Sign in to follow this  
SportsLogos.Net News

Oregon, Oregon State Rivalry Will No Longer Reference Civil War

Nothing was ever as obnoxious as Big Ten grads acting like Nebraska joining their sports club turned all their universities into diploma mills.

Maybe they'll change is to the War on the Willamette? Can't think of anything significantly geographic separating the two. Both are in between the 44th and 45th parallels, and only Route 99W seems to travel between both cities.

Didn't realize they were only about 50 miles apart, and both in the extreme western part of the state.

Yeah, it's sort of like Oklahoma and Oklahoma State in that regard.

I remember when the Texas-OU series had to be changed from "Red River Shootout" to "Red River Rivalry" because of gun violence, which, well, missionaccomplished.jpg on that one too

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Nothing was ever as obnoxious as Big Ten grads acting like Nebraska joining their sports club turned all their universities into diploma mills.

The audacity to include a school that isn't a member of the AAU! Next thing you know they'll be adding community colleges

1 hour ago, slapshot said:

Maybe they'll change is to the War on the Willamette? Can't think of anything significantly geographic separating the two. Both are in between the 44th and 45th parallels, and only Route 99W seems to travel between both cities.

Didn't realize they were only about 50 miles apart, and both in the extreme western part of the state.

Unrelated, but it amuses me how often that's the case. Just right off the top of my head...

- Kansas University and K-State are about 80 miles from each other, up in the northeast portion of Kansas, both within 120 miles of KC proper (which is saying something because once you pass Topeka going west or south, you finna hit a whole lotta nada--except for Wichita way down south).

- North Dakota State and NDSU, same thing--both are about 80 miles apart, both right on the eastern border of the state, in Fargo and Grand Forks, respectively (leaving practically the entire rest of the state to the west wide open).

- Even here in South Dakota...South Dakota State is 50 miles north up the road in Brookings; USD is about 50 miles the other way down in Vermillion, both again pretty much on the eastern border (and in the case of USD, pretty much in what I call the "toenail" of the state, not unlike Evansville in Indiana).

I'm sure there are other examples--but let's get back to the Ducks and the Beavs 😁

UNC and NC State are both in the Raleigh area. U of I and Illinois State are about 50 miles apart, but they're both downstate, closer to each other than to the rest of civilization.

Ohio State/Ohio University and Michigan/Michigan State are both within 100 miles of each other as well. Lots of states do not have very even population distribution and proximity tends to amplify rivalries if anything, so it's not a shocking trend.

2 hours ago, sportsfan7 said:

The audacity to include a school that isn't a member of the AAU! Next thing you know they'll be adding community colleges

That's their view towards Cincinnati unfortunately. 

While I understand that "civil war" can refer to any internecine conflict, it's unusual that it wound up in Oregon, when you would expect it in either 

1) a state where the two universities are clearly in the northern and southern parts of the state, hence, a clear allusion to the American Civil War

2) a border state like Missouri or Kentucky.

It doesn't mean anything to me because I don't live out west and I don't like college sports, let's just not pretend this is improving anyone's material conditions. It's cheap talk and you get what you pay for.

the only reason I have had any interest in this game is will it be color vs color. I had no idea it had an official name. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

57 minutes ago, osctheg said:

SJW's gotta SJW

spacer.png

This isn’t “did you just assume it’s gender?” or “all males are evil.” This is a pair of organizations changing up a name due to a particularly heated time in race relations at the moment. It’s not tumblr folks here.

1 minute ago, SFGiants58 said:

spacer.png

This isn’t “did you just assume it’s gender?” or “all males are evil.” This is a pair of organizations changing up a name due to a particularly heated time in race relations at the moment. It’s not tumblr folks here.

No, this is the same thing as changing the Aunt Jemima logo. Or tearing down an Abraham Lincoln statue because it was somehow "racist". Who in the hell was offended or cared about this?

On 6/26/2020 at 9:39 PM, Bobster said:

"a war between opposing groups of citizens of the same country"

It doesn't necessarily mean the American Civil War.

But I'm sure an institute of higher learning knows that already....

Ooo!  I’ve got one too!

noun
  1. destruction or slaughter on a mass scale, especially caused by fire or nuclear war.

And yet, despite those dry words, when you capitalize it everybody knows you’re taking about one specific Holocaust.

The Civil War they're referencing was literally a fight against white supremacy.  Not exactly the kind of thing we should be making light of by associating with a college football game. 

5 minutes ago, osctheg said:

No, this is the same thing as changing the Aunt Jemima logo. Or tearing down an Abraham Lincoln statue because it was somehow "racist". Who in the hell was offended or cared about this?

The Lincoln thing is an exception (idiots just wanting to trash stuff).

Maybe if you’ve been paying attention to the news, this country is in the middle of a particularly sensitive time in regards to race and race relations. Recognizing how things can be an issue is a part of anti-racist activity. It’s a very small part (hence missionaccomplished.jpg), but it is a step forward to get people to question these things. 

1 minute ago, SFGiants58 said:

The Lincoln thing is an exception (idiots just wanting to trash stuff).

Maybe if you’ve been paying attention to the news, this country is in the middle of a particularly sensitive time in regards to race and race relations. Recognizing how things can be an issue is a part of anti-racist activity. It’s a very small part (hence missionaccomplished.jpg), but it is a step forward to get people to question these things. 

If there was an actual issue here, I would agree. It's a college rivalry game. Who gives a :censored: if it's named the Civil War? I guess Captain America is canceled next.

6 minutes ago, osctheg said:

It's a college rivalry game. Who gives a :censored:

So why do you?

2 minutes ago, osctheg said:

If there was an actual issue here, I would agree. It's a college rivalry game. Who gives a :censored: if it's named the Civil War? I guess Captain America is canceled next.

Like I said, it’s two universities covering their asses. While the racial relations context is understandable, it could also be because the D1 universities really don’t want you to think about how their athletes (in the “money” sports, anyway) are basically indentured servants who are ineligible to make money for their talents (I.e., move to the pros) during peak years.  

Also, “cancelled?” That’s stuff used to bully people who made racist or transphobic comments a decade ago and didn’t think to delete them.

6 minutes ago, IceCap said:

So why do you?

Do I? I was just pointing out how pointless it is. Being a WSU fan, I don't actually care if they change the name. I just hope the apples out there don't force the Apple cup to be changed.

11 minutes ago, osctheg said:

Do I?

Seem like you do.

11 minutes ago, osctheg said:

I just hope the apples out there don't force the Apple cup to be changed.

Apples aren't people.