Edmonton CFL team rebrands as "Elks"

Sec19Row53

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought Elks was chosen because begins with an E, great way to keep the classic double E, but they ditch the EE.

Not sure I understand what they did, The new logo is OK, the helmet is a bit dull IMHO.

42 minutes ago, bleuet said:

I thought Elks was chosen because begins with an E, great way to keep the classic double E, but they ditch the EE.

Not sure I understand what they did, The new logo is OK, the helmet is a bit dull IMHO.

Read before commenting, this has been addressed several times here. The classic EE HAS NOT BEEN DITCHED.

This turned out much better than I expected. I really thought they would keep the 'EE' on the helmet, but I guess if they want to new identity, you might as do as much distancing from the old identity as possible. Let's see how the uniforms turn out.

I saw, I came, I left.

6 hours ago, monkeypower said:

vrNiwXC.png

7nkrdMH.png

6 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

spacer.png

6 hours ago, officeglenn said:

(This whole thread breaks down the new identity quite nicely.)

Daaaannnnngg, folk...Edmonton went full Zangief and hit the Final Atomic Buster on this rebrand!!!

latest?cb=20171205210500

It is so difficult to reduce an otherwise complex form down to the simplest most basic elements, and yet they managed to pull this off without looking cheesy, contrived, or half-baked (take notes, LA Rams!).  I want to see their updated uniforms...I think I probably would've preferred they kept it to just green and yellow, but so long as they keep the white to tertiary trim status, I think they'll be alright. That Elk head logo, though...gorgeous.  

Speaking of, to @4_tattoos's point, yeah I could completely see that logo working on the helmet, but I get why they went the antler route--they almost kinda couldn't not go that way. This is right up at the top with the best of the most recent sports rebrands for me.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

2 hours ago, steve61 said:

Gotcha. That could be interesting.  I think I'm a fan of  anything that gets away from letter logos on CFL helmets which were extremely overdone until the recent upgrades from Montreal, Toronto and now Edmonton.   

Primary logos too. We're now up to 2/9 without a letter/word in the logo!

The Edmonton Elks is a magnificent rebrand for a Canadian Football team. I love it even more than their previous name.

Helmet antlers are a great addition. It finally gives them something of their own, away from that Green Bay Packers lookalike helmet. Classic inspired elements like the Eagles wings and the Bengals stripes. Now they have their own take on that. The folks in charge of rebranding pro sports have been on fire, nowadays. Chalk this one up with all the other successful rebrands from the last 2-3 years. (Sabres, Padres, etc)

On 6/1/2021 at 4:42 PM, steve61 said:

I think I'm a fan of  anything that gets away from letter logos on CFL helmets which were extremely overdone until the recent upgrades from Montreal, Toronto and now Edmonton.   

First of all, Montreal still has a letter logo; the letter is just incorporated into the bird design (which you cannot see due to stupid placement).

Secondly, Toronto's change is huge downgrade.  The simple A in the shield is their best logo.

Finally, I am appalled at the idea that getting away from letter logos is something that should be striven for.  Letter logos are severely underrepresented on football helmets, even though they look great on helmets (as well as translating beautifully to other applications, such as baseball caps and polo shirts).

Yes, there are a few clunkers: the WLAF's Montreal Machine; the USFL's LA Express.  But most letter logos in football are excellent.  In addition to the Argos' dearly departed logo, there are the logos of Giants, 49ers, Bears, Packers, and Chiefs, the XFL's LA Wildcats and the AAF's Birmingham Iron, the USFL's Houston Gamblers, the original XFL's Chicago Enforcers, New York Hitmen, and Las Vegas Outlaws, and the WLAF's London Monarchs.  I hunger for letter-based logos; I suppose that that is part of my disappointment with Edmonton's helmet, in addition to my being unimpressed with the look of the antler logo.  (Though I reiterate that I would have been perfectly happy with trading in the EE helmet logo for a helmet with the full elk head logo.)

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

1 hour ago, Skycast said:

Read before commenting, this has been addressed several times here. The classic EE HAS NOT BEEN DITCHED.

Drink some herbal tea.

If they kept the double E, thats excellent.

Possibly morbid sidenote: Now that elk is  somewhat on my mind, I can't help but wonder how elk taste. In the form of burgers, chili, ribs, pepper steak, meatloaf, sausage, meatballs, salisbury steak, etc. Always heard deer/venison taste better than beef. Going to assume that applies to elk  too (is elk meat also venison?).

It's barbecue season and this city boy wants to consume some new creatures. My sister-in-law is Jamaican and she hipped me to goat dishes this past year. Deer and elk are officially on my list.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

The name is cool. 

The logo just doesn't do it for me (the head/face/eye//ear/throat just looks horrible, IMO), neither do the thin antlers on the helmet.  Glad the EE is sticking around in some way. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

A team did what this message board told it to do and it actually worked out really, really well!

It's another Manitoba Moose Moment!

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I want to bump this post of mine from a couple months ago.

On 3/14/2021 at 2:29 PM, monkeypower said:

Outside of the REDBLACKS, I think I would consider all of the CFL brands to be heritage brands. And even then, the Redblacks are apeing Ottawa's old CFL heritage brand.

The team timelines get a little funky pre-CFL/pre-football/pre-modern franchising standards, but all the teams have been their brands for a long time.

• The Lions have been the Lions since founding in 1954
  • The Stampeders have been the Stampeders since founding in 1945
  • The EE Football team officially founded in 1949, but had been the Eskimos since 1911 and can trace back to 1895 where they were called the Esquimaux in 1897
  • The Tiger-Cats officially founded in 1950, but started as the Hamilton Tigers in 1869 and merged with the (1941-1949) Hamilton Wildcats in 1950
  • The Alouettes have a Cleveland Browns thing going on where this current Alouettes team started in 1996, but the original Alouettes played from 1946-1987 which is considered the same franchise
  • The Roughriders started in 1910 and have been the Roughriders since 1924
  • The Argonauts have been in Toronto and been the Argonauts since 1873
  • The Blue Bombers officially founded in 1930 as a merger of rugby teams, the oldest of which started in 1879, and have been the Blue Bombers since 1935

None of those teams have (officially) relocated either, so they're all still in the same cities they started in.

The Tiger-Cats, the Argonauts and the Roughriders are three of the four oldest professional football teams and the Argonauts have the oldest, continuous use, team name in North American sports.

Some current jerseys notwithstanding, all CFL teams are heritage brands. Even the dumb named RedBlacks have their dumb name and their look because of the heritage of Canadian football in Ottawa.

I think the Elks and their brand slide in quite nicely to the fabric of the CFL. It looks historical, and is based in actual heritage, and does not seem like something that was created in the years of 2020-2021 (in a good way).

IbjBaeE.png

Archived