NFL | The Washington Redskins become the Warriors | UPDATE

Go Red Sox!

The Washington Redskins have to change their name – and no one should ask why. This very word has always been utterly racist, therefore degrading, and historically absolutely unambiguous.

Welcome the new Washington Warriors, a team with a name that owner Dan Snyder has suggested in the mid 2000's.  Colors remain unchanged – except for black, a supporting color – was dropped.

UPDATE: DC Football logo now has a consistent yellow-gold outline.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That DC football logo is sublime. I think the XFL Defenders did a really job of incorporating DC iconography into team graphics, and I think your image bridges that into existing team colors.

What would this look like with a total color swap to the DC red and white flag? Or even traditional red, white and blue?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

2 hours ago, Go Red Sox! said:

The Washington Redskins have to change their name – and no one should ask why. This very word has always been utterly racist, therefore degrading, and historically absolutely unambiguous.

Welcome the new Washington Warriors, a team with a name that owner Dan Snyder has suggested in the mid 2000's.  Colors remain unchanged – except for black, a supporting color – was dropped.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

The bottom of the "W" confuses me.  In the circle logo, the bottom appears to come to 2 points, but on the "W" the outlines come to a flat bottom.
Minor, but once I noticed it I can't un-see it.

Other than that, solid design.  Good work!

That is alot of cleaner looks, i only want to ask if you can try 2 more options of DC Football Logo - (1) expand the white outline around the logo and (2) do the colors swap with Burgundy and White? That way we can see the comparisons better

Alamo%2BBowl_sig.png

Liberty Bowl_sig.png

FEAR THE FROG! LET'S GO TCU!!

I like everything about this except the middle of the "W."  I was wondering, have you considered having the middle part of the W coming to a single point, maybe shape like the Washington Monument?  Might end up being too busy but it looks good in my head.

Either way I love the rest of it and the homage to the previous franchise with the spear and feather.  I think it's powerful and respectful.

mainescarf.png

The DC football logo is great but could use a minor tweak in my opinion. When you use the logo on a burgundy background, you fill the football with white. But then the tops of the stars run almost right to the edge of the white coloring, whereas the spacing of the other elements of the logo is thicker. I think you could actually just recolor the bars and stars to white for applications on a burgundy background (even though it moves you a bit away from the flag colors) or put a white stroke around the football just to maintain that spacing. Very good stuff all around though. I like the wordmark a lot.

On 6/24/2020 at 12:44 AM, SNBSlugger said:

I like everything about this except the middle of the "W."  I was wondering, have you considered having the middle part of the W coming to a single point, maybe shape like the Washington Monument?  Might end up being too busy but it looks good in my head.

Either way I love the rest of it and the homage to the previous franchise with the spear and feather.  I think it's powerful and respectful.

Thanks a lot, SNBSlugger.

I know for sure that I have already seen a "W" with the Washington Monument as the middle part, but I just can't recall where I've stumbled upon it. It is (rather "was") a professional or semi-professional inactive sports logo, or, and this is more likely, that very gimmick was already used by some designer here or on Behance, Dribbble, etc. Anyway, I didn't want to adopt it,  so I chose a different, more complex shape for the "W" that you usually can find in older serif typefaces that radiates grace, dignity, or wisdom. So I came up with this "W".

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

16 hours ago, JMtexan09 said:

That is alot of cleaner looks, i only want to ask if you can try 2 more options of DC Football Logo - (1) expand the white outline around the logo and (2) do the colors swap with Burgundy and White? That way we can see the comparisons better

Thanks, JMTexasn09.

When designing a logo package, I always seek consistency in terms of colors, outlines, line width, etc. That's why I chose yellow-gold as an outline color for alll logos. Because a yellow-gold outline around the primary logo really pops on that metallic-burgundy helmet. The DC football logo with a white outline would break that consistency. The reason why these three DC stars are placed the way they're placed, is because they also represent the laces of a football. An outline would always come into conflict with the stars, or vice versa. I also prefer the red-on-white version since the flag's stars and stripes are red (in the case of the Warriors, they're burgundy).

18 hours ago, LogoFan said:

The bottom of the "W" confuses me.  In the circle logo, the bottom appears to come to 2 points, but on the "W" the outlines come to a flat bottom.
Minor, but once I noticed it I can't un-see it.

Other than that, solid design.  Good work!

Thanks, LogoFan.

The "W" in the partial logo needs to have a flat instead of a pointy bottom because the outlines would enhance that pointy effect tremendously. I corrected the placement of the "W" inside the white cirlce in the primary mark, and revised the "W" a bit here and there.

Images have been updated.

On 6/23/2020 at 3:08 PM, DG_ThenNowForever said:

That DC football logo is sublime. I think the XFL Defenders did a really job of incorporating DC iconography into team graphics, and I think your image bridges that into existing team colors.

What would this look like with a total color swap to the DC red and white flag? Or even traditional red, white and blue?

It would be cool to see them in red and white, maybe as an alternate or Color Rush, but I think the Washington NFL team has such a unique colour scheme, it would be a shame for them to become another red/white/blue team.

13 hours ago, jwinters said:

It would be cool to see them in red and white, maybe as an alternate or Color Rush, but I think the Washington NFL team has such a unique colour scheme, it would be a shame for them to become another red/white/blue team.

Agree. The NHL Capitals are R/W/B, same goes for the NBA Wizards, and the MLB Nats. As much as I like this color combination, it would be a massive visual overdose for Washington sports fans. Washington looks great in all-white, but they look superb with burgungy jerseys and yellow-gold pants (my favorite).

Gotta say I love everything about this identity package. Not only does it look amazing, but it would manage to remove a racial slur from the vocabulary of the NFL while also being close enough to original imagery to not alienate the fans of the current nickname and logo too much. While the latter may not be a concern to those of us who aren't Washington fans, we have to realize that an organization isn't realistically going to do something that will push away an entire segment of their entire fanbase.

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

59 minutes ago, Maroon said:

Gotta say I love everything about this identity package. Not only does it look amazing, but it would manage to remove a racial slur from the vocabulary of the NFL while also being close enough to original imagery to not alienate the fans of the current nickname and logo too much. While the latter may not be a concern to those of us who aren't Washington fans, we have to realize that an organization isn't realistically going to do something that will push away an entire segment of their entire fanbase.

Thanks a lot, Maroon. Much appreciated.

13 hours ago, Go Red Sox! said:

Agree. The NHL Capitals are R/W/B, same goes for the NBA Wizards, and the MLB Nats. As much as I like this color combination, it would be a massive visual overdose for Washington sports fans. Washington looks great in all-white, but they look superb with burgungy jerseys and yellow-gold pants (my favorite).

Generally speaking I like it when teams from a city share a colour scheme, but I also don't want to see every city in R/W/B. The NFL already has the Pats, Bills, Giants, Texans, and Titans using those colours.

Also, I didn't say it before, but I really like all of the logos you've got here! The modernizations of the spear and the feathers are really solid, the 'W' motif is cool, especially for a team with the initials "WW", and as others have said, the DC football is a really nice touch. I always like logos with flags.

Archived