Bill81361

Cleveland Indians Also Reviewing Their Team Name

If nothing else, this is a great opportunity to replace one of the most dull identities in baseball. I see it as a win-win.

Plus a team with historical names to draw on, it looks like Spiders is #1 according to the odds makers. They can maintain the block C while adding an alternate logo with spider. I've always liked the Richmond identity and this could be similar.

Spiders or Guardians are my picks. 

Earl's (Earl Averill)

Lumberjacks (Forest City nickname)

Blues

Napoleons (Nap LaJoie)

Buckeyes (Negro League team)

Rapids (Bob Feller)

Buckeyes probably won't happen due to the success of Ohio State teams, but I like Earls or Lumberjacks. I don't like Spiders but I have a feeling they'll be what's picked if a name change happens. 

Commodores

Blues

Spiders

Those are my tops, with "Rocks" or simply "Cleveland Baseball Club" also feeling acceptable. Not into "Guardians" or "Baseball Browns"

Hope they follow through. This could be an opportunity to breathe life into a dulling brand and, hopefully, bring some much needed new colors into the MLB.

I would hope Spiders is what's chosen, despite its pitiful history, it would make for one of the more interesting brands in sports hopefully

In order of my preference:

Spiders

Dobys (for Larry Doby, the most important player in team history - the first African-American in the AL who is so unfairly ignored)

Forests

Commodores

Guardians

Rocks/Rockers

Barons (the old NHL name, just ask the Sharks or Stars or the NHL for the trademark)

Owls (just because it'd be nice for one Big Four team to have that name)

Founders (for being a founding franchise of the American League)

24 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Spiders

Dobys (for Larry Doby, the most important player in team history - the first African-American in the AL who is so unfairly ignored)

Forests

Commodores

Guardians

Rocks/Rockers

Barons (the old NHL name, just ask the Sharks or Stars or the NHL for the trademark)

Good callout, Dobys would be a great choice as well. 

Spiders is the obvious choice, here, but I do actually think the name "Blues" is a good shout as a nod to the long history the rhythm and blues genre has with Cleveland, and a nod to the city's past in the MLB; plus, a musically-themed identity is something no other MLB team has. The only quibble might by if St. Louis over in the NHL would play hardball.

I’ve always appreciated how tight of a relationship the Spokane Indians have with the Spokane tribe... if the Cleveland Indians partner with a local tribe in the same way I don’t see an issue with the name. It’s insane to me how long Chief Wahoo lasted... clearly a caricature and I’m not sure why some people were playing the history card when the team is historically quite bad and possibly even cursed (blown two WS Game 7s).

36 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Spiders

Forests

Commodores

Guardians

Rocks/Rockers

I bet designers/brand developers would love to get their hooks into the Rockers/Rocks.

Again, I appreciate the civility of this conversation so far. But as with the Washington NFL franchise, we can have a thread if and when a change is made. Otherwise, the forum rule stands of no discussion of indigenous team naming controversies.