Edmonton CFL team rebrands as "Elks"

Sec19Row53

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow - I'm loving this a lot more than I thought I would. It's a great name, and the logo is a real beauty. Also antlers on the helmets à la Rams? Sign me up.

Bravo, Edmonton. You really kicked it out of the stadium (football joke).

Design style reminds me of the new Alouettes stuff - wonder if they went with the same design firm, given how well Montreal's new look was received...

2 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

And it would have to be Epossums for the team to retain its EE logo. ;)

Do these Epossums get basement dweller simps to pay them ungodly amounts of money to sniff their socks?

(bad joke, I’ll see myself out)

Welp.... (sighs) I can already tell this is an unpopular opinion. I'm not feeling the antlers as a helmet logo. I see they're going for an LA Rams type thing, but it just doesn't work for me. Reminds me of when the University of Buffalo used to have bull horn decals on their helmets (as well as USF's more recent attempt at that). I get it, but naw.  Ram horns make a better helmet decal than other animal horns/antlers do 🤷🏾‍♂️

Personally I think the full elk head would make a much better helmet logo.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

2 hours ago, CS85 said:

Anyone who thinks the EE is better than the elk horn is objectively wrong and I will brook no rebuttal.

What would be better on the helmet than the EE logo is the full elk head logo.  But the EE is a better helmet logo than the antlers.  I am not digging that helmet.

Even still, that's a quibble considering the whole package.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

3 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

What would be better on the helmet than the EE logo is the full elk head logo.  But the EE is a better helmet logo than the antlers.  I am not digging that helmet.

Even still, that's a quibble considering the whole package.

I like the elk logo idea, but I still think the antlers would work if they added more depth.  I use this for comparison. Picture a yellow helmet, with the green instead of red and blue and the white added as well. spacer.png

3 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

Welp.... (sighs) I can already tell this is an unpopular opinion. I'm not feeling the antlers as a helmet logo. I see they're going for an LA Rams type thing, but it just doesn't work for me. Reminds me of when the University of Buffalo used to have bull horn decals on their helmets (as well as USF's more recent attempt at that). I get it, but naw.  Ram horns make a better helmet decal than other animal horns/antlers do 🤷🏾‍♂️

Personally I think the full elk head would make a much better helmet logo.

The antlers seem a bit understated on the helmets. Elks have gigantic antlers, the decals could be bigger and heavier.

I prefer the EE logo on the helmets, but the antlers are fine, and unique.

7 minutes ago, WideRight said:

I like the elk logo idea, but I still think the antlers would work if they added more depth.

What I don't like about the Elks' antlers is not the lack of depth; indeed, I like that it is in pure 2D.  What I don't like is the positioning.  I think the antler logo would look better if it were lower and more horizontal.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Just now, steve61 said:

They sort of did.  Each antler has an E in the points.  It's more obvious on the football shaped secondary

I mean using the EE from the previous set that’s still technically part of the current set 

9 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

I mean using the EE from the previous set that’s still technically part of the current set 

Gotcha. That could be interesting.  I think I'm a fan of  anything that gets away from letter logos on CFL helmets which were extremely overdone until the recent upgrades from Montreal, Toronto and now Edmonton.   

zzPEfBm.png

3 hours ago, AgentColon2 said:

A minor miracle. 

edit: Since they seem to have retired the EE logo they should have gone all in and reversed the helmet/logo colors.

Is there a source where you've read they are retiring the EE? Obviously there is merch available with it on there. I'm assuming it'll be a secondary/throwback/alternate type of logo used.

3 minutes ago, Skycast said:

Is there a source where you've read they are retiring the EE? Obviously there is merch available with it on there. I'm assuming it'll be a secondary/throwback/alternate type of logo used.

Double-E was tweaked, but isn't going away completely. From the previous page of this thread:

2 hours ago, Popmart said:

There's your answer Fish Bulb.

Happy that the EE is sticking around and that it's flat with no bevels or extraneous outlines.

I just googled Edmonton Elks, and their official website (still called esks.com, but redirecting to merely a static image on goelks.com) was on page 3 of the results.  Page 3.  I got links to various twitters, articles about the name change on ESPN and TSN, and even Elks Lodges before finding the team's official site.  Their official site is "powered by Word Press".  I was expecting something a little more polished - especially after a year-long rebranding effort.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

15 minutes ago, BBTV said:

I just googled Edmonton Elks, and their official website (still called esks.com, but redirecting to merely a static image on goelks.com) was on page 3 of the results.  Page 3.  I got links to various twitters, articles about the name change on ESPN and TSN, and even Elks Lodges before finding the team's official site.  Their official site is "powered by Word Press".  I was expecting something a little more polished - especially after a year-long rebranding effort.

Isn't that an algorithm  problem though?  The name is too new to be high in the rankings.

Out of curiosity, I googled their old name, and the first result was the official site.  Pretty sure that the new name will be up there soon.

Archived