WideRight

UNLV considering mascot change

UNLV Sharks

spacer.png

He was nasty AF, but he was a UNLV hero.

2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

UNLV Sharks

spacer.png

Excellent idea!

(Also, as I said in the "documentaries you want to see" thread: I'd like to see a dissection of what happened with this guy at San Antonio.)

19 hours ago, Digby said:

fair enough answer on their part I guess, though a cop out. I love the idea of a Green Mountain Boys based identity though! That’s inspired and too bad it couldn’t be used. 

is regular Burlington still the Seahorses? One of the all time great high school brands.

Ask and you shall receive...it took a little digging, but I managed to find my old files. It's over 15 years old at this point and looking at it makes me cringe a little...but as a professor of mine was fond of saying, "Yesterday's pride is today's embarrassment."

tRPUFiy.png

What's really funny is that in the process of digging up this design, I came across another that I'd submitted to Champlain Valley Union High School. They had recently changed their mascot from the Crusaders to the Redhawks and I put together the following design for them:

WBPM40o.png

I'm not going to lie...this one I still like. Apparently CVU did as well because a few years later I saw the design on a banner at a track and field event. Keep in mind, I had received zero word from the school and had not given any permission to use the design. That was bad enough, but when I got around to visiting their website, I came across this abomination:

adyAYvO.png

They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and I admit I was flattered...horrified...but flattered. I ultimately decided that it wasn't worth the headache to take any kind of action. I'd moved on professionally and having their "adaptation" of my original design kicking around was punishment enough.

Now that I think about it, I can see the NCAA doing what they did with Native American mascots and forcing all schools with Rebels or Confederate symbols to change.

Aren’t they already doing that?  As they should. 

The NCAA's board of governors announced Friday it is expanding its policy on the Confederate flag to bar any collegiant championship events from being played in states where the symbol is prominently displayed.

The NCAA’s previous policy prohibited the awarding of sites determined in advance to states that display the flag but allowed events to be held in such states if a college or university team earned the right to host a game based on its tournament seeding or ranking, which was considered a nonpredetermined award.

The new policy issues a blanket ban on any championship events from being held in states where the Confederate flag is prominent.

UNLV really shouldn’t change the name. Rebels is fine. 

Ole Miss should change. 

It’s all about context. 

Still waiting for the wokeness to come for Stanford, Indiana and Oklahoma. 

Change the name.  Can't retcon your way from the original symbolism and meaning.  Mind you this was really stupid to begin with given that Nevada was admitted to the Union during the Civil War and its Constitution explicitly defers more to the Federal Government as a consequence.

4 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

UNLV Sharks

spacer.png

UNLV Chewing Towels

18 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Still waiting for the wokeness to come for Stanford, Indiana and Oklahoma. 

The first one is named for a literal color, while the others are just settler groups. Indiana could easily be named for tires.

Also, stop treating "wokeness" like it's gangrene.

5 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

The first one is named for a literal color, while the others are just settler groups. Indiana could easily be named for tires.

Also, stop treating "wokeness" like it's gangrene.

Leland Stanford was horribly racist. 

Indiana is literally named for Land of the Indians.

Oklahoma is Choctaw for “red people”

Be woke all you want. I’ll enjoy my life. 

1 minute ago, WSU151 said:

Leland Stanford was horribly racist. 

Indiana is named for Indians.

Oklahoma is Choctaw for “red people”

Be woke all you want. I’ll enjoy my life. 

spacer.png

28 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

spacer.png

No I’m not. 

You literally said we should change the name of San Diego a while back. 

In media, this column was written in the last 48 hours:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/columns/steve-chapman/ct-column-texas-rangers-brutality-statue-chapman-20200617-bani5arbkfh67onjd6a6mdl36m-story.html

People are tearing down Ulysses S Grant statues.

The slippery slope certainly exists.

1 hour ago, Thaumatrope said:

Ask and you shall receive...it took a little digging, but I managed to find my old files. It's over 15 years old at this point and looking at it makes me cringe a little...but as a professor of mine was fond of saying, "Yesterday's pride is today's embarrassment."

tRPUFiy.png

now we’re talkin! Nice work. The intent is there... The Fightin’ Ethan Allens.

The issue, I suppose, is that high schools don’t have a lot of value in original branding. Easier to just recycle generic or old identities, even if you’re copyright violating the pros and/or being problematic.

2 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

You literally said we should change the name of San Diego a while back. 

I don’t stand by that position anymore on the Padres. Even then, it was just a hypothetical, darling.

In trying to tell the “woke” to STFU, you reveal what a snowflake you are. All anti-PC folk strike me as snowflakes upset that the world won’t put up with them anymore. 

28 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

I don’t stand by that position anymore on the Padres. Even then, it was just a hypothetical, darling.

In trying to tell the “woke” to STFU, you reveal what a snowflake you are. All anti-PC folk strike me as snowflakes upset that the world won’t put up with them anymore. 

I’m not telling anyone to STFU, am I? All I’m saying us there are activists who are looking to change names of stuff. Whatever you think you read says more about you than me.

And Darling???

Nope. We’re done. Go annoy someone else.

Try the “Gotcha!!!!!!!!!!” game on some other board.

I derailed the thread with my other examples. I’ll see myself out of this thread. 

54 minutes ago, Digby said:

now we’re talkin! Nice work. The intent is there... The Fightin’ Ethan Allens.

The issue, I suppose, is that high schools don’t have a lot of value in original branding. Easier to just recycle generic or old identities, even if you’re copyright violating the pros and/or being problematic.

City/town councils, community school departments, and high school administrations are likely to err on the side of what they perceive to be the most cost-efficient solution to an athletics identity rebrand. Hard-pressed to come up with the money necessary to pay for branding/design services, to say nothing of the costs associated with purchasing new uniforms and changing out signage on walls and floors, they're going to pursue the path of least financial resistance. More often than not, that approach is going to lean towards the decision to "recycle generic or old identities". 

Which is why South Burlington High School's decision three years ago was about as good as could be reasonably expected. Once they'd decided that the Rebels identity had to go, they involved the student population in choosing the replacement identity, hired a locally-headquartered firm - Select Design - to collaborate with students on creating a logo, and have been slowly purchasing athletic uniforms emblazoned with the new mark on a team-by-team basis as old gear was due to be replaced.  

Is Wolves a bold, outside-the-box identity for a school's athletic teams? No, but it was what students selected from a field of 70 candidates. It's reasonable to believe that the folks at Select Design gave local officials a break on pricing as a "good neighbor" gesture that generated positive feelings for the firm in the community. While not necessarily a seamless match, the new logo can live side-by-side with the school's traditional interlocking 'SB' ligature until such time as new uniforms have been purchased for all of South Burlington High School's athletic teams. 

uiI9UvAm.jpg?1                                           BJOPZElm.jpg?1

New - South Burlington High School Wolves Logo                             Old - South Burlington High School Rebels Logo

Before this gets inevitably locked, figured I'd comment. 

As someone who's fairly southern. Rebels means people who fought for the Confederates. It probably once meant the people who broke away from British colonialism, but Confederates tainted it. 

UNLV could easily adopt cowboys or Pioneers, both work with the rejected Vegas sign logo really well and while they can be interpreted the wrong way, it's an improvement that doesn't require much change. 

Ole Miss already has the Landsharks thing going, they should've adopted that yesterday. 

UNLV Royal Flush...plot twist, mascot is a toilet with a crown.

7 hours ago, Buc said:

Watch the broadstroke statements. I know you mean no ill will, but still... (Because others don't possess your insight.)

And just for the record (for everyone else), there's a sizeable contingent of the deep south that mocks Mississippi all by itself--for pretty much the reason stated above. 😉 Even then, though, its mostly just old- money Good Ole Boy NIMBY Mississippi that kicks, claws and scratches the most about change--but this ain't about Ole Miss or the south; its about UNLV, so let's all keep it up there as per mod guidance lest the gates get locked on this thread...

That’s fair, and I certainly don’t mean any disrespect to members here who are from the south. I simply mean when it comes to the overall mentality of white supremacy that permeates parts southern culture, Mississippi is particularly embarrassing. Not to condemn the entire southern population, just the sect that operates in that manner. My apologies for not being more careful with my words. 

I also say this as someone who’s grandfather is from Mississippi, so I saw a lot of that up close. 

But, yes. Back to talking about the UNR satellite campus. 

1 hour ago, lahaye7 said:

UNLV Royal Flush...plot twist, mascot is a toilet with a crown.

Logo:

il_570xN.449194499_l2k3.jpg

Mascot:

793145_01