Rochester Red Wings retro concept

chestnutz

Hey guys! I'm back with another Rochester one-color rebrand and wanted to share. This time I took on the Red Wings, one of the oldest professional sports teams in America. I drew inspiration from the team's look of the mid-century, and completely abandoned all other colors - they're the RED Wings after all, and I'll never forgive them for joining the BFBS crowd.

Wanted to keep a retro feel for everything, while also keeping it tied to my Royals concept for city-consistency (like a similar wordmark). The primary logo is my version of the ball and wing they used to often use, while also taking notes from the 80s art-deco style logo they had. Some alternate logos stemmed out from that!

spacer.png

The uniforms take a lot from some of my favorite Wings unis of the past, like that beautiful sleeve monostripe home jersey. I binged Ken Burns' Baseball quickly and love Ebbetts Field Flannels, so I wanted to go for that mid-century look. Kept it pretty simple and old school, wish more teams would even now!

spacer.png

Here's some of the moodboard of Red Wings past that I took inspiration from (featuring Bartolo Colon in a terrible black jersey, because it deserves to be seen)

spacer.png

Finally, a different kind of uniform template than what may usually be posted here - but I also do a lot of kids illustration stuff, so here are some models for the new team look! 

spacer.png

Thanks y'all, hope you like!

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

The vintage feel you bring to your concepts gives so much life to the work you do. I enjoy the simplicity of the logos and have to say that I wish their primary was used more in the brand because it is so strong (but it is baseball after all, so the use of it on one cap seems accurate).

I love your take on a template, and envy your ability to produce such a diverse set of visuals for us. I would kill to have that as a photoshop template for any sport, but realize that is close to not possible and that gives the template some more charm. It does what most templates do not, making the creation tangible and bringing character to them by putting them on, well, characters. I'd buy it if you did it. Especially a hockey one. Unbelievable work!

This is great! The winged baseball logo is really clever. I like the half-button-up/henley style of the alternate jersey, but the logo and number on opposite sides of the chest feels off to me. I think there could be room to go with a script there, even if it's without a number. I'd also like to see some separation between the stripe running down the sleeve and the logo on the cuff of the home jersey. It's there on the kids illustration, but not on the mockup.

Those are the only nits I have to pick. Great stuff! 

Ah yes, this is some gooood stuff.

As soon as I saw retro design I clicked, and when I saw it was you I got excited. 

I love your style, as I'm an old-school design guy myself (and a moodboard guy), and you used it to near perfection once again here.

The scripts are absurdly good, and the winged R is pure chunky class.

The badges, the cute template as well, are also flippin' perfect.

There's nothing wrong with it per se, but I'm not feeling the primary personally, esp. as a primary. I much prefer the alternate winged ball as a primary, perhaps with an optional word mark above or below it. Again, its personal taste, it just didn't click for me, but it's not a bad logo whatsoever and I don't expect you to change the nucleus of your concept. But imo the two winged ball, thats your bullseye.

GREAT work as usual though @chestnutz and needless to say, moar!

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

You literally pulled out a trick out of the magic hat and it came out perfectly great! These are nicer "downgrade" for the Red Wings and yet these are probably the best sets that a team should adopt. Logos and wordmarks are purely well done. Great works!

Alamo%2BBowl_sig.png

Liberty Bowl_sig.png

FEAR THE FROG! LET'S GO TCU!!

Wow thank you for all the love guys! I really appreciate it, wasn't sure how this one would be received. I must say I'm humbled to come back here after years of hiatus and have members I admired way back when I was in high school enjoy my work! Cheers for taking the time to let me know your thoughts y'all.

8 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

This is a terrific identity system for the Red Wings. Absolutely gorgeous. Phenomenal work!!!

By the way, is that young southpaw about to uncork a "spitter"? 

Thanks Brian! Ha, that may or may not be me as a lefty pitcher trying to sling curves unsuccessfully when I was 12. But coaches in little league never look out for the foreign substances, it's too easy!

8 hours ago, TheHealthiestScratch said:

The vintage feel you bring to your concepts gives so much life to the work you do. I enjoy the simplicity of the logos and have to say that I wish their primary was used more in the brand because it is so strong (but it is baseball after all, so the use of it on one cap seems accurate).

I love your take on a template, and envy your ability to produce such a diverse set of visuals for us. I would kill to have that as a photoshop template for any sport, but realize that is close to not possible and that gives the template some more charm. It does what most templates do not, making the creation tangible and bringing character to them by putting them on, well, characters. I'd buy it if you did it. Especially a hockey one. Unbelievable work!

Really appreciate the kind words! I definitely struggled with how best to incorporate all the logos and the hierarchy of em - this really just started out as a little sketch of the primary and branched out so I wanted to include them all here. I'm glad you enjoyed my take on a uniform template! It certainly crossed my mind how to make this into a blank template for others at points. Maybe someday with that goal in mind I can set out to make a vector one like this. Thanks again!

7 hours ago, officeglenn said:

This is great! The winged baseball logo is really clever. I like the half-button-up/henley style of the alternate jersey, but the logo and number on opposite sides of the chest feels off to me. I think there could be room to go with a script there, even if it's without a number. I'd also like to see some separation between the stripe running down the sleeve and the logo on the cuff of the home jersey. It's there on the kids illustration, but not on the mockup.

Those are the only nits I have to pick. Great stuff! 

Dude thanks! I definitely just kind of ad-libbed the alternate collar and I liked how it turned out - no idea how it would look in real life though. Definitely fair nits to pick! Honestly, a script on that jersey would probably look sick, so you're right there. But per my response above I was looking for any excuse to put the primary logo somewhere, lol. I think you're right on the stripe too - it does look better in the illustration, hadn't even noticed!

6 hours ago, Bruins said:

Ah yes, this is some gooood stuff.

As soon as I saw retro design I clicked, and when I saw it was you I got excited. 

I love your style, as I'm an old-school design guy myself (and a moodboard guy), and you used it to near perfection once again here.

The scripts are absurdly good, and the winged R is pure chunky class.

The badges, the cute template as well, are also flippin' perfect.

There's nothing wrong with it per se, but I'm not feeling the primary personally, esp. as a primary. I much prefer the alternate winged ball as a primary, perhaps with an optional word mark above or below it. Again, its personal taste, it just didn't click for me, but it's not a bad logo whatsoever and I don't expect you to change the nucleus of your concept. But imo the two winged ball, thats your bullseye.

GREAT work as usual though @chestnutz and needless to say, moar!

Thanks man. I know we've got similar inspirations, we gotta keep that old school energy alive! I totally get what you're saying about the "primary" logo. So many times I looked at it and didn't think it'd be strong enough to carry a brand or whatever on its own. A little sketch of that in my notebook spurred this concept though, and you know how it goes, sometimes those artistic blinders hone in on the first thing you come up with. But yeah, I was unsure of it which is probably the reason I kept coming up with other little variants and alternates that stemmed from it. I'm glad the two winged one registers well though! I call it the golden snitch haha. Some ideas have been percolating for some other teams but work's crazy...we'll see about more!!

5 hours ago, jbird669 said:

This is really awesome. Well done!

Cheers!

5 hours ago, JMtexan09 said:

You literally pulled out a trick out of the magic hat and it came out perfectly great! These are nicer "downgrade" for the Red Wings and yet these are probably the best sets that a team should adopt. Logos and wordmarks are purely well done. Great works!

I'm all in for teams adopting simpler looks - luckily it seems a lot of teams across sports are abandoning all those bells and whistles of the 2000s. It's a thin line between being too bland and generic though. Glad you like em!

5 hours ago, HRC4 said:

My 7 year old son approves of the illustration at the bottom. Very clean. Very well executed. Zero complaints.

Perfect, the secondary target audience is satisfied. Thank you both!

spacer.png

Those logos are simply phenomenal. I don't know enough about the Rochester Red Wings' history to know if the subtle "R" built into the logos is your original idea or not (looking at the mood board, it seems like it was), but it's an absolute stroke of genius.

Very nice work! Love the simplicity of it all. The script wordmarks are well done. Great choice on number selection in regards to the font. 
I haven’t been on the forums for a while, but so glad I came across this. Def one of the best concepts I’ve seen on here. 

spacer.png

On 6/25/2020 at 9:29 PM, bcon_731 said:

@chestnutz your logos looks hella solid, hatclub needs to reach out, you’d sellout in minutes. Great work! 

23 hours ago, charliehustle said:

Yes! Hat Club or Clink room or someone please!

Thanks guys! Hadn't heard of Hat Club, and haven't checked out Clink Room in YEARS, still looks like some awesome stuff is being posted there. Appreciate the support, though not sure I'll end up submitting anything!

On 6/28/2020 at 9:40 AM, OmegaRed said:

Very nice work! Love the simplicity of it all. The script wordmarks are well done. Great choice on number selection in regards to the font. 
I haven’t been on the forums for a while, but so glad I came across this. Def one of the best concepts I’ve seen on here. 

Thank you dude, means a lot! Glad you dug the numbers, I'm obsessed with that font and am trying to use it on all my Rochester ones.

On 6/26/2020 at 9:25 AM, WLD42 said:

Those logos are simply phenomenal. I don't know enough about the Rochester Red Wings' history to know if the subtle "R" built into the logos is your original idea or not (looking at the mood board, it seems like it was), but it's an absolute stroke of genius.

It was something that just happened while scribbling wings and noticing an R was hidden in that shape, surprised they never tried something like it before. Initially I wanted to do a way more detailed wing for it, but my skillset is limited there. Cheers!

spacer.png

10 minutes ago, chestnutz said:

It was something that just happened while scribbling wings and noticing an R was hidden in that shape, surprised they never tried something like it before. Initially I wanted to do a way more detailed wing for it, but my skillset is limited there. Cheers!

Looks miles better minimalist than detailed would, IMO.

• 1 year later...

I really like your work, @chestnutz ...Your pennant series was a treat.

You've nailed the retro look with this logo set...very clean & consistent.

The double-winged baseball is brilliant.

Looking forward to more of your unique blend of illustration & design.

Archived