Edmonton CFL team rebrands as "Elks"

Sec19Row53

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

vrNiwXC.png

3 minutes ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

I assume they're still gonna rock the EE logo on the helmets and at midfield though?

This is a screenshot from the reveal video.

7nkrdMH.png

The assumption was they would keep the Double-E logo, but it looks like that may be retired or dropped to an alternate logo. We'll have to wait and see I guess.

IbjBaeE.png

This is exactly what they should've done and they killed it. The right name, a great logo, and an awesome new helmet. This is everything the Rams rebrand wasn't: an easy layup executed to near perfection.

the user formerly known as cdclt

5 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The name and the logo are great.  But dropping the EE helmet logo is a bad move.  

The antlers don't make for a good helmet logo.  If they weren't going to use the EE logo on the helmet, then they should have used the entire elk head logo.

Given that the CFL allows for teams to have multiple helmets it won't surprise me to see the classic EE as well as a different helmet with some iteration of the Elks logo on it at some point during the season.

10 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

A bit of a better look at the new helmet.

spacer.png

Love it.  Looks similar, but slightly inferior to my Lixil Deers.

IMG_3966.jpg

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

7 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The name and the logo are great.  But dropping the EE helmet logo is a bad move.  

The antlers don't make for a good helmet logo.  If they weren't going to use the EE logo on the helmet, then they should have used the entire elk head logo.

Gotta disagree fully here. They need to fully commit to launching the new name and logo.

They can always come back to the EE, put it on away ones, keep in on the jersey etc. I think the antler helmet looks great, if a little simple (but that's the trend nowadays), and everybody would screaming about what a missed opportunity it was if they didn't. It's the best part of the entire Elks brand.

Love the name.  Love the logo.  Not so strong on the helmet.  Maybe a white outline would help, or just stick with the EE logo on the helmet or the new logo on the helmet.  There is not enough to the antlers for me.  Not as strong as the  proposed Chicago Staggs antler helmets.  I think with a tweak or two it could be strong.  But the name and logo are great. 

17 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

I'd assume the reasoning behind "Elks" was that they could still use the EE logo. Probably just showing the antler helmet as an alternate and an example of how the new logo will be used.

Why would they do this? Why would they reveal a new brand with this helmet, and this helmet only, and not have it mean it was the new helmet? Doesn't make sense

There's also no little usage of the Double-E logo anywhere in the reveal or it any of  in one of the merch pictures.

The jersey there is their existing jersey and still has the old Edmonton wordmark on the chest (covering up the old Eskimos wordmark), so maybe the jerseys will be the same (with an updated wordmark).

IbjBaeE.png

1 minute ago, monkeypower said:

There's also no usage of the Double-E logo anywhere in the reveal or it any of the merch pictures.

E2zyRdiVkAES1CT?format=jpg&name=large

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Boy oh boy, this is really good. I love the thick lines, sharp angles, and simplicity of the shapes. It has the feel of the mid-1970s trend of geometric simplicity in logos, and that fits very well with the new wordmark and existing "EE." I'm specifically reminded of the WHA's Michigan Stags:

spacer.png

They'll likely be getting some of my money.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived