The Rebrands that Almost Were: A What-If Series

mattr1198

Hi all,

Recently I was browsing the internet and noticed a lot of teams had rejected rebrands or renames that never quite made it to the final product but were awfully close. Thus, I felt it would be cool to do a design series on those rejected rebrands. There are two categories of brand rejection that I will be going into:

1) The rejected brand names either during a team creation or name change (8 teams, 2 in each sport)

2) Teams whose relocations fell through and never happened (4 teams, 1 in each sport)

Hope you like this series. Without further ado, let's start this one off with what would've been one of the worst and most outdated team names in all of sports:

Rocky Mountain Extreme (1995: Would be branded as the Colorado Avalanche instead)

The logo is based directly off concept images for what would have been the logo for the Rocky Mountain Extreme. I updated and refined some aspects of the logo and applied the Avs color scheme to it as well. The uniforms are also partially based on the design of the Avs uniforms originally, but made some alterations to make the appearance more 90s (namely the rough, snowy font).

spacer.png

0562Gcs.gif

LZyBbq9.gif

59d079d580ab2_SL.netbannercopy.gif.b34a0491e0c5e4344fa6fc764ec2043e.gif

NYC x STL

Where’s the Mountain Dew ad?  It’s not xtreme enough. 

would be cool to do other team names that didn’t happen. I remember reading different ones for teams across the nhl that one name won fan voting but ownership did something else anyway

On 6/28/2020 at 9:02 PM, B-mer said:

Where’s the Mountain Dew ad?  It’s not xtreme enough. 

would be cool to do other team names that didn’t happen. I remember reading different ones for teams across the nhl that one name won fan voting but ownership did something else anyway

That's what this series is for!

NYC x STL

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delays in continuing this series. For now, I am not going to be doing uniforms for the teams I work on due to time constraints, but I will continue with the logos and hopefully teach you about the teams and moves that never were. I will also be doing this by league, so the two other NHL teams in this series aside from Colorado (one unused name and one near-relocation) will come first, before moving onto the other three leagues. Without further ado, we have:

Sasktatoon Blues (1983: Relocation of the St. Louis Blues to Saskatoon, SK fell through after failed sale of team): I incorporated a more "S" shaped design (to represent Saskatoon and Saskatchewan) and brought the Blues more bulbous design from the 80s into the fray too.

tzrgDXC.gif

NYC x STL

Archived