United Baseball Association - 3/3 Memphis Posted

Megildur

Thanks for the encouragement, teeray. I'm glad you've enjoyed the series so far.

On 8/30/2020 at 8:28 PM, neo_prankster said:

Either he's taking a break or having writer's block. Please be patient.

As neo_prankster cautioned, please be patient. I do plan to work more on this series (and I am in my free time), and I want to finish it eventually. Unfortunately, life outside the concepts board is pretty busy right now, so I haven't had enough time to put into the concepts lately as I'd like. I'm a full-time (online) college student with a part-time job currently, so I've been figuring out how to balance that. I'll be back eventually though, and I've got a Jacksonville update in the works. Maybe by that time the Tridents will have dealt Trejos to a contender and I'll have some new players to highlight on the team!

• 4 weeks later...

After much delay, I have an update to Jacksonville. I know a couple suggestions were made to tie-in the J with a trident, but it felt too busy when I attempted that. Instead, I created a roundel with a trident in the center and then there's a standalone trident logo as a secondary logo. I also decided to scrap the teal/navy color scheme because it didn't feel as crisp as I wanted. In comes a slightly lighter navy and a nice light blue to complement it. Lastly, I scrapped the wave pattern on the sleeves because I wasn't a fan of how that was turning out. I have a fun idea to incorporate the Sea God logo at some point too, though not within the everyday look of the club (Turn Ahead The Clock jerseys anyone?).

Yn8ntNw.png

Lastly, I've been in a bit of designer's block lately, but I whipped up these to show the completed teams so far (Seattle is still being fine-tuned):

770TIZx.png

Uk7Lsc9.png

chebwUL.png

7D2KfwK.png

Happy viewing!

PS. For OOTP players, here's where someone has adapted some of my designs for play in the game. Have fun!

PPS. I totally forgot to include this, which shows more of those Jacksonville changes I was talking about. I'm currently working on a custom Jacksonville script for the away / alt2 jerseys and then I'll fill this in!

Yu41dqK.png

Edited by Megildur
added PPS
  • Like 14

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It's been awhile, but I'm back with some stuff to share, so I'll hop right to it.

UPDATES:

Rch9n1y.png

SEATTLE: First off, I went back and updated both Jacksonville and Seattle. Seattle was given a new primary logo, and I also scrapped the S in a diamond secondary logo. The original post has been updated accordingly, and I added a special throwback uniform too. While I thought more about the double-green idea taking over the whole look of the team, I decided instead to revisit my initial idea for the primary logo. I sought to avoid the stretched/condensed/warped look of the first primary by making the base of the logo a rotated square and adding white within that to mimic a mountain, rather than stretching out the top part. The Cascades word mark was then placed over that and a simple Space Needle traced from this Supersonics logo was added to take up some empty space.

The lime/neon green drop shadow idea was then applied to a throwback alternate (shown above) which found inspiration from the past black alternate jerseys of the New York Mets and this rather interesting logo and uniform from the Toronto Blue Jays. The same simple Space Needle from the Supersonics was wrapped around by a block S for the primary logo of the throwback, and a block word mark was created with the lime/neon green drop shadow. Overall, I'm really happy with this throwback as kind-of a "love to hate it" look. The Seattle ball club in the UBA is a historically terrible team, so I enjoyed creating a throwback look that doesn't necessarily scream success or good ownership/front office choices. The current look for Seattle then represents a return to a sort-of modernized classic look that the Blue Jays, Houston Astros, Milwaukee Brewers, and San Diego Padres have done in recent seasons.

Here's how the five uniforms for Seattle look all together:

91is7S4.png

JACKSONVILLE: Since Jacksonville represents a much larger update than the new logo for Seattle, I'll include the new graphics here. For the Tridents, I continued to play around with the roundel and trident logos from here, opting to go for a sharper looking trident and a clearer font for "Jacksonville" within the roundel, while then switching around the colors for the simple J logo. I also worked on a cursive Jacksonville script for the away and away alternate, adding a line through it to mimic the home "Tridents" wordmark as well. The simple trident logo replaced the roundel on the sleeve, just to simplify it a bit, while the two stripes on the socks are meant to match the two stripes on the trident base. I also dropped the second hat as I just plain didn't like it. On a brief note, Jacksonville dealt future free agent SP Alex Trejos to Montreal, so new #2 SP Justin Quehl is representing the team for the home alternate. LF Cesar Frattasio, the centerpiece return in another deadline deal of a starter on an expiring contract, SP Mike Napolitan, has raked since joining the Tridents and models the away alternate in honor of that.

Intro:

gSHiIrw.png

Home:

D3DvHP8.png

Away:

ct9E5qG.png

Home Alternate:

eLTmrqb.png

Away Alternate:

hsXZDWZ.png

I'm curious to see how the new Jacksonville script is received, as I think it may need further work (or maybe just to drop the line within it and outline the script instead?). Otherwise, I'm happy with Jacksonville, so here's how their four jerseys look together:

6kwYdz1.png

Though I intended to move on to San Francisco, Portland, or Montreal next, I ended up finishing up Philadelphia instead. One of the original UBA teams, who are also considered one of the more successful teams in the UBA standards, the 11-time champion Penns are next. Though I'll expand more on the naming of the team when I post it, the gist is that the team was originally named the Philadelphia Pennsylvanians when the began play in 1921, but over time became the Penns as sportswriters sought a shorter nickname for headlines. Here's a preview of the ball club:

1mmayKG.png

As always, let me know what you think. Happy Holidays!

• Like 7

On 10/31/2020 at 10:40 AM, Davidellias said:

Very well done, may I ask what template you are using?

I'm using rsaline's fantastic template from this topic:

I've been using it in Affinity Designer, where I've also been doing my design work for logos and scripts too.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2020 at 6:12 PM, teeray01 said:

Also,  What about adding stitching to the other side of the baseball?

On 12/21/2020 at 12:51 AM, teeray01 said:

Both are good updates.  Would love to see a larger view of the space needle "S" monogram.  I have to say I like the original "Jacksonville" road script better than the new one.  Philadelphia is off to a good start.

I messed around with adding stitching to the other side of the ball, but ended up not liking it. As for the space needle S, I'm not sure if I'll put a closer view of it up on here unless I end up working more on it in the future. I want to focus on other teams now though, so it may be some time before I do that. As for the Jacksonville script, I'm thinking it may just look better without the in line, so I'll mock up a change over the next few days to get everyone's opinion on that before making a change again.

Time to visit the "The Athens of America" in the "Keystone State"...

6PZmlgj.png

The Philadelphia Penns’ origins come pre-UBA, as the traveling Pennsylvania Base Ball Club was quite successful in the early 1900s. As such, the original name for this UBA original team was the Philadelphia Pennsylvanians, but due to sportswriters shortening it so often for newspaper headlines, they officially became the Penns in 1933. With two titles as the Pennsylvanians in the 1920s, a whopping seven titles from 1961 through 1972, and two more in 1982 and 2012, Philadelphia has the 4th most titles in the league. The Penns have also outlasted their former Continental League rival in Pittsburgh (who moved to Minnesota for the 1950 season) and the cross-town Philadelphia Founders (who moved west to LA after the 1956 season) to earn their position as Pennsylvania’s one and only UBA team. Most recently, the Penns returned to the playoffs in 2018, only to get taken out by Houston in the Divisional Round, 3 games to 1. 

While returning much of the same offense as the 2018 team, the 2019 team finds themselves deep in third place in the CL's East Division, 21 GB of first place Baltimore primarily because of injuries to their rotation. The Penns sport the worst rotation in the CL in terms of ERA, and only their #3 SP Ryan Jones hasn’t missed signifiant time due to injury. At age 39, 3-time All-Star SP Peter Fromm was brought in last offseason to provide a stabilizing force atop the rotation, but has just 51 innings pitched as of mid-August, while fellow free agent pickup 30-year-old SP Jorge Teran has only 77 innings, though he’s done for the year with forearm inflammation. But hope is not lost for next season, as Philadelphia has the 6th best minor league system in the UBA and over $80 million to play around with in free agency. 23-year-old SS Oscar Samano (who already owns a Gold Glove and an All-Star nod) and 25-year-old 3B Jason Lohse will be around for years to come, while 3-time All-Star RF Fernando Novoa continues to mash and mentor at age 35.

From their franchise's origins in the early 1900s, the Penns sport a simple keystone logo from Pennsylvania’s status as the Keystone State. A stylized P has also always been part of the team’s look, to represent both Philadelphia and the state. While originally a red and blue team, the Penns took the departure of the other two PA teams as a chance to refresh their look in the late 1950s by being solely a navy ballclub and then lightening that and adding yellow right as the team became a dynasty during the 1960s. The light blue and yellow is similar to the shades in Philadelphia’s city flag, but are deeper shades. Additionally, the team sported an all-yellow look in the late 1970’s with blue pinstripes that also may return as a throwback at some point too. The pinstripes and keystone logo over the heart emerged in the 1960s too, while the pinstriped away and alternate were inventions from the late 1990s that have stuck around. The home uniform is a classic, though the Penns wear their alternate for about a third of their home games and the throwback for a few games here and there over the course of the season. The alternate can also be worn on the road, for about a third of their away games, with plain gray pants with the same blue and yellow piping down the leg taking the place of the home whites. It's a little unconventional to have a pinstriped top without pinstriped pants, but the Penns wear it with pride.

Home:

HFzFwL5.png

Away:

HVONb0C.png

Alternate:

ZdE1nTN.png

1940s-1950's Throwback:

nDsv3b4.png

SFGiants58 has made a couple Philadelphia concepts that have toyed with a navy and yellow color scheme (here and here), but I hope the different shade of blue here helps distinguish my Philadelphia concept from his. I didn't want to make yet another red and navy Philly concept (except for the throwback), so I took the shades of blue and yellow found from the Welcome to Pennsylvania sign seen entering the state by highway. The keystone shape was also adapted from that sign. As for the uniforms themselves, I wanted to make a team inspired by the Cubs -- pinstriped and the primary team logo over the chest. I was also thinking about these two Indiana Pacers jerseys from the NBA, and their new City? Icon? Earned? insert-random-nike-term-here jersey. The nameplate idea for the back came from looking at old Twins' jerseys from the late 1990s / early 2000s, as they sported a nameplate as they wore pinstripes both home and away. It also represents a slight nod to the Flyers' nameplate, which felt needed for a team called the Penns with a yellow shade that could perhaps be more Pittsburgh than Philadelphia...

I didn't want to cram "Philadelphia" onto the away jersey, so I stuck with PHILA., something the 76ers use and that the Phillies used way back when. I'd rather not make PHILA yellow with a blue outline, because then I feel that encroaches on my Denver concept, but I'm not sure if I want to stick with the logo on the chest for the away jersey either, as that would be cool for continuity between the three jerseys but leave none of them openly stating the city name. Anyways, let me know what y'all think!

• Like 6

I just discovered this thread, and you've got some really good stuff here! :)

I like a fresh take on baseball in an MLB-less universe, and I love how you've experimented with a bunch of different color schemes. My personal favorites so far are Indy (particularly your throwback jersey), New Orleans, and Philly! As someone who also did hand-drawn baseball jerseys many, many years ago, I really appreciate that you included hand-drawn sketches on here too. Your template makes me want to digitize my old concepts down the road, possibly 🤔

Seeing that you introduced a new font for the Jacksonville roundel logo, I'd love to see you use that font on the "TRIDENTS" home and alt jerseys. The "JACKSONVILLE" jerseys can stay the same, but I like seeing its development! I think I'd also like to see the keystone "P" logo for the Philly away jersey, just for continuity and uniqueness

Keep up the good work, and I look forward to seeing the California teams once you get to those! :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

To me, the updated Jacksonville road jersey name font looks a tad thin as compared to your original design.

I love the throwback Philadelphia Penns uniform.

• Like 2

realclearpolitics.com

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire."

- Robert A. Heinlein

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/26/2020 at 12:45 AM, ItsSlothy said:

So, which one of the other three teams you listed are you planning on displaying next?

San Francisco is up next! 

@Shizznick, @jbird669, @TheGiantsFan -- thanks for your comments and compliments, I'll have a round of updates up soon!

I got to thinking a couple weeks ago about what some of these jerseys would look like in real life, and one thing led to another, so here are some somewhat rough jersey swaps for Philadelphia and the yet-to-be-unveiled San Francisco team. Two young stars of the UBA are seen here rocking their teams' uniforms within my own adaptations of the Topps' 1985 and 1986 baseball card designs. In the process of moving over my designs to do the jersey swaps, I decided to move up the number on the Philadelphia home jersey, as it looked awkward lower down.

1vTy8kM.png

BpJSLNF.png

Hope you enjoy!

• Like 6