UNLV considering mascot change

WideRight

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, TenaciousG said:

“Political correctness” is the greatest strawman of all time. I have never met someone in my life who has said “Boy, I love political correctness! Everything should be that way!” Instead it’s now the number one complaint of people online who want everyone to be bothered but themselves.

Maybe because everyone with a common sense know that PC is a bullpoop and creates problems where are no problems. I could explain you that, but I don't want risk to get a ban.

4r2eer.png

The problem to me with there being a lot of schools have seized on the nickname "Rebels" -- in theory, like "Warriors", it could point to something problematic but is also generic enough to not be that thing. But I don't know if that's how it actually evolved, we don't have a generic Rebels the way we have a generic-ified Golden State Warriors sort of template. If someone can pull that off, great, but we're waiting.

There's been some angst at the high school level at a couple towns I know in New England that used the Rebels moniker. Again, New England! Ought to be the least capital-R Rebel place you'll find. Makes you wonder. (The worst one I saw in the news consistently was South Burlington, Vermont. If your name is the Rebels, and your town is founded as a smaller, literally "South" version of another city, well....)

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

4 hours ago, Digby said:

There's been some angst at the high school level at a couple towns I know in New England that used the Rebels moniker. Again, New England! Ought to be the least capital-R Rebel place you'll find. Makes you wonder. (The worst one I saw in the news consistently was South Burlington, Vermont. If your name is the Rebels, and your town is founded as a smaller, literally "South" version of another city, well....)

Edit: 

There's more to the story than just the name..."South Burlington Rebels" is pretty tame in itself.

But the logo was this:

South Burlington - GroupRateIt Blankets

And the school had confederacy imagery in yearbooks in the 1960s. 

Vermont high school rethinks Rebel nicknamehttps://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/09/27/burlington-high-school-confederate-flap/72937390/

It took three years and a state Supreme Court decision to change the name from Rebels to Wolves. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

13 hours ago, FiddySicks said:

UNLV has Rebels as the mascot because back then (similar to today) Southern Nevada had absolutely zero culture that was worthwhile to celebrate, so what could they really do other than ape off of the actual south? It works now too because Vegas is essentially the Tupelo of the west, for all intents and purposes. 

Okay, you got my curiosity (and a little chuckle out of me)...qualify this, please.

Better than changing the mascot, they could just fold the school and allow their students to attend universities that are actually legitimate educational institutions. 

Fold the town, too. We could use the water back.

Ehh...just take it all back from the Bellagio. (Or stop the contracts to all the carriers that haul the water in...)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

1 hour ago, pepis21 said:

Maybe because everyone with a common sense know that PC is a bullpoop and creates problems where are no problems. I could explain you that, but I don't want risk to get a ban.

You already risked it by raising the "PC" argument in the first place.

So everyone keep this on topic or it gets locked.

22 hours ago, Buc said:

Remember this?

UNLVLogo-1.jpg

Seems to me this Confederacy connotation theme could have been (and probably still can be) averted simply by leaning more into local ties and imagery,  such as this. I still don't know why so many rejected that... that has got to be one of the most awesomest marks, with one of the most genius users of negative space, that I've ever seen. 

I don't see what was so wrong with this logo. I see this, I think "Las Vegas" and "Cowboys". I think this would eliminate any and all Confederate/Rebel ties, not that UNLV has already done that over their history already. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

2 hours ago, Digby said:

The problem to me with there being a lot of schools have seized on the nickname "Rebels" -- in theory, like "Warriors", it could point to something problematic but is also generic enough to not be that thing. But I don't know if that's how it actually evolved, we don't have a generic Rebels the way we have a generic-ified Golden State Warriors sort of template. If someone can pull that off, great, but we're waiting.

I literally just read this then saw on the news that the town of Walpole in MA which uses Rebels has voted to drop the nickname. 

I think Rebels can still work as a generic name and there's nothing inherently wrong with the name, like the point about Warriors, when it's not connected to Civil War imagery. For example, up here in Canadian junior hockey, where the Civil War wasn't a thing, we got a buffalo skull in the WHL and then Yosemite Sam in Jr. B.

1799.gif

48357569_2239106513004568_76480566993029

IEI5Tg1.png

There's a real easy way for UNLV to get around this thorny issue...

Play up the Las Vegas theme (Being the ONLY D1 school in the area helps) and introduce a new mascot. I do like @burgundy's idea of a James Dean-esque "Rebel Without a Cause" type character.

On 6/18/2020 at 11:01 AM, cajunaggie08 said:

The Rebels nickname mascot was chosen because the school that became UNLV was a satellite campus of University of Nevada, Reno. As Las Vegas grew, so did the school and eventually it was given equal status with UNR. The students saw themselves as breaking off from the blue northern school and decided to call themselves rebels as a play on a civil war theme.

sounds like they were trying to be tongue in cheek with the naming of the mascot.  

so long and thanks for all the fish.

15 hours ago, DEAD! said:

I admit, I never thought about the mascot having a link to confederacy. I thought it was just some cowboy motif. Now that I think about it, if there was any school that should change such a mascot ... its Ole Miss. 

We need the Mississippi Landsharks ASAP

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

The high school near me (who literally uses the confederate flag as a logo). Is meeting today to discuss a change. Probably to be replaced by something generic though.

Excellent!

1 hour ago, colinturner95 said:

I don't see what was so wrong with this logo. I see this, I think "Las Vegas" and "Cowboys". I think this would eliminate any and all Confederate/Rebel ties, not that UNLV has already done that over their history already. 

While it could be interpreted as a cowboy, it definitely looks like a Confederate wearing a slouch hat as well.

spacer.png

And with the gray of the jackets and the red of the battle flag, I just don't think it's far enough removed from Confederate imagery.

spacer.png

2 minutes ago, burgundy said:

While it could be interpreted as a cowboy, it definitely looks like a Confederate wearing a slouch hat as well.

spacer.png

And with the gray of the jackets and the red of the battle flag, I just don't think it's far enough removed from Confederate imagery.

I think that's a very deep read of the logo.  I can't see too many people seeing the grey of the logo and making that connection right off hand. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

36 minutes ago, colinturner95 said:

I think that's a very deep read of the logo.  I can't see too many people seeing the grey of the logo and making that connection right off hand. 

I see it as more of a Confederate soldier than a cowboy, but that is probably because the name Rebels naturally leads in that direction.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

22 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

I see it as more of a Confederate soldier than a cowboy, but that is probably because the name Rebels naturally leads in that direction.

That's fair. I think for me the disconnect there is that on the new logo, being in the shape of the Las Vegas sign, I think Vegas and to me Las Vegas =/= Confederacy, Civil War, Rebels. 

I don't know, just the way I see it, but I can see how it could be seen as a Confederate soldier

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Archived