Edmonton CFL team rebrands as "Elks"

Sec19Row53

6 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

But I didn't think the plan was to use the EE as a transition logo. It seemed like they were tailoring the rebrand in a way that would allow them to keep the logo.

I don't have a problem with the horns on the helmet (although I think the execution could be better), but my whole point was, why limit the nickname options to EE acronyms if you're just going to ditch the logo?

They're not ditching it though, it still works as a secondary logo. No reason to drop such a long-lived brand, people are still gonna want merch with the EE on it.

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • officeglenn changed the title to Edmonton CFL team rebrands as "Elks"

Out F’ing Standing. I love that “70’s NHL style” logo, and pretty much everything about this. I have no attachment to the previous name so I don’t know how well it’ll be received locally, but I love what they did here. It looks like they’ve been the Elks for decades - not just since 2021. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

12 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Nicely done.  Geez, WFT, how hard is it? Pick a name and move on, jackasses.

I would think that it's really hard.

I find it difficult to compare the situation in Washington with the Edmonton rebrand. Other than the underlying reasons behind the rebrand, Edmonton had a much easier decision to make. Even on these boards, some version of Elk/Elks was the overwhelming favorite. It turns out fan sentiment was similar. 

The Edmonton team had an obvious choice right in front of them. It's a name that not only allows for the continued "EE" alliteration from their Eskimos days, but it's also appropriate for their region and Canada and unique in North American pro sports. 

In this case, making the wrong decision would've been hard to do.

WFT doesn't have as clear of a choice in front of it. There is no obvious, seamless replacement in their case, at least not the way there was for Edmonton. I wish that weren't the case.

The better comparison, however, would be the Cleveland baseball team. I know someone mentioned it earlier, but it feels like there's a strong corollary between this rebrand and the opportunity Cleveland has before it to readopt the Spiders. It's sitting right there in front of them. 

For the love of all that is holy, don't make this into a WFT thread.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

I'm not sure I agree with that.

That's to say, I'm not sure I favor one over the other — i'm glad both exist. I think it shows the diversity and depth of the mark, and certainly helps in merchandising to have two very versatile variants of the logo. 

Personally, I'd say the two-color version makes me pause a minute before I realize what I'm looking at. The three-color version, though, seems much clearer to me. But I'm a dolt, so take that for what it's worth.

However, on a similar point, I think the antler helmet actually suffers from being only two colors. To me, it lacks dimension.  I'm generally a fan of simplifying everything, but I think the antler could actually use some help in this case. 

I’m on the side of 3 colo(u)rs on the logos. I feel the 2-tone is lacking in contrast. I think white enhances the logo and feel like it would look good on the helmet too.

gYH2mW9.png

Congratulations to the Edmonton Elks on their great new name & brand while keeping the EE and green & gold tradition alive.🔰🏈 Having elk horns on the helmet give the CFL some variety in its overall brand. There are enough helmet letter logos in the CFL anyway. The Elks' helmets have an LA Rams and Philadelphia Eagles feel to them.

It's refreshing to have a rebrand/redesign that just nails it and doesn't find a way to mess everything up trying to be "innovative".

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Archived