Jelle's Marble Runs uniforms (28/28 hockey +1 bonus ; 2/28 baseball) - Team Primary added

WLD42

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest darkpiranha

Nice!  I'd also include a photo or example of what that particular marble looks like.  I always find it amusing to see how a type of marble has been translated into an identity.  

12 minutes ago, darkpiranha said:

Nice!  I'd also include a photo or example of what that particular marble looks like.  I always find it amusing to see how a type of marble has been translated into an identity.  

Good idea, thanks! I'll make it happen.

I got hooked on Mellow Yellow before understanding the buzz behind the O'rangers. Wanted to jump ship. Couldn't bring myself to do so. Fantastic idea for a series. Will definitely be tuning in on the progress.

A quick side note, the "in car" camera that they do gets me every single time.

XcryMwi.png

15 hours ago, HRC4 said:

I got hooked on Mellow Yellow before understanding the buzz behind the O'rangers. Wanted to jump ship. Couldn't bring myself to do so. Fantastic idea for a series. Will definitely be tuning in on the progress.

A quick side note, the "in car" camera that they do gets me every single time.

Nahhh, O'rangers are O'verrated, you're good with Mellow Yellow!

I've added photos of the actual marbles to all of the images, so that point of reference is now there for all to see. And here's the Raspberry Racers update:

spacer.png

The number font is the same as before, but as a solid color rather than outlined. The name font, meanwhile, is now custom, based on the team's wordmark but a little thinner.

So far I'm still posting concepts that I've already had done; eventually the thread will catch up to me, but for now, we'll keep things "rolling" with Team Galactic, another Original 16 team and this year's hosts for the Marble League.

PUBcOzt.png

As you can see from the photo of the marble, purple isn't really a part of their identity apart from the logo, so I wanted to keep the dark purple as an accent color rather than the primary color. None of the colors that make up the logo's gradient were looking good, though, so I eventually settled on the lavender-y shade by borrowing it from this image on Reddit; props to them for making that really nice graphic and sparking my inspiration.

The Capitals' jersey template was my jumping-off point, but as I modified things I tried to go for a "cosmic" or "futuristic" look without being kitschy. The wordmark was an easy font to turn into numbers and names, and I thought that if any team would look good in Vegas-style white gloves, it would be these guys!

3 hours ago, TheHealthiestScratch said:

The design for Team Galactic is nice, but the colors don’t seem to add up. Yes, they match the marble, but the logo looks out of place with it. 

Fair enough. Finding the right color was the biggest challenge, what with the logo being a gradient and all. I'll try the dark purple as the primary color, though the logo will need another white stroke added to the outline. But they still need another color besides purple and white, in my opinion... Thoughts on some shade of gray, as a nod to the marbles' actual color? (The purplish hue in the photo is kind of an optical illusion; they're really a clear, silvery marble with sort-of brown swirls.)

Still mulling over options for a Team Galactic revision, but in the meantime, the Rojo Rollers are a long-suffering team who have, sadly, never qualified for a single Marble League tournament after appearing in the inaugural edition. They're a great-looking group of marbles, in my opinion, who take the overdone red/blue combo and spice it up with brighter reds and paler blues than is typically seen. I almost used the ultra-light blue as the base color for the white jersey, but it was a bit too much.

cbAyLrD.png

I'm finally going to get around to trying out some new color options for Team Galactic during my lunch break. We'll see what happens!

Next concept is for the Pinkies, another founding team who've been steady underachievers, although unlike the Rojo Rollers they've at least had a track record of qualifying. I really enjoy seeing pink used in a regular, non-promotional-event way, so this was a fun one. I like the white shoulders (obviously, or I wouldn't have done it), but I could see it being a love-it-or-hate-it feature, so I'm curious to hear opinions on that.

spacer.png

I love the white shoulder yoke! However I would change the lighter pink and white stripes on the home jersey. I feel like it needs a little more white to match the white shoulder yoke

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Revision day! First up is a new Pinkies home jersey based on @chcarlson23's feedback. The arm and waist stripes are now primarily white to match the shoulder yoke, and the shoulder yoke gets a double-outline to better match the stripes. (I tried changing the numbers to have the double-outline too, but it didn't look as good, so they keep the thick single outline on the home jersey.) I don't feel too strongly about this versus the original version; I liked that it's clearer in v1 that there are two different shades of pink, but I also agree that the consistency between shoulder yoke and stripes is nice in v2.

pGiyXoe.png

And a pair of Team Galactic options. I'm still not certain if I've landed on an improvement to the lavender or not; the logo is just a tricky one to work with. Option A is a simple color replacement; where we had lavender before, we now have "space gray." Option B takes things all the way down to just dark purple and white, and the side panels and sock stripes are revised a bit to work better with the reduction from three colors to two. Personally, I think Option B is a downgrade; it looks okay without the logo, but once you add it in, the gradient clashes with the design. And I'm not sure Option A is anything other than a lateral move; maybe a slight improvement. But everyone else's eyes and opinions are certainly better than just my own!

i80dWBv.png

mfHtGmg.png

Guest darkpiranha
1 hour ago, WLD42 said:

Revision day! First up is a new Pinkies home jersey based on @chcarlson23's feedback. The arm and waist stripes are now primarily white to match the shoulder yoke, and the shoulder yoke gets a double-outline to better match the stripes. (I tried changing the numbers to have the double-outline too, but it didn't look as good, so they keep the thick single outline on the home jersey.) I don't feel too strongly about this versus the original version; I liked that it's clearer in v1 that there are two different shades of pink, but I also agree that the consistency between shoulder yoke and stripes is nice in v2.

pGiyXoe.png

And a pair of Team Galactic options. I'm still not certain if I've landed on an improvement to the lavender or not; the logo is just a tricky one to work with. Option A is a simple color replacement; where we had lavender before, we now have "space gray." Option B takes things all the way down to just dark purple and white, and the side panels and sock stripes are revised a bit to work better with the reduction from three colors to two. Personally, I think Option B is a downgrade; it looks okay without the logo, but once you add it in, the gradient clashes with the design. And I'm not sure Option A is anything other than a lateral move; maybe a slight improvement. But everyone else's eyes and opinions are certainly better than just my own!

i80dWBv.png

mfHtGmg.png

I think the disconnect is that the colors of the logo aren't represented anywhere in the jersey.  I suppose the stroke on the logo is the same purple, but that's not enough of a tie-in.  the logo has a gradient on it, so if a gradient was ever justified for part of a jersey, this is it.  For the white jersey, use that gradient and stars in all the places where you have dark purple right now.    For the dark jerseys, maybe try having the whole purple replaced by a gradient and stars, with the white part of the logo (the G and the planet rings) placed on the jersey bit itself, out of a circle.  

Outside of that, sample any of the colors of the gradient and use that as your solid color.  

I appreciate the feedback, @darkpiranha! I'm pretty vehemently anti-gradient in hockey jerseys, and I've been wanting to keep the primary logos unchanged from the "official" versions, but I think you're right that it's time for me to let go of that and explore one or both of those options. I'm definitely feeling ready to move on to other teams and revisit Team Galactic down the road, though.

So on that note, let's get one of the only other teams with a gradient logo out of the way, the Balls of Chaos. The wordmark was clearly my main point of inspiration for the jersey design; it feels on-brand for the team to me, but I hope it doesn't come across as too "minor-leaguey."

1tchjma.png

I love all of these uniforms so far. I am curious if you might do the former teams as well (Quicksilvers, Golden Orbs, Black Jacks, Team Momary, etc.). I will admit Quarantine really got me into this and I’m rooting for my Green Ducks to win it all. #QuackAttack

Guest darkpiranha
18 hours ago, WLD42 said:

I appreciate the feedback, @darkpiranha! I'm pretty vehemently anti-gradient in hockey jerseys, and I've been wanting to keep the primary logos unchanged from the "official" versions, but I think you're right that it's time for me to let go of that and explore one or both of those options. I'm definitely feeling ready to move on to other teams and revisit Team Galactic down the road, though.

I guess I'm confused.  Did you change the colors of the official logo?  My assumption was that the dark purple was something you added.  But it sounds like the gradient blue-purple of the logo itself might be the thing you added.  

12 minutes ago, darkpiranha said:

I guess I'm confused.  Did you change the colors of the official logo?  My assumption was that the dark purple was something you added.  But it sounds like the gradient blue-purple of the logo itself might be the thing you added.  

The official logo is exactly as I used it: the dark purple border with the gradient interior. My first attempts at designing the jersey, I tried sampling a few different colors from the gradient and using them as a solid color alongside the purple, but none of them worked very well: they were coming out very pink or very blue, and just not looking good as a solid color.

The lavender color of my first version I borrowed from a graphic another fan had made, while the gray in v2 was, well, just a shade of gray that I chose. But after the various attempts, it sounds to me like either the jersey itself needs a gradient, or the logo needs to lose the gradient for use on a solid-color jersey.

On 7/5/2020 at 1:32 AM, ZEGH82 said:

I love all of these uniforms so far. I am curious if you might do the former teams as well (Quicksilvers, Golden Orbs, Black Jacks, Team Momary, etc.). I will admit Quarantine really got me into this and I’m rooting for my Green Ducks to win it all. #QuackAttack

Thanks! The former teams aren't really on my to-do list because of their lack of logos in the "current" style, but maybe I'll do some "throwback" sets for them down the line. I do, however, have a jersey set ready for your Green Ducks!

The Green Ducks turned out to be the Vegas Golden Knights of the Marble League, entering the league last year in 2019 and finishing in second place. They quickly became a fan favorite, and their fan base quickly surpassed many of the established teams' in size. We'll see if they suffer any sort of sophomore slump or not in 2020...

JXQw4wL.png

I'm not completely sure how I feel about this concept. I think it looks good enough, but I also feel that I took somewhat of the easy way out by using the Coyotes' template almost as-is, really just changing up the hem stripes a bit. Having nothing but three shades of green to work with (plus a fourth in the logo that I didn't use) made a lot of the other designs I tried look a bit strange, though. C&C is always appreciated, but on this concept in particular I'd certainly appreciate it! Am I being to hard on myself and it looks fine, or should I give it another go and push some more boundaries?

On 6/23/2020 at 12:35 PM, Megildur said:

As an O'Rangers fan, I'm obligated to say: OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Galactic jersey could use more stars on the sleeve or jersey.  And yes, somehow work the gradient in.

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

Archived