WLD42

Jelle's Marble Runs crossover uniforms (13/28 hockey ; 2/28 baseball)

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Like so many others, COVID quarantine gave me the opportunity to discover and fall in love with Jelle's Marble Runs. It may be a bit silly, some may say it's even a bit "juvenile," and it may have a healthy dose of WWE-style kayfabe (though none of the scripted results!) and fantasy world-building, but I'll be damned if it isn't entertaining, and based on the number of fans, I'm not the only one who thinks so. And especially since they adopted new logos by Tim Ritz about a year ago, the look of the channel and its videos have only gotten more and more professional. With the 2020 edition of the Marble League underway, it seemed like the perfect time to take this new fandom and combine it with the hobby of uniform design. Ice hockey's always been my "thing," so that's where I'm starting, but depending on my free time I may use this as an opportunity to branch out and design uniforms for some other sports.

 

All 28 teams' logos are somewhat similar, for better or worse, in that they're all roundel style, but there is still a lot of stylistic variation between them all. I've taken the liberty of separating out a few of the elements that comprise the primary logos and turning them into secondary logos, and I've made recolored versions of most of the wordmarks, just to make them work on both light and dark backgrounds for helmet stickers. Here's a quick visual rundown (not my own image; credits are at the bottom) of the current teams competing:

spacer.png

 

Quick links to teams' concepts:

 

Hockey:

Balls of Chaos (v1)

Team Galactic (v1) (v2a, v2b)

Green Ducks (v1)

Jawbreakers (v1)

Midnight Wisps (v1 this post) (v2)

Oceanics (v1)

O'rangers (v1)

Pinkies (v1) (v2)

Raspberry Racers (v1) (v2)

Rojo Rollers (v1)

Savage Speeders (v1)

Thunderbolts (v1)

Turtle Sliders (v1)

 

Baseball:

Bumblebees (v1)

Minty Maniacs (v1)

 

 

In no particular order, I'm kicking off my concepts with the Midnight Wisps. They debuted in 2017, the second year of competition, and have a bold color scheme that was a lot of fun to work with.

 

spacer.png

 

C&C is always appreciated, and we'll see how long it takes me to work my way through the league!

Edited by WLD42
Added quick links

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wisps look good! Nice start to the series! I would start with the champions and work my way from there. #FearTheNight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm right there with ya dude, been watching that and matchbox car racing regularly but I do prefer the Marble Runs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MW are my 2nd team behind Galactic.  I'd like to see baseball uniforms, mainly for the hats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Woo hoo!  I was hoping someone would start a Marble League thread.  What makes the Marble League so much fun is the attention to aesthetics.  It's going all-in on marbles-as-people.  I think there's tons of room for adding more 'personal' details about the various teams and marbles, and there's an infinite opportunity for playing with the logos like this thread is doing.  

 

I think most people here in concepts would LOVE the marble league if they go into it as a proof of concept series.  Lots of fun.  I'm a huge fan now.  

 

Go Raspberry Racers!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, darkpiranha said:

Woo hoo!  I was hoping someone would start a Marble League thread.  What makes the Marble League so much fun is the attention to aesthetics.  It's going all-in on marbles-as-people.  I think there's tons of room for adding more 'personal' details about the various teams and marbles, and there's an infinite opportunity for playing with the logos like this thread is doing.  

 

I think most people here in concepts would LOVE the marble league if they go into it as a proof of concept series.  Lots of fun.  I'm a huge fan now.  

 

Go Raspberry Racers!  

 

7 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

MW are my 2nd team behind Galactic.  I'd like to see baseball uniforms, mainly for the hats.

 

14 hours ago, Skycast said:

I'm right there with ya dude, been watching that and matchbox car racing regularly but I do prefer the Marble Runs.


Great seeing fans here! Have been watching this guy for a while, I am glad to say #BumbleRumble!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had never heard of this Marble Runs before til you brought it up. I watched and got hooked to these marbles. I never thought it would be that fun to watch! Looking forward to this series!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is so funny, i never thought i'd ever see a Jelle's Marble Runs concept thread. Wisps look good, the pants stripe is ingenious. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As an O'Rangers fan, I'm obligated to say: OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo.

 

Anyways, as for the actual concept, I love the idea and the Midnight Wisps are off to a good start. I think they could use more blue though -- maybe the number on the back of the black jersey could be blue, to help it stand out a bit? Also, I think the captain C and the stars down the side of the shorts would stand out more in the blue too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched this freshman year of college and literally had to remove myself from it because it took up so much time. I remember being fond of the Crazy Cat's Eyes, Team Primary and the Jawbreakers back then, but it all blew up and I have no clue who to back. With all this free time I have I kind of want to jump back in, and want to support a few teams. Now that there is some good history and professional logos for all the teams, it is so hard to choose. Is there somewhere to find more history that I've missed other than all the videos?

 

Regarding the thread, I love this idea. It is so much fun, and if you have the time you could branch into other sports. The Midnight Wisps look very good, and I agree with @raysox about the pants stripe being ingenious. Only problem is that players who don't tuck the jersey would be hiding the blue star, unfortunately. I know it might not feel right, but maybe make the blue one the bottom or middle star? A blue/gray alt would also be class for this team. Great job!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

MW are my 2nd team behind Galactic.  I'd like to see baseball uniforms, mainly for the hats.

If I do branch out into concepts for other sports, I've been thinking baseball could be one of the first I try my hand at! Baseball and American football are probably my top two that I'm interested to try my hand at. (I've also done Australian football jumpers in the past, but I don't think there's a huge demand for that...)

 

8 hours ago, Sebastianm said:

Great seeing fans here! Have been watching this guy for a while, I am glad to say #BumbleRumble!

There's dozens of us! Dozens! Go 'Bees!

 

6 hours ago, raysox said:

This is so funny, i never thought i'd ever see a Jelle's Marble Runs concept thread. Wisps look good, the pants stripe is ingenious. 

Thanks! I almost used it as a hanger effect on the collar, too, but decided that was a bit overboard.

 

33 minutes ago, Megildur said:

As an O'Rangers fan, I'm obligated to say: OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo.

 

Anyways, as for the actual concept, I love the idea and the Midnight Wisps are off to a good start. I think they could use more blue though -- maybe the number on the back of the black jersey could be blue, to help it stand out a bit? Also, I think the captain C and the stars down the side of the shorts would stand out more in the blue too.

I went back and forth about how much blue to use, and obviously I settled on using it as more of an accent color, just because of how bright and "electric" a shade it is against the black and gray. But I'll try making the numbers and C blue on the dark jersey when I get home later today and see how it looks! I do prefer to keep the stars on the pants as only one blue and the rest white, though, to match the logo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, TheHealthiestScratch said:

I watched this freshman year of college and literally had to remove myself from it because it took up so much time. I remember being fond of the Crazy Cat's Eyes, Team Primary and the Jawbreakers back then, but it all blew up and I have no clue who to back. With all this free time I have I kind of want to jump back in, and want to support a few teams. Now that there is some good history and professional logos for all the teams, it is so hard to choose. Is there somewhere to find more history that I've missed other than all the videos?

 

Regarding the thread, I love this idea. It is so much fun, and if you have the time you could branch into other sports. The Midnight Wisps look very good, and I agree with @raysox about the pants stripe being ingenious. Only problem is that players who don't tuck the jersey would be hiding the blue star, unfortunately. I know it might not feel right, but maybe make the blue one the bottom or middle star? A blue/gray alt would also be class for this team. Great job!

Good point about the untucked jerseys... I hadn't thought about that from a practical perspective. And I think the NHL now requires everyone to wear them untucked, even, from around when they added fight straps? Don't quote me on that.

 

I'll probably take a look at some reference photos of players in action and see how far up the pants start showing. I like keeping the blue star at the top to represent midnight like in the logo, but I figure I can just shift the whole thing downward.

 

Any third jerseys are way down on the priority list until I've finished the home and away sets for everyone... I also prefer third jerseys with alternate logos, which the Marble League teams don't have, though some of them could have alternate logos pulled out of the main official logos. But I agree that blue/gray would be a good look, probably even with the main logo still used!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holy crap, a JMR concept series?! Can’t wait to see how this plays out. Go Ducks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, JLJ said:

Holy crap, a JMR concept series?! Can’t wait to see how this plays out. Go Ducks!

Yup, this is real. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A quick Midnight Wisps update, taking the suggestions of @Megildur and @TheHealthiestScratch. I was worried about color balance in making the numbers blue, but I think my concerns were unfounded, and it certainly helps with legibility from a distance. It does also use the gray-black-blue order of color from the logo, even though I chose to flip that order in the striping, so it still looks cohesive in that respect. And the stars on the pants shift downwards just a touch from where they were before.

 

spacer.png

 

Next team will be getting posted in a separate comment shortly!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Raspberry Racers entered the Marble League in 2018, and are the reigning champions, capturing gold in their sophomore season. Their logo is nearly monochromatic, with just a touch of black as an accent color, but they didn't feel like a team that wanted the simplicity of, say, the Detroit Red Wings or Tampa Bay Lightning in their use of a minimalist color palette. So I came up with a unique striping pattern that I hope is true to the "Racers" part of their name.

 

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo

Looking forward to some sweet O'Rangers - this is a great idea!

 

The addition of blue numbers to the Wisps looks great. That's a solid design and very fitting of the Wisps

 

 

I'm really digging the racing pattern RR so far. Around the arms you'll lose most of the detail under the arms so a bit of a shift would help but it's a great choice. I'd look for a bit of a different font for the captaincy, but the number font looks like a decent fit for RR. They absolutely need red-yoke jerseys though

 

 

I think a bit of a flat and simple look will fit RR better though. So what if we dropped the strokes around the numbers & captaincy and ditched the black framing strokes around the waist & arm striping?

 

Edited by Split98

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Split98 said:

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo

Looking forward to some sweet O'Rangers - this is a great idea!

 

The addition of blue numbers to the Wisps looks great. That's a solid design and very fitting of the Wisps

 

 

I'm really digging the racing pattern RR so far. Around the arms you'll lose most of the detail under the arms so a bit of a shift would help but it's a great choice. I'd look for a bit of a different font for the captaincy, but the number font looks like a decent fit for RR. They absolutely need red-yoke jerseys though

 

 

I think a bit of a flat and simple look will fit RR better though. So what if we dropped the strokes around the numbers & captaincy and ditched the black framing strokes around the waist & arm striping?

 

The 1-pixel strokes around the waist and arm stripes are actually just the location of seams on the template. If you can't tell, I'm an MS Paint caveman, so I prefer leaving those on because (in my mind at least) it helps make the presentation look a little more realistic, considering how little else the template has going for it.

 

I hear you about the strokes around the letters and numbers. I used the Washington Capitals font with an extra stroke added, but I'll play around with stripping things down to no outline at all, and creating the captain's "C" out of the arm number 6's, 3's, etc. rather than using the Caps' actual "C," which is quite a bit rounder than the numbers. Or I may even try making some numbers and nameplate letters out of the actual Raspberry Racers wordmark. Thanks for the feedback!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Raspberry Racers revision is still on the to-do list, but in the meantime, here's a set for a fan favorite, the O'Rangers.

 

Nothing flashy, nothing complicated, just a classic jersey set for this Original 16 team that lets their performance (and their color... and their fans) do the talking. It should be incredibly obvious where I found my inspiration, but I think it works. Their baseball-style wordmark felt the most worthy of being featured prominently out of all the teams, so I've used it as the crest on the white jersey, probably for the only time in the series; I guess that's your dash of uniqueness for this team.

 

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.