Edmonton CFL team rebrands as "Elks"

Sec19Row53

27 minutes ago, QCS said:

"87ers" is five syllables. That's a lot of syllables to say, in my opinion, especially when "Delaware" is only three. In my opinion, the closer you can get to two syllables (or one), the better and less clunky the name is. Bonus if the city name is two syllables as well.

Philadelphia Seventy-Sixers (10)

Inland Empire Sixty-Sixers (9)

San Francisco Forty-Niners (8)

Delaware Eighty-Seveners (8)

I think Washington Thirty-Twos (6), which is an even split between city (3) and name (3), would bode well amongst syllable aficionados. Especially if you can just shorten it by 1 syllable to DC Thirty-Twos (5) or go further and shorten it by 2 by calling them the DC ‘Twos (3).

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

Philadelphia Seventy-Sixers (10)

Inland Empire Sixty-Sixers (9)

San Francisco Forty-Niners (8)

Delaware Eighty-Seveners (8)

I think Washington Thirty-Twos (6), which is an even split between city (3) and name (3), would bode well amongst syllable aficionados. Especially if you can just shorten it by 1 syllable to DC Thirty-Twos (5) or go further and shorten it by 2 by calling them the DC ‘Twos (3).

Yeah all four of those are bad. I give 49ers a slight pass because a "49er" was a thing, but it's not great. 32s is just a weird name. It's not like there are 32 players on a football team, it's 32 because there are 32 NFL teams? I'm honestly not sure. As a grandfathered-in nickname, it's fine. As a modern rebrand? Terrible.

the user formerly known as cdclt

32s? Doesn't exactly roll off the tongue and doesn't mean anything to anyone. Nobody cares about the Boston football Braves, and their choice of ripping off the baseball Braves with a word people probably shouldn't say is why we're in this mess (that and the cops murdered a black guy). It's gonna be Red something.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

40 minutes ago, QCS said:

Yeah all four of those are bad. I give 49ers a slight pass because a "49er" was a thing, but it's not great. 32s is just a weird name. It's not like there are 32 players on a football team, it's 32 because there are 32 NFL teams? I'm honestly not sure. As a grandfathered-in nickname, it's fine. As a modern rebrand? Terrible.

As pointed out to @spartacat_12 earlier who had a very similar response, it references the year the team was founded, 1932. It’s a good way to represent the history of the franchise, IMO.

12 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

As pointed out to @spartacat_12 earlier who had a very similar response, it references the year the team was founded, 1932. It’s a good way to represent the history of the franchise, IMO.

Meh, doesn't make that connection instantly. They can keep the "Founded 1932" in their logo set, that's a fine enough nod to their history. Let's try and get a more marketable name.

the user formerly known as cdclt

12 minutes ago, QCS said:

Meh, doesn't make that connection instantly. They can keep the "Founded 1932" in their logo set, that's a fine enough nod to their history. Let's try and get a more marketable name.

Unfortunately as @the admiral pointed out, it’s likely coming from a name starting with “Red-“ which itself is just a cop out that Dan Snyder would 120% use to his advantage 

It's probably going to be the Washington Warriors. 

It was an option along with many other names in a list of names sent to Washington Football Team season ticket holders.  He'll probably keep the logo that the Football Team has now, wait 5 years and then bring back the old logo as a giant middle finger to everyone who forced him to change the team's name in the first place. I don't think he bought out his co-owners just to sell it to Bezos, after all. 

8 hours ago, Red Comet said:

It's probably going to be the Washington Warriors. 

It was an option along with many other names in a list of names sent to Washington Football Team season ticket holders.  He'll probably keep the logo that the Football Team has now, wait 5 years and then bring back the old logo as a giant middle finger to everyone who forced him to change the team's name in the first place. I don't think he bought out his co-owners just to sell it to Bezos, after all. 

The funny part about that is how they only wanted it to be a temporary logo, yet it’s being well received amongst the fans. At least the ones who welcome the change.

I kinda hope they put it at midfield this year.

Stylistically, I really like the Elks logo and I LOVE the name. It was a no-brainer and I’m glad they didn’t screw that up. I do take issue with the antler, however. They look more like a reindeer’s antler than an elk’s antler. Elk have a distinctive “whale tail” at the top like this:

spacer.png

I took the liberty making a quick and dirty edit to the logo, which makes the antler more elk-like:

spacer.png

23 minutes ago, 8BW14 said:

Stylistically, I really like the Elks logo and I LOVE the name. It was a no-brainer and I’m glad they didn’t screw that up. I do take issue with the antler, however. They look more like a reindeer’s antler than an elk’s antler. Elk have a distinctive “whale tail” at the top like this:

spacer.png

I took the liberty making a quick and dirty edit to the logo, which makes the antler more elk-like:

spacer.png

I agree with you but can't help but think that the subtle 'E' in the points is why they may have gone the minimalist route.  

zzPEfBm.png

I like the nickname but the main logo isn't all that impressive. At first glance, I thought it was for a hunting outfitters store.

In comparing this logo to the rest of the team logos in the CFL, it is towards the top near Toronto and Hamilton. However, it doesn't help matters that the CFL is a league filled with mediocre to bad logos.

21 hours ago, DNAsports said:

Especially if you can just shorten it by 1 syllable to DC Thirty-Twos (5) or go further and shorten it by 2 by calling them the DC ‘Twos (3).

Nicknames of nicknames suck.

I like what the Elks have done and can't wait to see the uniforms. 

It's where I sit.

the Crew, the Halos, the North Siders, the Bombers, the Buccos, the Bums, the Carmines, the Bravos, the Redbirds, meta-nicknames are part of the fun in baseball!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

40 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

Just so we’re clear... you don’t like “The Pack”, correct?

Not when referring to the team name, as in Green Bay Packers -- never Green Bay Pack. This is unlike the example you used above, the DC 'Twos. See also Arizona D'backs or New York G-men.

It's where I sit.

Archived