United Baseball Association - 3/3 Memphis Posted

Megildur

I updated New Orleans. You'll notice a new roundel and a switched-up set of jerseys. The previous home jersey becomes the throwback and underwent a color change -- I wanted to incorporate a more bronze-y, murkier shade of gold into the set for a single jersey. I got rid of the fleur-de-lis alt and instead replaced it with a purple version of the new home jersey, which allows for more continuity between caps and the jerseys. I also played around with the roundel a bit, so that I'm much more comfortable with the color balance.

On 7/26/2020 at 4:24 PM, rjrrzube said:

Love the crescent idea. Looking forward to its development. 

Understand why you went with athletic gold. Looks better than that old gold shade. But did you consider bronze-y gold, like the Saints' first set? 

I messed around with the bronze-y shade a bit, and decided to make the throwback feature it. I still love the athletic gold more, but I think the bronze-y gold could fit into a 2000's and early 2010's set (ala the Nationals, Brewers, and Astros at different times during those years).

On 7/26/2020 at 5:56 PM, _DietDrPepper_ said:

I'd flip the colors between the crescent and roundel. You can keep all the text purple and the crescent should still stand out like intended. Otherwise I really like it and I think it's on the way to making a much better brand out of the Crescents

I tried something along the lines of that, but the abundance of gold didn't fit how I wanted. I instead went with a rather purple-heavy look that I hope fixes some of the color balance issues from before. Hopefully it looks a bit better now.

On 7/28/2020 at 12:45 AM, GeauxColonels said:

Really like what you’ve done here with New Orleans. The “NO” interlocking logo is fantastic. I still like the idea of incorporating some green in there, even in just a small dose. I just think it needs something to set it apart from LSU or local high school St. Augustine which is very well known in the state.

I’m also glad to see that you were able to come up with a design very different from my own New Orleans Crescents concept (used in fantasy baseball on here). Just goes to show how much different peoples’ interpretations of the same name can be. Again, nicely done.

Thanks! As for now, I'm going to refrain from using green, just because I can't figure out a way to incorporate it in a way I like currently. Once I finish more teams, perhaps I will revisit this and figure out a way to incorporate it. I'm glad you like the concept though! I couldn't find your original post for the fantasy baseball team, do you think you could drop a link here to look at?

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Megildur said:

Thanks! As for now, I'm going to refrain from using green, just because I can't figure out a way to incorporate it in a way I like currently. Once I finish more teams, perhaps I will revisit this and figure out a way to incorporate it. I'm glad you like the concept though! I couldn't find your original post for the fantasy baseball team, do you think you could drop a link here to look at?

I get it with the green...it’s difficult to mix that in with the purple. I found that to be a challenge with my New Orleans soccer concept but made it work (I think).

As for my fantasy baseball concept, it was buried deep in the American Association sub-forum since the concept is 3+ years old now.

• Like 1

gYH2mW9.png

Love the move away from the fleur-de-lis on the caps for the main set. That interlocking NO logo is unique to your concept and should be the primary focus. The new roundel is a huge improvement with the splash of color and the jersey package went from being one of the weaker ones so far to one of the strongest. I really dig the throwbacks, I’m getting strong “the team wore these from 2002-2008” vibes.

• Like 2

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2020 at 7:23 PM, _DietDrPepper_ said:

The update looks perfect! 

On 7/29/2020 at 7:53 PM, teeray01 said:

Much better!  Updated roundel looks great!  I think we are ready for the next team!

On 7/29/2020 at 6:54 PM, rjrrzube said:

I like it all, along with the new shade of old gold as an alt. I appreciate you responding to feedback! 

Good to know that the update went over well! Thank you all for your inputs, it certainly brings something to my own creative process and improves my work, which I appreciate.

On 7/30/2020 at 12:32 AM, NDFreek said:

Love the move away from the fleur-de-lis on the caps for the main set. That interlocking NO logo is unique to your concept and should be the primary focus. The new roundel is a huge improvement with the splash of color and the jersey package went from being one of the weaker ones so far to one of the strongest. I really dig the throwbacks, I’m getting strong “the team wore these from 2002-2008” vibes.

I'm glad that the throwback gets the right intention across. As for the updates, I certainly agree that it cleaned up the Crescents and I'm liking the result a lot more than before. Thanks for your kind words.

On 7/29/2020 at 6:57 PM, GeauxColonels said:

I get it with the green...it’s difficult to mix that in with the purple. I found that to be a challenge with my New Orleans soccer concept but made it work (I think).

As for my fantasy baseball concept, it was buried deep in the American Association sub-forum since the concept is 3+ years old now.

From what I've found via digging, unfortunately I can't access that part of the forum till I reach the 500 post threshold (or something like that). Dang content permissions 😪

I guess I'll have to wait until I get more posts, but perhaps by then I can go back and finagle with New Orleans more with some green.

I'll have the next team up within the hour...

I had an idea for a teal Florida team and went with it, so here's the 6th team from the UBA, the Jacksonville Tridents!

3oqKLff.png

It wasn’t until 2005 that 1995-expansionee Jacksonville had their first .500 season. Luckily, the wait for their first postseason appearance ended the following season, though that 92-win campaign ended quickly in the divisional round against San Diego. Jacksonville would return to the postseason in 2010, and then set a franchise record with 102 wins and another postseason appearance in 2013. However, in all three postseason appearances, the Tridents haven’t made it past the divisional round and have won only three postseason games total. Averaging 71 wins per season over the past three years, this year’s team is actually doing worse, as the Tridents sit at 19-36 (.345) in the first week of June 2019. Obviously that’s not good for anything better than the basement in the Federal League’s South Division. If it weren’t for Brooklyn somehow sucking even worse, Jacksonville would be the worst team in the UBA.

There’s really only one player of note on the Tridents’ roster and that’s defending FL Pitcher of the Year Award and 2014 FL Rookie of the Year SP Alex Trejos. At age 28, the lanky left-hander has been destroying opposing batters for the past year and a half, holding players to a .223 batting average and maintaining a sterling 2.39 ERA during that time. However, despite spending his entire career with the Tridents so far, extension talks have gone nowhere and he’s set to reach free agency this upcoming offseason. Without Trejos atop the rotation, 27-year-old SP Connor Flynn will most likely become the de facto ace. He’s not Trejos, but he gets the job done with his career 3.44 ERA and he’s signed affordably through his age-30 season. While Jacksonville’s pitching is solidly middle of the pack in the FL, their offense is dead last in runs scored, on-base percentage, hits, extra-base hits, and walks. There’s really no one of note in the Tridents’ lineup, but perhaps 26-year-old 2B Chris LaSusa can add some offense via his team-leading .265 AVG when he returns from the DL in 4 weeks.

Jacksonville sports a rather unconventional look and name for a professional baseball team. The Tridents name is a reference to Jacksonville's popular beaches, which includes Neptune Beach. The primary logo forgoes becoming a full roundel, instead featuring the team name loosely wrapped around the key figure, that of the Roman god of the sea Neptune, shown with his trident in hand. As an expansion team in the 90's, Jacksonville was bound to choose a non-traditional name, yet the detailed shadows of the primary logo are another unique feature as well. They may blur in small applications, but the Tridents insist upon bearing their unusual logo and they bear it with pride (even as they lose nearly every single game). The arched Tridents word mark has been a staple in Jacksonville's history since their inception, while the wavy stripe pattern has also adorned their sleeves for years as well. The alternate is worn often at home and once in a blue moon on the road.

WLpOx7U.png

dSPu6rQ.png

n5hwI1a.png

I feel like every league has to have a weird team from Florida. Or maybe that's just me. Anyways, I had some fun putting Jacksonville together, though perhaps the end result could be a little more cohesive. Eh, call it the curse of the Marlins, but I like the Tridents. The lack of cohesion is partly intentional even. It's a Florida team.

The main arched text is inspired by the early 2000's Pittsburgh jerseys, the Blue Jays' look from those same years, and the primary perhaps has some hints of this old Padres logo. The face of Neptune is heavily based off this statue, while the trident itself is based off Aquaman. While New Orleans had a lot of location-based symbols intertwined in the concept, Jacksonville does not. Instead, it's sort of a combination of things that inspired it, with very little actual Jacksonville things, but it's a concept that I rather enjoy and I hope y'all like it too. C+C is appreciated as always.

• Like 11
  • Love 1

On 7/17/2020 at 11:14 PM, Megildur said:

It appears as if the Denver update has been well-received, so we'll move on to the Seattle Cascades. Here, set the mood with this song by The Cascades, who were actually from San Diego, according to Spotify. The song is about rain, which Seattle gets a lot of...

sYgtmWa.png

Since the expansions and realignments of the late 1990’s, California has been the major player out of the Continental League’s West Division. With the past two division titles though, Seattle has emerged as a force to be reckoned with in the division, and the team continues to lead the division with a 19-15 record so far this season. The lone title in Seattle’s history, and their first postseason appearance, came in 2004, as the Cascades beat Atlanta in five games to hoist the Maynard Trophy. Yet, the rest of the Cascades’ history has been bleak, as the club has only managed 11 seasons at .500 or above in their 47 seasons of play.

Despite the lackluster history of the Seattle ballclub, the Cascades are poised to contend for years to come with the #1 pitching staff in the Continental League, which features dominant hurlers throughout the pitching staff, and two top-60 pitching prospects waiting in Triple-A. Lefty SP Trevor Cabrera is the ace, and rightfully so, since he finished last season 2nd in CL Pitcher of the Year voting with his 2.30 ERA and 206 K’s. The 22-year-old signed a team-friendly deal with Seattle this past offseason, buying out his arbitration years and keeping the fan-favorite in a Cascades uniform affordably for years to come. Homegrown SP's 26-year-old Cody Hester and 22-year-old Jay Johnson are slated to anchor the rotation alongside Cabrera for much of that duration, while 31-year-old SP Jonathan Flores represents the lone veteran in the rotation and boasts the only All-Star nod of the staff (for now). 3B Ryan Merritt, at just age 24, is another young star and currently ranks as the UBA’s #4 position player league-wide. Acquired from Cleveland in the 2017-18 offseason for young SP prospect Willie Lovera and others, Merritt established himself as a star last season with 29 HR, 99 RBI, and a .319 average in his first full season as a regular. RF Octavio Molina was signed that same offseason to a 6-year, $102 million deal after establishing himself as an 2x All-Star in Toronto, and he anchors the lineup in the cleanup spot, right behind Merritt at #3.

The Cascades were named for Seattle’s proximity to the Cascade Range, which lie east of the city and boast the beautiful Mt. Rainier, which is visible on sunny days from Puget Sound. The cursive Cascades script has long been part of Seattle’s identity, as well as their rich shade of green and the mountaintop details on their logos. Urban legend claims that the Seattle-based Starbucks chain loved the Cascades color scheme so much that they copied it for themselves. As for the caps, the Cascades boast three different caps, though their bright green alternate cap is rarely worn, even with the popular bright alternate jersey. The bright green alternate, worn in about 30% of Seattle’s home games, was introduced in the early 2010s, after the club scrapped their black alt in the mid-2000’s. The second alternate, a fan favorite, is actually worn more often than the away grays, if just slightly, though it is only worn when the club is on the road.

Home:

TRYWGyw.png

Away (v2):

fP8HBXy.png

Alternate 1:

uxGZlih.png

Alternate 2 (v2):

tDsPjqV.png

So there ya go! Team #4 is posted, so by my measure, just seven more groups of four to go. Welp. If it takes a month for me to post four teams, then that pace would have me done sometime in early 2021. Hmm, hopefully I can speed up before then.

As for the actual design, the bright green was not-too-bright on my computer, but somewhat an eyesore on my phone. I'm thinking of making it a mintier, less bright shade of green if y'all think it's too bright. As for the alternate caps, I'm not sure if I like them, but I wanted to do some sort of mountain-y cap design like the Rockies in recent years. I'm a little unsure about the little tail I added to the 'e' in Seattle too.

Like always, let me know what you think and I hope y'all like Seattle!

SPOILER: Includes v1 of the away uniform and alternate 2. I removed the white outlines from the away set, including the white from its place alongside the green striping. I changed the alternate's pants to match. Also, the removal of white from the away uniform included making the socks stripe-less.

Hide contents

v1 of away, originally posted 7/18

kNRAUFa.png

v1 of alternate 2, originally posted 7/18

M1Tt1rM.png

I really REALLY like this concept.

I think an interesting idea could be to use the lighter shade of green to create a 3D drop shadow effect (Like the LA Angels home uniform. But where they used gray, in this set it'd be light green, with the base uniform color being used as negative space). I think you could use that effect on the numbers as well. As a style it could easily transfer to all of the jersey's and it would look spectacular imo. A fully two-toned green uniform identity. Similar in spirit to the Milwaukee Bucks uniforms 86-93, except you'd be using the light green to create a sense of depth rather than using it solely as an outline.

• Like 1

I love the Jacksonville uniforms. The color scheme is cohesive and the font/sleeves are very modern but they work. I agree that Florida baseball kind of has that "out-there" vibe, and it works with the idea that they are a 90's expansion team.

Not a huge fan of the J cap logo, but it goes with the set so it works alright. For personal preference, it might work better if the outline was the navy color instead of white.

I really like the series so far and I'm looking forward to more!

• Like 1

I like Jacksonville’s uniforms but I can’t say I’m a fan of the primary logo. It seems almost too detailed to be a sports logo. Maybe play around with making a roundel with Neptune’s head like the old Ottawa Senators logo or make the trident the focal point of the imagery

• Like 2

spacer.png

I have to agree with NDFreek on this one.  The Primary logo needs to be simplified.  Would love to see a logo with the trident only.  Also,  The floating text looks out of balance

with Tridents floating on the upper right side and Jacksonville centered.  I know this is because you were working around the trident but it just looks off.  Overall though, I like everything else.  Good work!

• Like 2

On 8/9/2020 at 2:08 AM, ~Bear said:

I love the Jacksonville uniforms. The color scheme is cohesive and the font/sleeves are very modern but they work. I agree that Florida baseball kind of has that "out-there" vibe, and it works with the idea that they are a 90's expansion team.

Not a huge fan of the J cap logo, but it goes with the set so it works alright. For personal preference, it might work better if the outline was the navy color instead of white.

I really like the series so far and I'm looking forward to more!

13 hours ago, NDFreek said:

I like Jacksonville’s uniforms but I can’t say I’m a fan of the primary logo. It seems almost too detailed to be a sports logo. Maybe play around with making a roundel with Neptune’s head like the old Ottawa Senators logo or make the trident the focal point of the imagery

4 hours ago, teeray01 said:

I have to agree with NDFreek on this one.  The Primary logo needs to be simplified.  Would love to see a logo with the trident only.  Also,  The floating text looks out of balance

with Tridents floating on the upper right side and Jacksonville centered.  I know this is because you were working around the trident but it just looks off.  Overall though, I like everything else.  Good work!

I was sorta expecting to have this response to the primary logo, so I'll revisit it. As for a simple trident logo, I have a couple reservations about that. Yes, the team is named the Tridents, but to make a trident based logo that feels unique would be rather challenging. For example, a simple roundel with the prongs of the trident already exists in many forms when I googled "trident logo" at one point. That's a bit of why I went with a Neptune angle, to try to do something a bit out there and unique. I hear what y'all are saying though, so I'll hit the drawing board again and see what I can come up with. I appreciate the suggestion to look at the Ottawa Senators, and I'll work with the floating text to better situate it in the primary. As for the J, I feel you, ~Bear, it's not really anything special (and is basically a rip-off of Juventus, which I realized after I hit post on this concept the other day), but I think it gets the job done. I'll change the outline when I have an update ready and I think I need to mess around with the sleeve striping a little bit too. I'll get to all that soon, but in the meantime, thanks for all your comments, ~Bear, NDFreek, and teeray01.

10 hours ago, ItsSlothy said:

Have you tried putting any of your logos and uniforms into OOTP?

Haha, actually the funny thing is that there's a thread over on their mods site where someone is already doing that... they didn't ask me for permission though and have made a couple changes that I don't agree with. They are giving me credit though, so I appreciate that. Once I'm done with the designs here though, I plan to put together my own files for the game exactly as I've got here, but that'll be awhile (and maybe I'll figure out how to make a Quickstart by then?). It is rather fun playing through the game as I add logos and jerseys though.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2020 at 9:49 PM, vtgco said:

Look forward to seeing your logo edits if you're so inclined.

On 8/8/2020 at 3:12 AM, O.C.D said:

I really REALLY like this concept.

I think an interesting idea could be to use the lighter shade of green to create a 3D drop shadow effect (Like the LA Angels home uniform. But where they used gray, in this set it'd be light green, with the base uniform color being used as negative space). I think you could use that effect on the numbers as well. As a style it could easily transfer to all of the jersey's and it would look spectacular imo. A fully two-toned green uniform identity. Similar in spirit to the Milwaukee Bucks uniforms 86-93, except you'd be using the light green to create a sense of depth rather than using it solely as an outline.

I admit, I was a bit skeptical of this idea at first. I liked the simple monochrome green look, but I played around with your idea and it's growing on me. Before I revamp the rest of the set though, I wanted to see if this is what you're suggesting:

wy80xuV.png

I decided to switch the colors of the front number too, to add more contrast against the word mark. With the addition of the bright green to the word mark and number, I may also add it to the sleeve striping too if it looks good. Otherwise, I included an updated Seattle primary logo and a cap with the bright green drop shadow as well. With the inclusion of the bright green into the primary home jersey (and potentially the away and away alt too), I figured I'd add it to the logo. I struggled with figuring out how to fix the mountains and the stretched-out feeling of them in my Seattle concept, so I went with another direction for this one. I ended up looking up other mountain-related logos to get ideas and ended up basing the primary off the shape/set-up of this logo here. The mountain is based off the view of Mt. Rainier from Seattle. What do y'all think? Should I update the rest of the Cascades accordingly?

• Like 10

5 hours ago, Megildur said:

I admit, I was a bit skeptical of this idea at first. I liked the simple monochrome green look, but I played around with your idea and it's growing on me. Before I revamp the rest of the set though, I wanted to see if this is what you're suggesting:

wy80xuV.png

I decided to switch the colors of the front number too, to add more contrast against the word mark. With the addition of the bright green to the word mark and number, I may also add it to the sleeve striping too if it looks good. Otherwise, I included an updated Seattle primary logo and a cap with the bright green drop shadow as well. With the inclusion of the bright green into the primary home jersey (and potentially the away and away alt too), I figured I'd add it to the logo. I struggled with figuring out how to fix the mountains and the stretched-out feeling of them in my Seattle concept, so I went with another direction for this one. I ended up looking up other mountain-related logos to get ideas and ended up basing the primary off the shape/set-up of this logo here. The mountain is based off the view of Mt. Rainier from Seattle. What do y'all think? Should I update the rest of the Cascades accordingly?

I absolutely LOVE THIS! I think the addition of a light green stripe next to the dark green stripe would look beautiful (to give a sense of balance with the striping pattern of the uniform overall). I think what you've done with the logo and hat is phenomenal as well.

I really liked the mono look too (it reminded me of a green Yankees). What I LOVE about this version is that it fully utilizes a color scheme that is so unique and beautiful. I've always loved 3D drop shadow as a uniform design element because it gives the design a sense of depth that makes it stand out and looks beautiful when embroidered.

I think if an MLB team based it's identity on what you've done here it would be one of the top 5 best looking in the entire league

• Like 1

Those Jacksonville uniforms are wonderfully 90s, and I think it works for an expansion team from that era (See Miami, Tampa, Arizona). I agree with the others that the logo doesn't quite work though. The detailed, illustrated style with that font looks more 70s than 90s. I'd take a look at a lot of logos from 90s expansion teams across all sports to get an idea of the distinct style from that era.

I think your updated Seattle logo is a HUGE upgrade, and I like the look of the drop shadows and lime green. I loved the simple green and white as well though, so you could really go either way.

• Like 2

I like the update to the Cascades; the logo looks really great with Rainier! I'd suggest thinning out the lines of the baseball, and maybe add a few more trees.

The drop-shadow on the jersey was a nice touch. I imagine it could look nice without the white separation, though I suppose it might necessitate a slight change in the shades of green for contrast...

Either way, excellent update!

11 hours ago, Megildur said:

I was sorta expecting to have this response to the primary logo, so I'll revisit it. As for a simple trident logo, I have a couple reservations about that. Yes, the team is named the Tridents, but to make a trident based logo that feels unique would be rather challenging. For example, a simple roundel with the prongs of the trident already exists in many forms when I googled "trident logo" at one point. That's a bit of why I went with a Neptune angle, to try to do something a bit out there and unique. I hear what y'all are saying though, so I'll hit the drawing board again and see what I can come up with

I don't mind the detailed Neptune as a sleeve patch; I think there's precedent for teams to have a logo with that detail. I do feel this could use an additional trident-focused logo, though. However, with some edits to the trident, I think you could do some sort of J + trident monogram as the cap logo.

Also, I don't know how practical it is, but having an inline on the away "Jacksonville" script would be really cool.

Finally, I think the waves on the sleeves should be the same color design as the text, e.g. blue/teal/blue for home & away, blue/white/blue for the alt.

Good work!

• Like 2

I like the direction that you are taking with Seattle.  I gotta say,  I also like the monochrome Seattle concept as well.  As for Jacksonville,  I think you have enough good suggestions to work with.  Some mentioned were to simplify the primary logo while having a more detailed sleeve patch. I also like the suggestion of the trident being used along with the "J" on the cap.  Based on your work so far, I'm sure you will pull it off with something awesome.