Edmonton CFL team rebrands as "Elks"

Sec19Row53

3 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

The Kraken could have sold a billion jerseys over Christmas 2020. I have no idea why they're waiting until the fall. They lost an entire seasons worth of holiday spending.

Hello Seattle sports fan! Welcome to the cavalcade of bad and baffling decisions that is the National Hockey League! 

Please find time to check out the Money Pit affectionately nicknamed "the Arizona Coyotes." 

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, IceCap said:

Hello Seattle sports fan! Welcome to the cavalcade of bad and baffling decisions that is the National Hockey League! 

Please find time to check out the Money Pit affectionately nicknamed "the Arizona Coyotes." 

Also see the Eastern Money Pit affectionately nicknamed "the Florida Panthers", the managerial wasteland affectionately nicknamed "the Buffalo Sabres", the out-of-country Canadian Tirefire affectionately nicknamed "the Ottawa Senators" and the Northwestern Benning Pit affectionately nicknamed "the Vancouver Canucks". 😜

22 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Also see the Eastern Money Pit affectionately nicknamed "the Florida Panthers", the managerial wasteland affectionately nicknamed "the Buffalo Sabres", the out-of-country Canadian Tirefire affectionately nicknamed "the Ottawa Senators" and the Northwestern Benning Pit affectionately nicknamed "the Vancouver Canucks". 😜

Wouldn’t “the Ottawa Senators” be a Canadian Tire tire fire?

I can haz sig?

On 2/18/2021 at 2:38 PM, Ridleylash said:

What is this crap, #notallmoneypits? You're not even from there.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

19 minutes ago, the admiral said:

What is this crap, #notallmoneypits? You're not even from there.

Agreed. It’s like trying to list all of the failures of Ford’s 1959 lineup of cars to make the Edsel brand look better.

I love when Roman talks about mid-century Ford.

"The Coyotes are a financial house of cards yet again but have you considered that the Sabres fire their GMs often?": off-topic from Edmonton football, off-topic from sanity

• 3 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

Energy.

Please no.

I can picture the helmet looking like one of those plasma balls. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

I had a brain storm at work today.

Edmonton Ex-skimos

🙃

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

13 hours ago, monkeypower said:

Edmonton applied for two more name trademarks back at the beginning of the month.

Elks (note the plural this time) and Energy.

Energy will be a perfect name for when the CFL and XFL merge and become the CXFL.

I don't know, that doesn't fit the CFL to me at all, which, for a minor league, still has a lot of heritage brands. "Edmonton Energy" belongs in Junior A with the Fort McMurray Shale Busters or the Camrose Wow.

15 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I don't know, that doesn't fit the CFL to me at all, which, for a minor league, still has a lot of heritage brands. "Edmonton Energy" belongs in Junior A with the Fort McMurray Shale Busters or the Camrose Wow.

Agreed.  But it does fit with the XFL....unfortunately.

zzPEfBm.png

50 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Outside of the REDBLACKS, I think I would consider all of the CFL brands to be heritage brands. And even then, the Redblacks are apeing Ottawa's old CFL heritage brand.

The team timelines get a little funky pre-CFL/pre-football/pre-modern franchising standards, but all the teams have been their brands for a long time.

• The Lions have been the Lions since founding in 1954
  • The Stampeders have been the Stampeders since founding in 1945
  • The EE Football team officially founded in 1949, but had been the Eskimos since 1911 and can trace back to 1895 where they were called the Esquimaux in 1897
  • The Tiger-Cats officially founded in 1950, but started as the Hamilton Tigers in 1869 and merged with the (1941-1949) Hamilton Wildcats in 1950
  • The Alouettes have a Cleveland Browns thing going on where this current Alouettes team started in 1996, but the original Alouettes played from 1946-1987 which is considered the same franchise
  • The Roughriders started in 1910 and have been the Roughriders since 1924
  • The Argonauts have been in Toronto and been the Argonauts since 1873
  • The Blue Bombers officially founded in 1930 as a merger of rugby teams, the oldest of which started in 1879, and have been the Blue Bombers since 1935

None of those teams have (officially) relocated either, so they're all still in the same cities they started in.

The Tiger-Cats, the Argonauts and the Roughriders are three of the four oldest professional football teams and the Argonauts have the oldest, continuous use, team name in North American sports.

IbjBaeE.png

• 2 months later...

Archived