Under Armour Attempting To Terminate Apparel Contracts With Cal Golden Bears, UCLA Bruins

Under Armour Attempting To Terminate Apparel Contracts With Cal Golden Bears, UCLA Bruins

June 30, 2020 - 21:04 PM

Citing a lack of marketing benefits and financial difficulties associated with coronavirus outbreak, Under Armour recently announced plans to terminate lucrative apparel contracts with the University of California, Berkeley, and the University of California, Los Angeles.  “We have been paying for marketing benefits that we have not received for an

Read More...

• 2 weeks later...

I could see this coming a mile away.  UA massively overextended itself trying to compete with Nike, and now that approach has backfired big time. In the long run this will now likely mean less apparel money for schools since there probably won't be any massive bidding wars anymore.

6 minutes ago, mjd77 said:

I could see this coming a mile away.  UA massively overextended itself trying to compete with Nike, and now that approach has backfired big time.

They went from being a never discounted premium brand to assorted everywhere with discounts constant.

2 hours ago, SCL said:

They went from being a never discounted premium brand to assorted everywhere with discounts constant.

Always felt they could compete with Jordan brand, when really they are closer to Adidas. Never thought any of the apparel was anything special.

8 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

Always felt they could compete with Jordan brand, when really they are closer to Adidas. Never thought any of the apparel was anything special.

was ua ever a cool brand?..I feel like they didn't even achieve reebok level popularity.

13 minutes ago, guest23 said:

was ua ever a cool brand?..I feel like they didn't even achieve reebok level popularity.

When I was in high school and college they seemed pretty popular. Right after they started branching out from cold/hot gear and started producing everything else. I just remember thinking it was always too expensive and most was pretty boring. Just because you set a high price point doesn't mean people are automatically going to think it's better. Which seemed to be their business model.

But who knows, Champion is now considered a "cool" brand. Who knows what will happen to UA. 

42 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

When I was in high school and college they seemed pretty popular. Right after they started branching out from cold/hot gear and started producing everything else. I just remember thinking it was always too expensive and most was pretty boring. Just because you set a high price point doesn't mean people are automatically going to think it's better. Which seemed to be their business model.

But who knows, Champion is now considered a "cool" brand. Who knows what will happen to UA. 

Plus UA rarely had discounts...they figured people would always be willing to pay the premium. Whoops.

(edit: saw SCL's post after I posted)

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

44 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

Adidas will buy them and do what they did with Reebok, acquire them for all the sports contracts and relegate it to a secondary "premium" brand. 

2 hours ago, guest23 said:

Maybe not popularity but their quality was really good, that’s why I took the advantage of buying a ton of work out stuff today for rediculous LT cheap, they didn’t have the sliders of theirs I liked but everything else is great

So, kids...let this be a lesson in "stick to your core competency" and "don't go chasing waterfalls, just stick to the rivers and the lakes that you're used to" or--okay, maybe just "don't think of [one]self more highly than [one] ought".  Most of us are old enough to remember when UA was simply an undergarment/compression gear supplier that eventually branched out to a full line of athletic and workout gear, to include shoes.  It's okay to dream and take chances in life, but you better also know how to count the cost in doing so. Jumping up into the big leagues with Nike and Adidas so soon was, in hindsight, a reach too far--or at least reaching out past Maryland and South Carolina. What was it, about a ten-year turnaround from the time UA was founded until the time they began outfitting Maryland and then SC? (My history may be fuzzy but I know someone on here knows the details.)

That said...as one who still does favor UA workout gear, now that I know there's a sale going on, I hope I can find a UA store before the good stuff is all gone....

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

"WE MUST PROTECT THIS HOUSE!"

Of cards, apparently...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

9 hours ago, floydnimrod said:

Under Armour seemed like they were on top of the sports world just five years ago. Three of their athletes - Cam Newton, Steph Curry, Jordan Spieth - were arguably the top athletes in their respective sports. This is absolutely wild.

It was always a house of cards though.

The logo is horrible, the designs were boring, they way overextended themselves, their entire demographic was basically 7-15 year old boys and middle aged men, and their star athletes didn’t have personalities that appealed to their weak demos (Curry and Cam were incredibly popular with little kids but never reached LeBron/Kobe/Griffey status of ubiquity)

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

On 7/10/2020 at 3:47 PM, WSU151 said:

Plus UA rarely had discounts...they figured people would always be willing to pay the premium. Whoops.

(edit: saw SCL's post after I posted)

That's why I liked going to the outlet stores to buy my gear. I always got my military discount which was better than most discounts offered on current items. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• 2 weeks later...

I used to call tons of the athletic apparel just "under armour" even when it was a different brand. Now I just call it all dri-fit. Nike won the battle for me.

Under Armour I think just never had the staying power to keep up with the nike and adidas. its a shame because their stuff was actually pretty good.

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

5 minutes ago, flyersfan said:

I used to call tons of the athletic apparel just "under armour" even when it was a different brand. Now I just call it all dri-fit. Nike won the battle for me.

Everyone on my high school football team (2004-07) called their cold gear "Under Armour," even if it was the generic Walmart brand. 

On 7/24/2020 at 1:11 PM, AndrewMLind said:

Everyone on my high school football team (2004-07) called their cold gear "Under Armour," even if it was the generic Walmart brand. 

Yeah and that's exactly my point, they were synonymous with that style, and once Nike and Adidas also made stuff of the same kind, they started losing that draw. 

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

Archived