of the throwback set from the Crescents' Continental League Pennant winning-season in 2010. That season was one of the last seasons in which the Crescents wore vests and utilized a more bronze-y gold. New Orleans wears the alternate at both home and away games, though not often. The yellow-billed cap is worn at home only, either with the home or alt uniforms. 

g0DIHqJ.png

PmJ8ptn.png

M0o07y7.png

sOrEMPT.png

As I mentioned before, the interlocking NO is directly inspired by this Notre Dame logo. As for the fleur-de-lis, it is my own sketch that I created after looking at various fleur-de-lis designs and making my own version. If the UBA were to exist in the same universe as the NFL and NBA, then New Orleans would have a cool little thing going with the Saints, Pelicans, and my Crescents all featuring different versions of the symbol. The recommendation of the athletic gold was a solid recommendation that I appreciate a lot, considering that I was hoping to save metallic gold for San Francisco eventually and I hadn't thought of athletic gold for New Orleans before. I had fun stealing the color scheme of LSU to really connect the Crescents to another Louisiana-based team too.

I've got some fun stuff in the works -- a metallic gold San Francisco team, a classic teal team from Florida, and a Mr. Met / Mr. Red homage -- as well as an update to the Seattle primary logo and shoulder logo too. Hope y'all are staying healthy and that you like New Orleans! C&C is appreciated as always.

Spoiler

Version 1 (posted on 7/24):

Original Description -

"New Orleans features two logos that receive almost equal attention across their jerseys and caps. The fleur-de-lis, found in the city flag and the heraldry of the city’s namesake, the Duke of Orléans, is the logo for the home cap. The interlocking city abbreviation adorns the front of the home uniform in a bold gold and purple color scheme. The actual team name, the Crescents, comes from the city’s nickname as “the Crescent City,” which originates from the city’s initial crescent-shaped geography along the Mississippi River. The Crescents are one of the few UBA teams to wear vests on a regular basis and to not have a single jersey with their nickname written across the front. There are three caps, of which the fleur-de-lis cap is solely worn at home, while either NO cap can be worn at home or away. New Orleans wears the alternate at both home and away games, often with the golden billed cap."

Intro -

x1e6g5E.png

Home -

o15oKhI.png

Away -

Nn7UqiU.png

Alt -

BcAWjc8.png

Schedule -

al030Zu.png

• Like 13

20 hours ago, Megildur said:

Wow, I'm rather blown away by all the input! Thanks for all your help and hopefully y'all like the colors I picked...

[snip] 

Love it, but 2 observations:

1. Did you try it with old gold? 

2. Really would like to see a tertiary logo/alt uniform with an actual crescent on it. 

• Like 1

I'm in agreement with the last two comments.  A roundel with a crescent logo, city and team name would make this concept complete!  The sets themselves are pretty darn good.  If '47 brand sold New Orleans Crescents hats, I would buy one!  They are exactly what I described in my earlier comment!  Well done again!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rjrrzube said:

Love it, but 2 observations:

1. Did you try it with old gold? 

2. Really would like to see a tertiary logo/alt uniform with an actual crescent on it. 

4 hours ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

The logo package seems a bit weak in comparison to your other teams. Maybe a roundel would help? Or a crescent logo like @rjrrzube said. 

Also what are the founding dates for all the teams? 

3 hours ago, teeray01 said:

I'm in agreement with the last two comments.  A roundel with a crescent logo, city and team name would make this concept complete!  The sets themselves are pretty darn good.  If '47 brand sold New Orleans Crescents hats, I would buy one!  They are exactly what I described in my earlier comment!  Well done again!

I made a little mistake by naming the team the Crescents, in that there are a LOT of New Orleans logos that use the shape. Oops. That's why I went with a relatively simple logo package before, but I see what y'all are saying about it being a bit bland. I appreciate having the input, especially since it's definitely pushing me to come up with better things. Keep the comments coming! On to the design...

With the suggestion of the roundel, I had two ideas:

1) Pursue the New Orleans water meter design, which has historical significance to the city and is a common jewelry piece sold there now. I ran into a problem right away though, as Crescent City FC has a logo based on the water meter that would be pretty hard to put my own spin on without ripping off the CCFC logo. So, on to the second option...

2) Use the crescent shape that makes the NOPD badge unique from others. This shape has been used before too, in one of the Pelicans' countless secondary logos.

However, I decided to play around with my second idea and make my own roundel with it. First off, I flipped the crescent so that it matches the orientation of the geographical crescent that the city gets its nickname for. I decided to do that, rather than rotate it into a C, because I also wanted to incorporate the fleur-de-lis into the roundel too. Plus, the crescent as a C with a fleur-de-lis in it is another New Orleans jewelry item apparently. So, no C-like crescent for me. I messed around a bit before with old gold, but the athletic gold fit more to my liking. I think the athletic gold pops out a bit more than the old gold, which I like. Here's the roundel, which looks a bit like a soccer crest, though I still like it. I included it in both color schemes for reference:

DrdatIu.png

XQTqiOg.png

I've got a pretty clear idea of what I'll do to create an alternate uniform, which I'll put together if y'all like the roundel as is, and as for the founding dates of all the teams... I'll leave you in suspense! However, here's what we've got for the teams posted so far:

New York - original UBA team from 1921

Indianapolis - founded in 1921 in Washington DC, moved to Indianapolis for the 1949 season

Denver - 1959 (yes, this is certainly a bit earlier than was probably realistically likely at the time. This link briefly discusses Denver as a relocation site for the Athletics in 1978. Denver has a rich minor league history since just after WWII, which is what prompted me to put the Bison in Denver so early)

Seattle - 1972

New Orleans - 1972

• Like 4

Love the crescent idea. Looking forward to its development. 

Understand why you went with athletic gold. Looks better than that old gold shade. But did you consider bronze-y gold, like the Saints' first set? 

• Like 1

I'd flip the colors between the crescent and roundel. You can keep all the text purple and the crescent should still stand out like intended. Otherwise I really like it and I think it's on the way to making a much better brand out of the Crescents

• Like 2

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

Really like what you’ve done here with New Orleans. The “NO” interlocking logo is fantastic. I still like the idea of incorporating some green in there, even in just a small dose. I just think it needs something to set it apart from LSU or local high school St. Augustine which is very well known in the state.

I’m also glad to see that you were able to come up with a design very different from my own New Orleans Crescents concept (used in fantasy baseball on here). Just goes to show how much different peoples’ interpretations of the same name can be. Again, nicely done.

• Like 1

gYH2mW9.png